Which CO units for first time OTC Elk hunt

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I didn't know there were OTC tags for muzzleloader.

Take a look at the stats, you might be able to pick one or two tags up with no points. Even if only one of you drew it would still be a great time. It's always easier to fill one tag than two. And if you don't draw, then you get a point for the next year.

Thomas11

WKR
What I think u aren’t even considering is the weather and access due to it. U have this grand idea of “backpacking” in. Hell u might not even be able to get to a vehicle into where u need much less pack in. Third season could be brutal

Be flexible is the biggest tip. It can be below zero with road closures due to snow or 65 and sunny. But be cautious, that 65 and sunny can turn to blizzard conditions quick and forecasts are a joke.

I’m going to send you a PM just to shoot the breeze since we are both in Oklahoma.
The last time we (my Dad and I) hunted 3rd rifle, things got really bad in hurry due to weather that came in. We were both well experienced hunters and had horses to get out on, but when we finally got back to the truck at the trailhead, we were damned glad to be there and not froze to death. We had to wait a week and go back in to pack our camp out. I’m not one of those people that lives in fear of much, but just my advice, I would not get too far back into the mountains with a young boy that time of year with you not being experienced in that element.

elkduds

WKR
Take a look at the stats, you might be able to pick one or two tags up with no points. Even if only one of you drew it would still be a great time. It's always easier to fill one tag than two. And if you don't draw, then you get a point for the next year.

OP
Sooner Wing
Having received as many comments as I have regarding the potential for weather in the third season I think that we are going to pivot and try to do an archery hunt instead. It will be cool getting in on the rut I just know it's going to be much more difficult. However, I am keeping realistic expectations and I imagine our first few years will be huge learning experiences.

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
I would say just dive in and get after it. Helps hunting and hiking the same area for a few years lends its advantages. Everyone wants to go deeper and further and harder to get away from hunters....you just cannot get away from the people. Be better yet if the animals are there hunt the pressure vs the animals anticipate them being pushed by numerous hunters. And hunting with a 12-14 year old I would not go more than a couple miles in if you plan on being successful. The country is no joke and have hunted with many people that always echo the same....I’ve been preparing all year and in superb shape yet they are ready to pack up and head home after a day or two with no animals and running into hunters at every corner...for example I’ve been 8 miles in from the TH and had dudes literally camp right next to us. Be in it to enjoy time with your kid in the outdoors if they will be bummed coming home empty handed I’d try a different hunt with higher harvest success rates in other states FWIW

Bob92057

FNG
I archery hunted elk my first time out. Mid September brought the
Monsoon rains. Just really kicked my arse for 5 days straight. The roads turned to snot and almost went off the Mtn road. September has its challenges in Colorado too. I was solo.

Know your limits and don’t take chances.

gabenzeke

WKR
I've done the OTC archery thing in CO a few times. No success with a bow yet, but there are a lot of people out there. Not just hunters either. Best piece of advice is to have several areas picked. Put an obstacle between you and the road. Steep terrain or something. And don't plan on going way back in until you have a good spot. Make mini one or two day forays into areas before really committing. Packing way in and not having any action eats up your whole trip.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jaspe

FNG
Hunted third rifle unit 25 this year it was very crowded . Numerous hunters on horseback . Weather was warm and only scattered snow. Feedback from many hunters - same story - crowded and only a few sightings of elk.

Kenai_dtracker

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted CO 3rd rifle this year for my first elk hunt. Opening morning there was over a foot of snow and -3 temps. That can make for some difficult camping and tough sleeping when you are constantly having to fill a small fire box in a tent. Speaking from experience, lack of sleep can really wear you down and take away from the good adventure that you are looking for.

There is no getting away from hunters especially in Colorado no matter what the season. You can thank all the podcast and YouTube channels for that. Start looking at Google Earth or onx pick a couple of spots and just go have an adventure

Go back and read the comments on this thread. Seriously.

Buy a point or two in Montana or Wyoming, fill your gas tank 1 or 2 more times and drive past Colorado to states where 1 license is good for the entire elk season, bow and gun and the number of hunters is a fraction of what it is down there. Camp low and kill your bulls at 7-9000 feet instead of dealing with altitude sickness and extreme weather up in

I swear if there were OTC elk tags in Ohio there would be 1.5 million elk hunters there.... even though nobody would ever actually kill one.

I know I sound sarcastic but I’ve read a few thousand threads like this over the years.

^^^ Keep thumpin that drum about not hunting Colorado!!
I think of you every time I do Brad. I know you have your act together but there are always people who do. You’re definitely the minority though. I respect you for your consistency down there. If I ever wanted to hunt elk down there I’d hire you to guide me.

I actually have points for Colorado so when the time comes maybe you can help me. They are for deer though not elk.

In the meantime good luck in the Wyoming elk drawing. I’d wish the people I know from Wyo and Montana who apply in Colorado good luck but I don’t know any.

Last edited: