Who here hunts with AICS mags in a bolt action

BBob

WKR
APA RTG bottom metal with a mdt 3 rd poly mag.
You wont have any worries about dropping a mag and its as flush as a bdl.
I have several of the APA’s. Curtis and Hawkins aluminum mags work well in them also and are nearly flush.

Reactions: WKR

WKR

WKR
I have several of the APA’s. Curtis and Hawkins aluminum mags work well in them also and are nearly flush.
Do you ever get the mags to kinda pop out when using the release?
I have to push the mdt poly mag out, its too tight to fall or pop out on its own like they do in a chassis

CMP70306

Lil-Rokslider
I have to push the mdt poly mag out, its too tight to fall or pop out on its own like they do in a chassis

If it’s sticking you can shave it down with a knife going a little at a time to get it to drop out. Thats what I did to get the MDT 3rd mag to work with the Hawkins Hunter bottom metal.

Reactions: WKR

BBob

WKR
No problem with the Curtis or Hawkins coming out, they just slide right out when you push the release lever.

I haven't had any issues with AICS mags dropping from my KRG X-Ray or Manners stocks before. I think that's more dependent on the shape and size of the magazine release than being the magazines fault.

WKR

WKR
No problem with the Curtis or Hawkins coming out, they just slide right out when you push the release lever.
I might have to pick one up then. Thats the only problem I have with the mdt poly. The metal mags slide out fine though.

Article 4

WKR
How do you like them? Do you ever have to worry about the magazine dropping out of the rifle if it gets caught on thick brush? Lots of thick stuff up here in AK to bushwhack through

How comfortable is carrying a rifle with AICS mags. Seems the magazine would dig into you if you slung the rifle across your back.

Thanks
Run them in two SA rifles. 6CM and 6.5 GAP and never an issue. Love having the option of carrying multiple mags for fast reloads.

Flush cups prevents all carry issues for me. Installed in every single rifle

11boo

WKR
The magpul 5 rd in a Ruger. They do stick out more than I like, but work. My only issue is inserting them on an open bolt. You have to be careful, or they go in to far and stick pretty tight.

This just hit my email. MDT now has a bottom metal for hunters that has a magazine lock so your mag cannot come out until you unlock it by pressing a button. You'd need to have a stock to put it in, not chassis systems, but still it seems interesting. It's at least something I haven't seen before.