What's your favorite day pack?

Gunning5

WKR
I will be hunting mornings and afternoons, so not backpacking far or for longer than a day. What does everyone like best for a simple day pack? I was looking at getting the

ALPS OutdoorZ Pursuit Hunting Pack​

Thoughts?

87TT

WKR
EXO K2 3500. I did buy a 2000 but haven't used it yet. If there is any chance of hauling meat.

nobody

WKR
Where will you be hunting? Do you need to pack meat? What weapons will you use? What animals will you be primarily hunting? What is your budget?

For just run-n-gun simple deer hunting where you hunt largely from a jeep or a side by side, I love my Badlands superday. Badlands gets lots of flack and hate, and much of it is warranted. But I DO love my Superday! Had it for a few years and I always find a use for it randomly!

For day long elk hunts where I'll be hauling up to 100 lbs potentially, love my Stone Glacier X Curve Frame with an Avail 2200 bag. It folds down small enough for a day bag easily (storage capacity is comparable with the Superday), but the frame gives me the option to carry full, bone in quarters when needed.

Vastly different price points. You can often get the Superday for like $120, sometimes less during Hunting prep sales and Christmas sales. The Stone Glacier... It's not cheap, at like $650 for the frame and the bag. I love them both, and they both work, but they both fill very different roles in my gear lineup.

ZDR

WKR
Kifaru Spike camp but I gave it to my son. Now it’s a 14r which is great, but the spike camp was so streamlined and the perfect size.

cjdewese

WKR
I have the pack that you are looking at and so far I have liked it. I haven't had to pack out meat yet but for carrying everything I need and being comfortable so far I have 0 complaints. With that being said, I only hunt for deer so far and don't plan on using this pack to pack out elk meat.

Sealee12

Lil-Rokslider
Admittedly I am a Kifaru fanboy. I alternate between a kifaru Scout, Shape Charge, and Doorgunner. Love all 3, but find myself using the shapecharge most for PA whitetail.

I got a mystery ranch pop up 28. I have not hauled meat with it yet but I have no doubt it will do so quite capably. I’ve never had another hunting pack so I have nothing to compare it to beyond small hydration packs, but for what it’s worth I like it a lot.

Wapiti1

WKR
MR Guide Lite with an old Crew Cab bag. I also use an SO with a 4800ci bag as a day pack.

Both work.

Jeremy

wesley

FNG
I used a 28 for the first time last week and liked it a lot but I'm already thinking I need bigger...

My favorite day pack has emerged. Unfortunately it has the capability to be my do it all pack. Day hunts, 2 or 3 day overnighters, 10 day or more backcountry hunts, and meat hauling. Damn I love this Hoodlum! It does it all!

I will be hunting mornings and afternoons, so not backpacking far or for longer than a day. What does everyone like best for a simple day pack? I was looking at getting the

ALPS OutdoorZ Pursuit Hunting Pack​

Thoughts?
I have used kuiu pro lt 4000 gear back w a meat shelf, its exceptional and around/under 4 lbs. Feel free to use this code for your purchase with $50 off. Clicl the link and they will email you a checkout code. have a good one guys

For hunting purposes I would not use a true “day pack” as there is not an efficient was to carry out your kill. I would look at the major load hauling hunting brands. Personally I would get the Stone Glacier 5900. It has the most versatility. It works for longer trips ( up to a week or more ) fully loaded and in bivi mode it is perfect for weekends. Compressed down it will work for a day pack, a bit large but you will appreciate it when you knock something down.

rbljack

WKR
I also like the Badlands superday pack for times when meat carry isn't an issue. Works great for whitetail hunts because it has lots of pockets. Room for a bladder. Works good for carrying a spotter and tripod in the main compartment for scouting when on horseback too. Just a few things Ive used it for.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
it really comes down to the need or not the need, to haul meat

if you're not going to be hauling meat and decent 30-ish liter pack will do, IF there is a chance you need to haul meat- then a framed pack is going to be needed

the Pop Up is a pretty good option as it conjunction as both, it's limited though in that it's not going to haul a typical load out if you want to spend a couple of nights out

I had one and I liked it, but in the end I purchased a smaller bag for Stone Glacier (Solo)- if I'm backpacking for any length time I'll use my 5900 pack, if it's a day hunt (or a bivy overnighter) then I use the Solo bag

Best combo I've found is the SG Avail 2200 and a hauler frame. The two together will run you around $650, but you have a smaller day pack, a heavy hauler or combine the two together if you think you'll haul a heavy load back on your way in to your truck or camp after a morning or evening hunt.

JaredW

Lil-Rokslider
I used a SJK Hone for a day pack this elk season. I liked it a lot and with it's internal framework I am confident it would of handled an elk quarter just fine for the first trip out. On the days I was spiked, I used my Eberlestock F1 frame with two bat wings for a day pack and it worked fine too.

Sobrbiker

WKR
MR Guide Light for me, with either Cabinet or Pintler bag (depending on conditions).
After switching from a soft day pack I can say for me that the extra weight of a well fit frame disappears with how much better the weight is carried.