Where does the dog go in your truck?

DuckDogDr

WKR
Ill provide photo evidence as cases roll in. I missed an opportunity 2 days ago. Just before posting. If I can persuade one or 2 people with pictures maybe I can help one dog….

Sorry to get on a soap box .. but Vet care … even for my own personal pets is getting to be cost prohibitive. We’re having to compete for a lot of the same supplies Human hospitals use.. .. and they are willing to pay more … so we have to as well… it sucks.. a lot of that is being blamed on Covid … and there are SOME medications I can understand/ see … but some stuff we’re left scratching our own heads of why it costs so much… I wish I had a better reason but I don’t.

I recommend starting a high yield savings account.. some of these bad road rash / de-gloving injuries - combined with open fractures can reach even 6 or 10k with all the increase in costs lately. People want a higher standard of care and unfortunately not the premium with it..

Had a case 2 weeks ago.. dog was riding in back of truck on a lead ..dog either fell out or jumped out and was drug -about 1-200 yards before owner could stop..
they thought I was price gouging if you will when they wanted to save the leg… but dog had 2 open fractures … was missing about a foot of skin right over surgery site ..
That wound can’t be closed immediately… we literally didn’t have enough skin .. and even if we did the wound was too contaminated and would need to be flushed daily prior to a metal plate being implanted .. as would have served as source of future infections

2 weeks 24 hr hospitalization
Daily sedation with bandage changes and wound debridement
Radiographs
Medications to monitor irregular heart beat following bruising on chest
Constant pain drip ( fentanyl)
3 different antibiotics every 8 hours
Management of urinary catheter as dog didn’t want to get up to pee and was easier manage
The food, water and potty pads for 2 weeks
Subsequently 1.5 hrs of surgery, bone plates and screws

Bill would have easily bumped 8k had they consented to treatment

Last edited:

Tod osier

WKR
center console. :)

MG0b6Ca.jpg

Wanted to update this...

zjpMeZI.jpg

Dogone

FNG
When guiding dogs are in crate in box. The rest of year they are pretty much where they please in crew cab. Sometimes all three in a pile in one seat. Dogs have no manners.

Attachments

• Resized_20221121_154121.jpeg
    Resized_20221121_154121.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 46

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
Dogs go in the bed (I have a canopy). If no canopy, I suggest clipping them into a line up near the cab, make it just long enough so they can peak around the cab, but not long enough that they can jump over the side of the bed and hang themselves. Alternatively, you can put a kennel in the bed.

I dislike having them in the cab. I don't want to smell them and I don't want to hear them, but maybe yours aren't a bunch of savages like mine are.
I’d let the dog ride up front with me wife can ride in the back 😂😂

KurtR

WKR
This escalated quickly Kurt
When you start comparing having two or three gunners and if you get any thing with them the ainley boxes are really not that much more. They stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter and are safe for dogs to travel in . The cool in the summer is a big deal for me when running tests and its always hot. Probably not practical for most people as taking in and out out the back is a pain in the ass.

TSAMP

WKR
When you start comparing having two or three gunners and if you get any thing with them the ainley boxes are really not that much more. They stay cool in the summer and warm in the winter and are safe for dogs to travel in . The cool in the summer is a big deal for me when running tests and its always hot. Probably not practical for most people as taking in and out out the back is a pain in the ass.
Ainleys is only 40 min from me. I think you could buy 15-20 gunners for that image you shared, although obviously that isn't practical. I need to reach back out to them to compare but my initial findings were a 2 hole dog box from them would easily be double what 2 gunners were, if not more.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
That large is truly massive.
It really is. My GSP that rides in it is 67lbs. He technically fits in the Intermediate, however, its tight and with 3hr drives every Friday during hunting season plus a MT and SD drive, I opted for the Large. Pain in my ass, but worth it, IMO.

KurtR

WKR
Ainleys is only 40 min from me. I think you could buy 15-20 gunners for that image you shared, although obviously that isn't practical. I need to reach back out to them to compare but my initial findings were a 2 hole dog box from them would easily be double what 2 gunners were, if not more.
Other problem is they are about 2 years out to get on built. My friend will have a 2 hole slide in for sale when his gets done. He wants $2800.00 for it . I should buy it but not in the cards for me for a couple years.

Ainley box.jpg

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
I'm not sure if I updated this thread with my decision but I went with a 4 door F-150 and it's been great! Dog rides on the floor in the back and doesn't seem to mind at all.

KurtR

WKR
They are out looking for a dog right now that was in the cab with its owner. When it flipped they were both ejected guy is dead they think the dog is still alive.

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Gunner kennel and while it is heavy to haul around it is definitely an upgrade over the flimsy crate we borrowed when she was a puppy. I have put it in a RAV4, a Sequoia, and in the back seat of my Tundra and a GMC 2500. The Rav is tight and you lose use of the back seats, the sequoia it fits well and still allows enough room for 4 people and their stuff for a weekend trip.

In the back seat of my tundra and the GMC it takes up two seats but allows a third person in the single back seat. She is on the smaller side for a golden around 50 pounds so we went with the intermediate size and it fits her perfectly.

IMG_7824.jpegIMG_7579.jpegIMG_7525.jpeg

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are out looking for a dog right now that was in the cab with its owner. When it flipped they were both ejected guy is dead they think the dog is still alive.
Stories like that make my heart hurt. My dog used to ride in the cab with me. Then I read/saw some studies on even small fender bender accidents and dogs getting seriously injured. I have too much time and money wrapped into my bird dogs. Investment in secured kennels was an easy decision.

DosAmigos

FNG
Both of mine ride in Gunners.

Attachments

• IMG_5822.jpeg
    IMG_5822.jpeg
    413.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5817.jpeg
    IMG_5817.jpeg
    585.5 KB · Views: 37