When to put your dog down?

WCB

WKR
Does everyone take their dog to get Euthanized or do people do it like Old Yeller? This is not a calloused response, I have a two year old pup that we love. What’s most fair to the dog? Death at the hands of a stranger or their best friend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We had to put a dog down on the side of the highway once due to being hit by a trailer and my dad "took care" of one of our dogs when I was young....No way unless I HAD to.

You can have vets come out to your house in most cases and do it right there instead of bringing them in.

crich

WKR
I’m pretty sure it’s nearing the time to put my dog down. She is a boxer and is coming up on thirteen years. To date, she has had 23 teeth removed and I’ve had to wet her food or feed her soft food for at least the past two years. She lost her hearing about three months ago. And now, I have to get up every hour of the night to let her outside. She seems to be doing great sometimes, but other times I can tell she doesn’t have long for this world and is in rapid decline. I don’t want to do it too soon, but I also don’t want her to suffer either. Is there a moment that you just know?
We just put our 13 year old lab down a month ago. She was missing half her teeth and we weve been soaking/grinding her food for 6 months. She had arthritis in her spine that started to give her problems going up stairs and she began to loose some bowl control because of it. She would get vertigo randomly every couple of weeks. We werent sure if it was seizures since she usually recovered after 10 min or so. Randomly shed jump and play like a puppy and once it twice a day she'd roll and play on her back and act like she had no issues. Its so hard to tell exactly what theyre dealing with since they hide pain so well. Most of the day she would be in her crate on her dog bed sleeping or licking the bed to the point the entire thing was soaked. We knew she was in discomfort because of several different issues. The culmination led us to make the decision to out her down. It wasnt fair to her for us to make the selfish decision to prolong her suffering even if we didnt know for sure the extent of it. We kept questioning whether it was too early but ultimately took her in. Its a hard decision wish you the best.

Last edited:

Moserkr

WKR
Ive made the decision twice. First was when I was young ~12 years old, one of our family dogs, Bailey, had cancer at 8 years old. Was more my dog than anyone else in the family, so parents let me make the call. One day she wouldnt get up out of her kennel, and when i was petting her she put both paws in my hand, which had never happened before. Took that as a sign that she was saying to me its time.

Second time was my dog Jake, who I raised from a pup when I was 20. Had to put him down at 12 years old after multiple health issues over the years. He had been having some seizures and a bad cough towards the end. I could have put him down multiple times and did not because he still fought to live as best he could. He would mainly lie around sleeping most of the day, was happy just to be pet and lay on the porch sniffing the air. Great hunting dog, best nose Ive ever seen outside of hound dogs. Something happened one day internally and it was obvious it was time. He was going to die slowly in my arms in pain, or quicker at the vet. I picked him up in his bed since he couldnt walk (100+ lbs) and drove him to the vet to be put down. Stayed with him to the end. Either way its the hardest choice to ever have to make if you treat your dog like family.

Im just thankful I was home that day to say goodbye and take him myself. When people say you will know when its time, its true. Just a huge variable though on so many levels. Make a choice and dont regret it. Our friends have short lives and dont get to be around with us forever. Feel for ya.

Stugotz

FNG
I have a lab that just turned 13. He is loosing his hearing and forming cataracts in his eyes. He doesn't appear to be suffering in any way though. I know he's getting really close to the end, but he still seems to be enjoying life. Time will tell...

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
Does everyone take their dog to get Euthanized or do people do it like Old Yeller? This is not a calloused response, I have a two year old pup that we love. What’s most fair to the dog? Death at the hands of a stranger or their best friend?

Made the tough decision to do it myself last summer with my husky. He was 13 or 14 rescued him when 3. Glaucoma took one his eyes at age 11 and a failed cataract surgery in his other 2 years later left him fairly blind. He had the house memorized and did ok for awhile but could tell he getting weak and tired. Took him on our favorite hike last summer. No anxiety, no strangers, no cold table. Only fresh air, sunshine he died doing what he loved. It was only a couple miles but it’s definitely the longest pack out ive done. Looking back on it I wouldn’t change a thing and planning to do the same when it’s his younger brothers time.

cnelk

WKR

I put my 16 year old golden down last August.

I called a company that came right to my house.

They sedated him, and we said goodbye for the shot, right in the yard.

They then took him away and about 4 days later I got a box with his ashes.

He’s buried right where he passed away

F81CA977-759D-40F1-8E6F-BF7D7D48309A.jpeg

jimh406

WKR
At the point the quality of life is not good, it's time. Based only on the OPs description, I think it's time.

It's a tough thing to do when you are with your dog being euthanized, but I think most people don't euthanize because they can't stand the thought of being without the dog. I wouldn't personally shoot a dog of mine unless there was literally no other option.

MattB

WKR
We are boxer people too. The best advice I can give is make the decision as objectively as possible considering your dog's comfort and not you, your family, or the kids feeling/schedules.

Man what a tough read. I’m really sorry your dog is getting close to that time. We have two boxers and I can’t even imagine what it’s going to be like when it’s time. I feel for you and your family man.

RAAAR

FNG

I have not taken mine to the vet, it's hard but I'd rather take care of that myself

I would say make the dogs quality of life be your guide.

We waited too long with the family lab years ago. He was in a lot of pain from joint and spine issues. We kept him going with meds and a lot of vet visits because we couldn’t let go. In the end, we were just being selfish And he was hurting. When we finally had him put down it was more of a relief than we expected.

So sorry to read this, as I have been there before. My advice - switch roles with your dog. in fact, forget about dog or human. Ask yourself - if I was this sick, would I want my friend to help me end the suffering, or would I want to keep going? There’s no wrong or right answer there, but that’s what it boils down to. Wishing you the best.

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
Made the call when it became a quality of life issue for my lab. Was my best bud for 13 years, it sucks and was terrible but would have been selfish to put him on a bunch of meds to keeps him going a little longer.

If I could have taken him out to the place we used to bird hunt in NV would have done it there but had moved to Texas at that point and took him to A&M to do it. He loved that clinic and worked as a therapy dog there and in the area, the vet he used to work with came in to do. 9 years ago and still miss that dog

I had one beagle that I had to do myself. Wife and I got home from work and she was seizing and howling like she was in pain. Couldn't get up. I didn't want to take the time to take her to the emergency vet so I just carried her to the yard and did it myself with a .22 pistol.
Recently we have started using vets that will come to the house. We have done two cats that way and will do our current three dogos that way when it comes time, which it will be soon as the two older ones are 12 and 11.

I didn't read all the responses... Because of... Allergies...

The last dog I had to have put down, our vet (that knows our family well, wife and I, parents, sister...) and his wife told my wife that by the time people decide it's time, it's actually past time.

She told me a few weeks later and I knew they were right.