Which of these cartridges should I take on my first elk hunt?

BFR

WKR
Loper, you’re getting loads if options but don’t start overthinking it. One of my buddies has used a 6.5 Arisaka that is sporterized for 60yrs and has killed numerous elk with it, most were bang-flop. As for a muzzle brake, I’ll pass myself. My archery partner has one on his rifle, went with him once, no more, too freaking loud for me. I guarantee if you put it in the boiler with the 6.5 the critter will go down in the ranges you’re talking about. Conversely a borderline hit with the 06 could result in along chase or lost animal.

Muzzle your 30-06 and practice practice practice. Muzzle brakes can reduce felt recoil by approximately 40 per cent for the 30-06 according to some quick googling. Add a recoil pad with it and you should have a manageable rifle with plenty of energy.

You need a new stock for the '06! most of the issues with recoil, flinch etc are from bad factory stocks and recoil pads.

Many options for a rem700 action. Bell and Carlson is probably the best price/valu and will get it to you in a week. HS-P is also reasonable priced. Upgrade if you want to one of the many top end- McMillan, Manners, AG comp, etc but be ready for a 6mo + wait and 4x price., but that is the first thing I would do to your 30-06- a new stock with real recoil pad.

Last edited:

AgentVenom

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 CM bonded and as heavy for caliber as shoots reliably from your gun. I like the 130 gr bonded (tipped) by Federal (Edge, Bear Claw, ascent what ever they are calling it this month), the 130 gr. Scirocco is a dynamo though only loaded by Remington, and the Double Tap 142gr Bonded solid base should penetrate through a Mack Truck.

I’d shy away from Federal Fusion or their “Bonded” soft points. Those DO NOT perform like bonded bullets at all and are best for light skin critters like deer and coyotes.

And just remember our friends from across the pond have been stacking scores of moose, caribou, and red stag with the 6.5x55 since your great grand dad was in diapers. It’s a virtual ballistic clone Of the modern Creed.

Wapiti1

WKR
Either would be fine. If it were me, I'd take the 30-06 since it is a no cost option. I like a bigger bullet for elk.

I don't want a bigger bullet because the smaller one won't kill an elk. I want the bigger bullet for more insurance against something odd happening. It isn't 100% perfect, but I have seen larger bullets be the difference between a dead elk and a long day of tracking. Just my 2 cents.

Ultimately, shoot the one you are most comfortable with. If that is the 6.5, go with it. Bullet placement still trumps everything else.

Jeremy

I have both a 6.5 CM & 30-06, and an upcoming Elk Hunt. Although I truly love my 6.5 for mountain critters I’ll opt for a .30 cal for a critter as big and tough as a bull elk. Not sure which one yet - but my .300 Win with a 180gr TBT is the lead candidate right now, if I take the 06 it will probably be with a 165gr TBT.

If I were to take the 6.5 it would probably be loaded with 140gr Accubonds. The 30-06 165gr will deliver a bit more oomph and I‘d have more confidence in it on an elk. If it were a sheep or goat hunt 6.5 hands down.

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
This is an interesting dilemma. I have shot most of my bulls with a 7mm REM mag followed by a 300WSM. Now I am switching to a 7mm08 because of a shoulder issue. Cartridges like the 6.5CM and 7mm08 will certainly kill elk but we must be more sure of a perfect broadside and take shorter range shots. In the excitement of the moment this can be a challenge.

rayporter

WKR
lets say you have climbed a mountain for 5 days and it is the last day of season. as you near the top an elk is 150yds away and is slowly walking away and will be over the top and out of your life forever in one minute. will you have enough gun to shoot him quartering away and if not will you have the fortitude to pass the shot?

hard to say since you aint climbed a mountain for five days but think about it because they all dont stand broad side for 10 minutes waiting for you. it aint like tv.

BFR

WKR
lets say you have climbed a mountain for 5 days and it is the last day of season. as you near the top an elk is 150yds away and is slowly walking away and will be over the top and out of your life forever in one minute. will you have enough gun to shoot him quartering away and if not will you have the fortitude to pass the shot?

hard to say since you aint climbed a mountain for five days but think about it because they all dont stand broad side for 10 minutes waiting for you. it aint like tv.

Would not hesitate to use the 6.5, it will more than likely be complete pass thru unless it hits the offside shoulder then it will break the shoulder and may not exit thehide but the elk will be down. I’m not basing this on a love of the caliber but on a July 2019 American Hunter article by Arom von Benedict on his personal experiences and my observation on my buddies Arisaka on elk at 400 yds.

kcm2

WKR
Put a Decelerator on your 30-06, whether you use it or not. Both would be fine under your limits.

I would break out the 06’ and do some shooting soon... if you still don’t shoot it well, take the 6.5.
at least give it a chance, it’s a lot more substantial cartridge.

of course the 6.5 is fine, I watched a couple bulls die by them last fall, but I certainly think it’s the low end for elk.... like a 370gr arrow shot from a 60lb bow.... sure, it will work when things go well, but one mistake from the shooter increases the likelihood of disappointment.

the 06’ with a good bullet is a great option for elk inside 300yds.

I would say a good shot from the 6.5 is better than a poor shot from an 06’, but give the 06’ a chance at least by shooting it

HankNM

Lil-Rokslider
What's a 6.5? LOL
Only hunting rifle I have ever needed is my 06. Try some 165 Nosler AB's. Try a Hogue stock. Mine shoots out past 400 just fine without much recoil. Only need one shot............

In my opinion, people who are not sensitive to recoil always have a very skewed opinion on this topic. I personally am very sensitive to it. If I shoot my non braked 308 for a while my accuracy quickly deteriorates even if I switch back to a braked rifle. I have to spend some time working the kinks out.

If you shoot the 06 mediocre then brake it first and see if that helps you develop more consistency. (Hell I’d brake the 6.5 too, but that’s just me) You will not flinch less just because you’re looking at an elk through the scope. In fact, if you’re tired, just hiked up a hypothetical mountain five miles and need to make a high stakes shot on the biggest elk in the unit elk with a rifle you shoot kinda iffy... might be even worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coho

FNG
If you shot it well I would use the 06. The 6.5 would be OK, if it was all I had I would go try to kill an elk, especially if limiting shots to 300...so I guess that means that if you shoot it better, nit unreasonable to use it

Swede

WKR
Under just the right circumstances I am sure I could kill an elk with a 22 long Rifle round. It is illegal and totally inadequate for deer and elk hunting. Just because something will work under ideal conditions does not make it a good selection for elk hunting. I killed my first bull with a 6.5 Swede. At age 18 that was all I had to hunt with and it was legal. The bull dropped immediately. The situation was perfect and the cartridge was fully adequate. That said I would not recommend a 6.5 for elk hunting. There are too many situations where a good 30 cal. round including the 30-06 would quickly and humanely kill an elk where a 6.5 will not.

Hucker

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 “man bun“ is just fine out to distances you will shoot to. Look into the 147gr ELD-M bullets, get proficient, and go kill an elk. Bullet placement over all else!

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Some questions on the 30-06:
Do you shoot factory ammo? If so how many different types did you try?
Recoil pad or hard plastic butt like older Remingtons?
Has the trigger been adjusted to provide consistent weight?
Is the barrel free floated?

The older 700’s were built well, a little bit of tuning usually turns them into great shooters.