who's hunting suppressed?

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
So I’m late to the suppression movement. For a bolt action hunting rifle in 6.5 or 308 caliber range, how quiet does a high quality suppressor adjust the rifle’s report? Does it remove the “crack” of the report? Is it quiet enough that you do not need hearing protection at the range?
I love the idea of saving my hearing.
Have those of you using a suppressor to hunt with noticed a difference in how game react when a shot is taken? I often hunt with a friend and if game did not scatter after the initial shot, we possibly could have a better opportunity to double up on game.

I have used my Omega on my 308 and my 6.5 CM, it doesn’t remove the crack because you are still breaking the sound barrier (unless you are shooting subsonic ammo). Game definitely reacts differently. Sometimes. I have had deer not even move to look confused to taking off like normal. More often than not they seem to run a few steps, stop, and then run off but it’s a pretty limited sample size.

As far as needing hearing protection, you definitely don’t need it while hunting but if I’m shooting a lot I tend to wear some just in case since I don’t want to mess up my hearing anymore than I have already. The 308 sounded like a 22 LR to my ears and the 6.5 CM was a little bit louder. On my 223 it’s pretty loud still and I would definitely wear hearing pro at the range.

Moneyball

WKR
If I can suppress it, I try to! All of my centerfire and rimfire rifles are currently suppressed and it is a great investment. My 5 year old nephew shot his first deer today with a suppressed .223! 77 Sierra TMK dropped him dead in his tracks! Super proud uncle over here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cgasner1

WKR
So I’m late to the suppression movement. For a bolt action hunting rifle in 6.5 or 308 caliber range, how quiet does a high quality suppressor adjust the rifle’s report? Does it remove the “crack” of the report? Is it quiet enough that you do not need hearing protection at the range?
I love the idea of saving my hearing.
Have those of you using a suppressor to hunt with noticed a difference in how game react when a shot is taken? I often hunt with a friend and if game did not scatter after the initial shot, we possibly could have a better opportunity to double up on game.

Made the mistake once went to the range didn’t take my hearing protection since I’m suppressed now bad idea everyone else isn’t

I've been hunting suppressed for a couple years now. Using a 18.5" 30-06 + a Gemtech Tracker. Really like the sound and recoil suppression. Drawback is the change in OAL and the muzzle heavy package that results. It's no a big deal tied to a pack, but annoying on a shoulder sling.

I've used in on moose, sheep, mt goat, caribou, and blacktail hunts thus far. Don't think I'll go back, but I might build a more dedicated package for it at some point. An (even) shorter barrel and a better balanced stock set up would make it more user friendly to the hunter. Might be some benefit to a short action too. If the gun was built with suppression as a priority, I think it would make very good package.

For long ingress or egress hikes, I will often just unscrew it and drop it in the pack. RTZ hasn't been a problem.

xX9qOUd.jpg

wW1ETgG.jpg

5keOLIE.jpg

Side note on the Gemtech. It's a relatively inexpensive unit, but a good match for a bolt gun. Overheating has never been an issue for me, even on extended range days. The drawback is that they got bought out by S&W a few years ago. Customer Service went from personal and helpful to full "big corporate" and completely useless.

I hunt suppressed and have several different hosts including a Cooper M52 in .30-06 and a full custom rifle based on an ARC Mausingfield action.. I've even shot a deer with an Accuracy International AT rifle suppressed by a TBAC Ultra-9 without hearing protection and my ears didn't ring at all, perfectly fine. I'm a big believer in Thunder Beast and have a 338 Ultra, Ultra-9, Ultra-7, and 22 Takedown. Plus I also have an Ultra-5 on order.

That said if I had to name a perfect suppressor host for whitetail hunting out east, it's the Barrett Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor. I steered my father into buying one and it's just amazing to use and see it in action. I will be purchasing one for myself very soon. The rifle with a Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x44 and TBAC Ultra-5 on it weighs under 7 pounds total.

Also in case it's relevant my .22lr hunting rifle that I use for small game suppressed is a Tikka T1X. That is until I rebarrel my Vudoo to cut a bit of weight off of it.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
I use my Omega on 6 different rifles, if i choose too. Lately, I have in on a TSAR 300- 300BLK with Hornady 190gr Sub-X ammo. Great combo for deer and i killed nice bear this fall with it as well. Short barrel with integrated suppressor. Overall length is only increased by a couple of inches. All you hear is a pellet gun sound and the action working. Get to hear the "thump" of impact every time i dont miss. lol

fatbacks

WKR
What are you guys using to cover your muzzle in the field? Still using electric tape to cover the hole on the suppressor?

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
I am a big believer in using enough gun. Subs are not enough gun. My go to rifle for hunting is a 300 Win Mag with 180 grain Barnes TSX bullets leaving the muzzle at 2950 fps. Lately I have been running a can on it, but that is to protect my hearing.

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
Currently using a lane scorpion on my 243. I’ve got a banish 30 I’ve been waiting 8 mos for approval for.

If I were to do it all over I’d get the lightest suppressor possible.

C74D4A4D-B22F-454E-9FC6-95D58136B2A3.jpegF811EAED-03DC-4B7D-97D4-06F449C672B8.jpeg0FFC7D6C-20E0-4897-BDBB-1C87A5C35D73.jpeg

Fitzwho

WKR
Definitely still run EP at the shooting range. But otherwise don't mess with it.

I run a Dead Air Sandman TI on my 20" 6.5 Creedmoor and 23" 300 Win Mag. Being a 30 cal can, I feel like it actually does slightly better on the 300 WM. But I bought a 6.5 orifice and e-brake for it, just haven't got a chance to shoot it with that yet.

It's definitely handier on the Creedmoor, since it will still fit into a standard rifle case with the suppressor installed. But I couldn't talk myself into a shorter 300. Had started getting used to it and then shot my new muzzleloader over the weekend and went back to my centerfires. It's ridiculous how much it cuts off the sound and recoil.

ID_Matt

WKR
I have a gemtech tracker that I use for a 26" 300 win mag and a 26" 6.5 PRC. It is great on the ears. Haven't used it enough to be able to tell how game react. I shot my buck this year and dropped on the spot. His buddy stuck around for about 5 minutes and had no idea what had happened.

The recoil on the win mag is still definitely there. The suppressor doesn't tame it near as good as a good brake but it does help quite a bit. I am thinking my next gun will be a very short barrel - 20" probably. Having the extra 6" on the end of a 26" barrel is just too dang much for packing.

rtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I have a titanium SAS Resistor that I use on my Tikka .243 Tikka 6.5 CTR and my AR 15. Both of my Tikkas have a 20 inch barrel. It cuts the sound down alot but I still wear ear plugs at the range.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
I've read that using a larger cal suppressor on a smaller cal gun is not as efficient, but don't know how much less.
So to say it's not as quiet as it should be as if it was cal specific.

joshf303

Lil-Rokslider
I've read that using a larger cal suppressor on a smaller cal gun is not as efficient, but don't know how much less.
So to say it's not as quiet as it should be as if it was cal specific.

You lose a few decibels, but the adavantage of versatility outweighs it for me.

Capt. Max

FNG
I hunt with a tikka 300 wsm cut down to 18 inches with a rugged micro 30. its not the quietest can but it has taken some abuse, takes the bite off, and smooths out the recoil. the micro 30 is light and can be configured shorter if need be from 7 inches to 5 inches. I always use sound gear insta-fit earbuds while hunting but never shoot unsurpassed anymore. Supressed rifles are a game changer if you need to take a second shot. I have 11 tax stamps and enjoy each one. I have to use them for work so I can justify the expense.