White Sewing Machine

wyodan

WKR
I'm looking at building my own pack bag, and was wondering if this machine would work? I honestly have no sewing experience, and could not find anything online. So I thought I would ask some people with more experience than me. Here's a couple pictures of it. Thanks

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449790368.417684.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449790380.491271.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1449790396.750780.jpg

Colby Jack

Lil-Rokslider
Looks awesome!!! How much? I would consider getting it tuned up before using it. Looks like it is just a straight stitch machine. Does it have reverse?

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
Looks awesome!!! How much? I would consider getting it tuned up before using it. Looks like it is just a straight stitch machine. Does it have reverse?

It's gonna be really cheap. I have no idea if it has reverse or not, I haven't seen it yet. My sister offered it to me.

LBFowler

WKR
Can't read anything in the pics, maybe post the model number?

while you don't strictly need reverse you really really want it. buy good needles and good thread right off the bat, will save you a lot of frustration. I recommend just getting a 16oz cone of your favorite color (coyote brown goes with everything!) of #69 nylon thread off of ebay (Coats brand if you can find it). it feels like a lot of money for thread but then you won't have to worry about thread for a long time.

OP
wyodan

wyodan

WKR
Dang, the pics a blurry. Anyway, the only number I saw was E-6354, which appeared to be the motor model. I haven't seen the machine yet.

I've been looking at how these packs are built, & figured heck I can build one of these. I'm wondering how big of a challenge I'm creating for myself.

WoodBow

WKR
You will find that sewing is a very valuable skill to have. Yes that machine will work for most applications. Its your sister, so tell her to let you borrow it and see if you like it. For buying one, id really recommend getting a machine with reverse and zig zag. You can find tons of solid older machines on craigslist for free to $50. Just look for an all metal machine.

Dan, my first machine was an old beast like that. It probably won't be the most powerful machine. And itll probably be pretty gummed up and slow running, but if you use a little lighter fluid on the bearings it should free up fine. Get a manual for it, or a similar machine, for maintenance instruction. Belt is probably old and may need replaced, no worries they are cheap and readily available at most sew/vac shops.
wish I was closer to you.
getting it cleaned and serviced will probably cost you 100+..... I learned to do it myself.
Hunt'nFish