Which Bino harness and why....

jr8fish

Lil-Rokslider
I am the designer of the Adak Bino System. You can see a short video showcasing the functionality of the harness on my instagram account @yates_in_the_backcountry . Or the video on the Black Ovis Website:

https://www.blackovis.com/adak-coyote-bino-system

The gist of the story is that like many of you on this thread, I didn’t love any of the harnesses on the market so I decided to make my own that fits my needs.

Back in early 2015 I created the design with my wife on our kitchen table. In 2014 I had two experiences that lead me to designing a system that would put my rangefinder on my chest. 1) I was pursuing a 180 class mule deer on our extended archery hunt in late November and got within range but couldnt get a range because I had been carrying my rangefinder in a crooked horn range finder pouch that left the optic open to accumulated snow. Trying to get the snow out of the optic, the deer caught my movement and busted. 2) The final days of our extended archery elk hunt I was in range of a 5x6 bull that was meandering through oak brush. I ranged the spot I thought he'd come through and set my rangefinder down on the snow. it then slide down the hillside on the snow crust... the bull ended up coming further back than I thought and I guessed the range and shot low. So after these two experiences I committed to inventing something new for me, myself, to use to solve this problem.

Fast forward to 2015 I had a working system put together that I used for the 2015 hunting season. I was presented two opportunities where having my range finder on my chest made all the difference. I killed a brute of a 35" wide 3x4 buck on a general archery unit in an extremely quick ambush setting where I barely had enough time to range and execute a shot and I killed a 330 class otc archery bull in an ambush situation that was much the same. Both times if my rangefinder wasnt immediately accessible with one hand (and quiet) I wouldnt have killed.

That winter I took the design and concept to my friend Kendall Card (co-owner of black ovis/camofire) and he was super excited to partner up and help me refine my design and get it manufactured. We started working with a professional seamstress/prototype to fine tune my design and implement a more robust sewing method than I had previously used. The prototyper took my design and refined it. Kendall in the meantime worked with his fabric connections to fine tune the perfect fabric. Key was dead silence. He visited several ridiculously big warehouses of fabric and he couldn’t find the right one, so we built a new fabric from the ground up. It’s a dwr treated woven polyester nylon blend with a bonded fleece backer. The very first thing you will notice is how incredibly soft and quiet the fabric is to the touch. It literally doesn’t make noise as you scratch at it with your finger nail. Kendall hit the fabric out of the park. Its perfect for this application.

The perfect design and sewing method we iterated on for almost 3 years. My closest friends and I have been running various prototypes of the system since 2015. It took 3 years because Kendall and I agreed that we wanted to release in our minds the perfect optics harness solution. We iterated to fine to the smallest of details and fully evaluate the durability of the system.

The bare system is a minimalist design with a very robust wing system that allows for modularity to add accessory pockets for the guys who want to carry more on their chest rig.

The first pouch we implemented was the range finder pouch as noted above. Right now the system is sold with both the rangerfinder pouch and bino pouch together. Future pockets to be release are a general zipper pocket to hold phone, and various accessories, radio specific attachment, bear spray, and potentially a side arm attachment.

jr8fish

Lil-Rokslider
One point I'd like to make about the front two pockets on the bino pouch. These pockets are meant to be minimalist. They never were intended to hold anything more than a few diaphragms and a small bottle of wind indicator. I have had bad experiences with other harnesses where the side pockets were not tight enough and as I would jog I would loose the wind indicator bottle. I'd go through several a season because of this.

It was very much a point to design these pockets such that that didn't happen. The pockets therefore are a little tight. They will loosen up a bit as the fabric and sew lines break in and as the elastic elongates a tad. The point being that the fit will not be too loose or sloppy when the break in occurs. They are still plenty workable out of the box to get a wind indicator bottle in and out of and diaphragms as well. But larger items were never intended. additional accessory pockets will be available to stow larger things that can attach to the opposite wing as the rangefinder pouch.

jr8fish

Lil-Rokslider
A description and list of features of the Adak Bino Harness:

With a focus on a low-profile, minimalist design, the Adak Bino Harness System excels in situations demanding silence, efficiency, and one-handed functionality, all while fully protecting your optics from treacherous weather and terrain. This modular optics system was forged by the hand of two diehard bow hunters over the course of 3 years to be the king of all “Bino Harnesses”. Prototype after prototype were crafted to abuse in the field, fine tuning each small detail, until the design was perfected. Every aspect of the system was carefully engineered to exceed the demands of public land hunting from the desert floors to the high country peaks.

-Sized to fit up to large bodied 10x42 or small-bodied 12x50 binos. Future larger sizes will be available.

-Rangefinder pouch is one-size-fits-all and works very well with a wide variety of rangefinder sizes.

-First of its kind, completely modular Optic Harness System. Rangefinder pouch and other accessory pockets can attach to the Velcro wings on either side of the main bino pouch. Inherent to the design, the system is fully ambidextrous.

-Woven polyester-nylon blend face fabric, with silent/soft fleece backer and DWR treatment.

-The perfect softshell face fabric to promote durability and silence were not available on the market, so we created a new fabric from the ground up.

-Utilizes highly durable Hypalon fabric in high wear areas.

-Bellowed front stretch pocket to fit the essentials like wind indicator and diaphragm/reed calls.

-First of its kind closure mechanism that eliminates magnets and remains closed through the most intense and abrupt movements. The firmness of the closure mechanism is easily adjusted. Additionally, the elastic cord imparting the hood tension is easily replaceable after years of use.

-Harness was designed to hold tight to the chest and remain closed during high impact activities like trail running, horseback riding, ATV riding, and mountain bike riding.

-Fold forward opening/closing mechanism, emphasizing extremely stealthy one-handed operation.

-In the open position, the hood of the pouch drops completely out of the way and results in an extremely low profile.

-Comfortable, extremely low-profile webbing harness was iterated on many times to find the perfect shape and dimensions. The two designers of the harness range from 5’8” to 6’4” and the harness design works well for both.

-Velcro wings on the sides of the bino pouch move the hard plastic buckles of the harness away from the front of the ribs to a more comfortable location on the side of the ribs.

-Small amount of natural stretch in the fabric weave is the perfect amount to allow for some stretch when the harness is worn tightly around the chest and hard aerobic activity results in deep breathing

-Harness has generous strapping to fit a wide range of body types and is highly adjustable.

-Secondary bino and rangefinder tethers have a unique design eliminating hard plastic buckles near the optic that could potentially tap on the optic or rattle, thus eliminating any noise.

-Harness can be used with or without optic tethers and binos can be quickly detached from the harness for use on a tripod.

twall13

WKR
I briefly handled the Adak harness for a bit at the Expo this last weekend and I think it will probably be a great option for a lot of guys. I personally like my big old AGC as I've really come to like how it holds everything I want in one place and I always know where those items are. It's kind of become a thing of habit now that I can reach for items without thinking about where I put them. As a result I'm not really interested in a change at this point but if I was looking fresh today I'd consider AGC, Outdoor Visions (the magnets are my big hangup with them), and the Adak.

I felt like the small stretch pouches on the Adak would have been a little difficult for functional use because of the way they wrapped around the harness and how tight they were, but I see they were designed tight on purpose and for a lot of guys that probably works well. I like to carry my binos, rangefinder, tall outdoorsmans tripod mount (which fits perfect in the side pocket of the large AGC), windchecker, Petzl E+lite, fire starter, Tyto, lens cloth, and my tags in my harness. I also occasionally carry snacks in the "basement". The Adak won't hold all of that but it wasn't designed for that purpose. I was worried about the big pouch on my chest at first but I've found it doesn't bother me at all and the minimalist harness I tried (BinoBro) wasn't as easy to use with one hand. Everyone has different needs and preferences so it kind of depends on what you are looking for but there are several good options out there at the moment. If you want to add additional pouches for rangefinders, etc., as the Adak system allows, it won't take long before you have more on your chest than the AGC harness. That said, I really liked the enclosure system on the Adak, no magnets and a quiet, easy one handed operation. It's pretty slick.

jr8fish

Lil-Rokslider
very well said twall. It comes down to user preference. I’m a minimalist guy so I don’t carry anything more than wind indicator and elk calls in my harness... and my rangefinder of course. Not everyone is going to fit that mold. Evaluating a big agc from a minimalist standpoint it won’t perform well just as evaluating an Adak from a storage stand point doesn’t work well without the addition of accessory pockets. I had comments from people at the expo that wanted to fit larger bulkier items in the stretch pockets and I told them it wouldn’t work well for that. BUT it does work extremely well for what it was intended for... wind indicator and elk calls. The wrap around pocket design makes getting a diaphragm out of the pocket a whole lot easier than the tiny side pockets on other harnesses that you can’t fit your fingers in. On other harnesses my diaphragms would settle in the bottom of those tiny side mesh pockets and I couldnt fit my finger and thumb in deep enough to get them out. The wrap around pocket is wider and allows you to get your finger and thumb in there and quickly pull them out. The wind indicator and diaphragms quickly slide in and out of the pocket but will not come out accidentally.

The beauty of the modular system is being able to add volume to store things when you want to and take it off when you don’t.

I run just the bare harness in the hot summer scouting, generally run a radio attachment and the binos when shed hunting, and I’m really liking the option of carrying a bear spray/side arm attachment on the wing in bear country. The wing has good structure and is a very solid mounting point to effectively bare this weight.

I am a strong believer and advocate for the modularity that Kifaru has built into their system, and I wanted to bring that same effective modularity to the bino harness world.

ZachB

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Marsupial with the rangefinder pouch add-on. I like its opening and magnet setup and how simple it is but I imagine I would enjoy being able to put both my rangefinder and knockers in an AGC harness without the extra pouch.

SW hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Of the options that people have mentioned, which do people prefer while carrying a pack? Or which have you not prefered while carrying a pack?

I have run the basic standard elastic X shaped harness for years solely because its comfortable to wear under my pack. Some options look like they would be real uncomfortable and akward underneath shoulder straps on a day pack. Im talking about wearing with a daypack during the hunt, not while its loaded down with meat .

I have the AGC, I’ve used it shed hunting and about three solid weeks turkey hunting. So I used it a fair amount so far but not a ton. That being said I freaking love it so far. I’d feel completely comfortable recommending it to people. It is a little bulky but it isn’t in the way of anything and all the pockets are awesome for quick and easy access to various thing. For me I had face paint, chapstick, extra contacts, eye drops, a few spare shotgun shells, a garbage bag rain poncho and a granola bar. So I’d think it would translate good to mountain hunting when you drop your pack you can still have a bunch of stuff with you. If you do get one though for sure up grade to the locking buckles.

Anozira

WKR
Future larger sizes will be available.

I'm considering buying a new large bino harness to accommodate some bigger glass. In the past I have ran Marsupial harness but I like the ergonomics of the Adak. My only complaint with the Marsupial is that I seem to acquire a lot of dust and it didn't keep the snow/ moisture out on my last late season elk hunt since the sides are designed with an opening. I like that the Adak seems to keep your glass and rangefinder completely covered until you need them. Do you know when you plan to offer a larger size and maybe other pouches like an Inreach explorer pouch?

Ndstevens

Lil-Rokslider
I have the AGC, I’ve used it shed hunting and about three solid weeks turkey hunting. So I used it a fair amount so far but not a ton. That being said I freaking love it so far. I’d feel completely comfortable recommending it to people. It is a little bulky but it isn’t in the way of anything and all the pockets are awesome for quick and easy access to various thing. For me I had face paint, chapstick, extra contacts, eye drops, a few spare shotgun shells, a garbage bag rain poncho and a granola bar. So I’d think it would translate good to mountain hunting when you drop your pack you can still have a bunch of stuff with you. If you do get one though for sure up grade to the locking buckles.
All agc harnesses come standard with auto lock buckles at this point

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I roll with the Mystery Ranch Bino Harness for my Vortex 10x42. The pack has a stretch pocket on each side, as well as a two quick release straps to secure your binos. I use one strap for the binos and another for the vortex range finder, which is tiny and fits in one of the stretch pockets. In the other I put my wind smoke. A small zippered pocket on the front holds my lens cloth and elk calls.

MR also makes a bear spray holder which attaches to the bottom of the bino pack. I have a G20 on my pack, and keep the bear spray on my bino pack ... so if I drop my big pack for a stalk, I'll still have bear spray.

The hole system is simple, streamlined and intuitive. I picked up the pack for $50 or so on sale.

I have an AGC Kodiak cub. Well built but more than I wanted. I recently got a Marsupial. I like it better as its less obtrusive. They are much different packs. If I was really in the down and dirty I would use the AGC as it really protects the bino. If I was sitting in a stand or not needing full protection I would use the Marsupial. The marsupial is lighter and easier to use but doesn't protect as well. Different pack features for sure. I will predict I will use the marsupial about 80 percent of the time.

I love my AGC Kodiak Cub. I was concerned about it being too bulky for archery but it doesn’t get in the way at all, and it’s very convenient to have my rangefinder, windicator, knife, tags, headlamp and fire-starter all on my chest. To me it’s a must if you are someone who ever drops their pack to finish a stalk. It’s nice knowing the essentials are still with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im in the exact same boat. I love the AGC Kodia Cub

I used the cheap vortex glasspak harness last year with no issues. My rangefinder case attached easily and comfortably to the bottom strap and the mesh pouches on either side were good for calls and a wind checker.