which chainsaw?

Stihl 260 pro with a 16” bar will fit your needs. Only fill with enough fuel as you need for cutting task. For storage dump out fuel and run carb dry. Pro models always start with first two numbers even, ie 260, 360, 361, 461...

Rokbar

WKR
Stihl 260 pro with a 16” bar will fit your needs. Only fill with enough fuel as you need for cutting task. For storage dump out fuel and run carb dry. Pro models always start with first two numbers even, ie 260, 360, 361, 461...
I learned something new today. I always thought Stihl Pro saws were all even numbers. But just the first two! As mentioned before only run real gas, no ethanol.

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
You’re getting lots of good advice here. I too am a Stihl fan. Get a small one, like the 16” model suggested above. You should fire it up ever three months or so and make sure it is running well and starting easily. I am an urban saw user, and bought a pair of chain-saw-proof chaps. About 65$, but better than a trip to the emergency room, plus provide some peace of mind. And remember that gas/oil mixed in a can/jug should have some fuel stabilizer added to it to keep it fresh and so it wont gum up your machine. Good luck.

johnsd16

WKR
I recently bought a husky 550xp and have been very happy with it. Grew up with a old steel case jonsered and it was bomb proof. We tried a bunch of different stihl saws but several of them spent more time in the shop that cutting wood and it soured me forever. We used husky saws at work which was not serious logging but they took a beating from us college kids and always ran. A 18” bar is good all around, some times that extra 2” comes in handy ;) but anything 16-20” is good.

My dad was faller for 37 years and taught me a lot about saws and I use saws all the time in my line of work. Most saws will run well if you give them the maintenance they need. There are some models that stihl has produced that are crap. Research is needed on the buyers part.

I like the stihl 026 and 029 series for the occasional saw use. I personally own a 291, 362, 038AV, 2 044s and a 046 as far as stihls go.

That being said, if you don't plan on using a chainsaw every week, you don't need to be spending big bucks on something that won't be used unless you are wealthy. Find a good reputable saw shop that has consignment saws and consider buying one. You can save good money going that route.

Also, look at husqvarnas as they are good saws for the price.

Stihl vs Husqvarnas is like the Dodge vs Ford debate. People have their preferences.

One thing I didn't mention is I own a poulan pro chainsaw. Why? Well it is cheap and I don't care if it gets stolen while I'm out hunting/fishing, etc. Have had it 8 years and have gone through multiple chains and bucked a lot of trees with it. Consider going a cheap saw route if you find a good deal.

Last edited:
I have a Dewalt 60v I use for most of my trees. Love it! It always starts and uses the same power source as my Dewalt emergency lights. No muss no fuss - hit the trigger and go.

AKG

FNG
I already had 20 volt dewalt drills, sawzalls, etc so I decided to try their 12" chainsaw. I use my drills to run my ice auger for fiahing. I have a stihl 026 which was a nice small saw when I used it frequently, now that I don't burn wood it tends to give me issues, maintenance.... I really like the dewalt for limbing, light brushing, and I used it to top a bunch of trees that I was falling in my yard to prep a building site. That said if I didn't already have the higher amp 20 volt batteries I would have purchased something else. It is also not a substitute for a larger saw if you are felling trees or dealing with larger blow down.

GotDraw?

WKR
Main theme here is if you buy a gas saw then do ONE thing when you're done with it:

Dump the excess fuel then start it and run it completely dry. It will ALWAYS start the next time you need it. Ignore that basic concept and suffer the consequences. At some point, even the best "synthetic"/stabilized gas goes bad.

JL

Wapiti1

WKR
I've run Stihl, Husky, Jonserude, and old Homelite. All did fine as long as you took care of them. All were a PITA if you didn't.

I wouldn't get a saw smaller than 50cc displacement for an 16-18" bar. 60cc min for a 20-24" bar. You'll see smaller motors that run higher RPMs sometimes, and they don't cut as well, IMO. For general use, 50cc is a good size that isn't too heavy.

I still use a Homelite Super XL my dad bought in the early 80's. I have no idea how many hours are on that saw, but it will still pull a full chain on a 24" bar in hardwood.

Definitely learn to clean the carb. And don't run a dull chain.

Jeremy

I cut about 5 cords a year...mostly birch.
I have a Husky and a Stihl, both are good saws.
My personal preference is the Stihl...made in USA (Virginia Beach)
DavesDomain.jpg

I have several stihl saw from 16"-36" and they're all very reliable. Sometimes i don't start one for over a year and they fire right up usually, even with older gas. I do only use high quality non ethanol gas these days, not as cheap but way easier with the amount i use them. I have a couple battery powered ones and i would never trust them. Technology just isnt there yet, they still suck

Brianmp01

WKR
Stihl 170 is a good little saw, great for clearing and still can handle a decent sized tree if you need to. I run the non ethanol and have had zero issues with starting only using it a few times a year.

rayporter

WKR
for occasional use i put a dewalt in the trailer. that sucker cuts way way over its pay grade. and quiet. if there is other campers around they wont even know you are cutting fire wood..

the battery lasts a lot longer than i expected, too. no gas to worry about either.

there is not much reason for a bigger saw cause i am not cutting big trees down.

packer58

WKR
To the OP, if you go the gas route put it in a case so you don't get oil on your stuff. Also put on a bar scabbard to keep your chain from getting banged up.

I agree. Best saw Husky made IMO. Mine is a 372xpw. I have a Still 361, which I also really like.

I would buy a gas saw for trail clearing. I have been in areas with some large trees going across the trail home and I wouldn't want to be limited by a battery. A file, extra fuel, chain oil and a spare chain go a long way on a multi day hunt and I don't always access to electric.
The 361's were arguably stihls best saw. It's a toss up between them and the 440's. Pretty sure it's the 1sst time they came out of the stone ages and ditched their hockey puck antivibes and went to springs (almost certain the 360's stihl had the rubber anti's that were about as useful as a 2x4 for reducing vibe). I stihl ;) have a couple 361's. The 362's leave a little more to be desired. I bought 5 - 362's in one purchase all from the same lot, all wrapped w/ 4 20" bars and 1 wears a 24" cannon. 3 of the 5 need constant carb adjustment, almost daily. The other 2 run like the older 361's (perfect). I wish both saw companies wouldn't continuously try to fix what isn't broke but that's just my $.02

Main theme here is if you buy a gas saw then do ONE thing when you're done with it:

Dump the excess fuel then start it and run it completely dry. It will ALWAYS start the next time you need it. Ignore that basic concept and suffer the consequences. At some point, even the best "synthetic"/stabilized gas goes bad.

JL
As long as you let it idle to run out of fuel. You don't really want it to run dry under load, could theoretically cause damage over time. I used to always run it dry for long storage but haven't done that in a few years and it still starts up in a few pulls. I always use 91 octane ethanol free fuel with the Stihl hp ultra oil.

Samsam

FNG
I run a husqvarna 365 for my firewood saw, but for a truck saw and work saw I use a Stihl electric saw. The convenience of hopping out of the truck and ripping through blow down in a second is great, I can store it in the cab of the truck with out choking on gas fumes and if I leave it fully charged it holds the charge for a month even in freezing weather. It’s so fun it’s almost dangerous

Mosby

WKR
The 361's were arguably stihls best saw. It's a toss up between them and the 440's. Pretty sure it's the 1sst time they came out of the stone ages and ditched their hockey puck antivibes and went to springs (almost certain the 360's stihl had the rubber anti's that were about as useful as a 2x4 for reducing vibe). I stihl ;) have a couple 361's. The 362's leave a little more to be desired. I bought 5 - 362's in one purchase all from the same lot, all wrapped w/ 4 20" bars and 1 wears a 24" cannon. 3 of the 5 need constant carb adjustment, almost daily. The other 2 run like the older 361's (perfect). I wish both saw companies wouldn't continuously try to fix what isn't broke but that's just my $.02
I bought a Husky 372xpw and the 361 when I realized they were going to stop making them. Wife almost killed me at the time but I wanted the best of both. I grew up cutting wood to heat my parents house and cut timber for a summer job in college. Never did it for a living but I like quality saws. I run 20 and 24 inch bars, which is about perfect for the wood I cut.