which chainsaw?

If you decide to purchase a gas powered saw - I STRONGLY suggest you only use NON-ethanol gas in it. Ethanol wreaks havoc on a fuel system when not used frequently, it varnishes quickly leading to hard starts/rough idle, etc. stabil fuel treatment helps with ethanol, but if your local gas station offers NON-ethanol you're better off in the long run running that instead.

Mattys010

FNG
I have a sthil ms 170 with 16” bar. It’s 10 years old, has been great for camp/homeowner use. Using the premixed non ethanol fuel I have not had carb issues with semi regular use. It’s pretty easy on fuel so the $6 a quart doesn’t hurt so bad. You could probably get one with a case, extra chain and sharpener for around $300

Not really in the same category as a stihl or husky, but I have Echo cs310 that I have had for a number of years and it is great for light work around the house and when hiking a trail. Light weight and has always started great. I have a bigger husky, but the echo probably gets more use just due to it being lighter when hiking the hills on my property.

If you know what your doing and have some patience you can clear some pretty substantial trees with a small saw as well.

kda082

WKR
I’ll get booted off rokslide for this but like my Echo 400. I’ve ran Stihls and Huskys but the little Echo is easy on my shoulders and just runs.

Wellsdw

WKR
I work on saws part time, non dealer affiliation, (was echo). I’d find a well taken care of early 2000’ model stihl or husky. Due to less epa bs on them. Personally wouldnt get anything entry level stihl (especially) or entry husky. Pro level saw used over a new entry level. Not a fan of any newer echo The husky auto tune are very nice, IMO. I’ve also been very impressed with the mkita saws. They are actually German made Dolmars. And are stout! But not super mainstream in the states. Agree with the post above on 372xp as one of If not the best saws ever.

tttoadman

WKR
STHIL 021 16"
I take it apart and drop it in a 5 gallon bucket along with the chains, tools and oil. Quick and clean to pack.

ethanol free gas only or any saw is crap in a year. use the right fuel, go outside once a month and fire it up for a minute or 2 and your good for years of service.

If you aren’t going to be using one frequently, go battery. Homeowner and ranch saws are junk, doesn’t matter what brand .If you absolutely need a gas saw, stay with a professional model and find a used Husky 372.

keller

WKR
Jonserude all the way for me. Been cutting wood for 40 years.tried a stihl didn't care for it.

I have a Stihl Farm Boss and a DeWalt battery powered saw. The farm boss is a hoss. I use it on the ranch and with a sharp chain there’s nothing I’ve pointed it at that it hasn’t cut with ease. I have the battery powered saw in case I want to cut a limb here or there and don’t want to mess with starting up the gas saw. For what your describing using a saw for id go electric.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
Stihl ms170 or stihl ms250 are both really good little saws. Lots of power for their size and a good price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brooks

WKR
I have a couple big Stihl saws. A MS 461 and a MS 066 for serious work but the saw I grab first is my little MS 250 with a 18” bar it’s a very dependable saw and light weight . If you buy a Stihl have the dealer show you the procedure on how to start a Stihl and it will start right up and run great for many years. A battery operated Stihl is going to cost around $350- $400 plus a battery $150 and you should buy two batteries plus a charger for around $50....not worth it IMO .

Last edited:
Another vote for stihl. I have everything from 290 to 460. I had a husky once didn’t care for it. A friend of mine has a small arborist echo and it is a great little limbing saw. Definitely run premix if you don’t use much or at a minimum hi test non ethanol.

colersu22

WKR
Not sure what time of year you would use it but I think in Wa of there is a burn ban you are not supposed to use gas saws. I have an ms250 with 18” bar I take with me but I need to read more about saws and burn band and if it is the case look at one of the battery stihls.