Who's Moose Hunting Alaska 2020?

AKBorn

WKR
Check your Itinerary if your booked with Alaska airlines and you have any connecting flights though american airlines. I got a notice on my app stating that i had changes. Come to find out American has changed and cancelled a bunch of flights. The nice women that changed my itinerary on the phone warned me to check my app frequently be more changes maybe coming

Alaska sometimes also changes their flights, has probably happened to me 3 times in the past 2 decades...good idea to check your flights online about once a week or so, and keep a Plan B in the back of your mind...

Well Cuomo just put Alaska on NY's travel advisory list where residents are required to quarantine 14 days after returning from these states. Luckily I am semi retired and only work part time. My part time job is trip and toy money, it doesn't pay our bills. My boss will be advised he can hold my job for a month or I will assist in finding a replacement for me. The office I work in knows where I am going or the state would never know as I am flying in and out of Pittsburgh. My boss is required to advise our county executive if I travel to one of these states and I would not ask him to jeopardize his job on my behalf. Bordering states which have higher covid issues aren't on NY's list because they have no way of tracking vehicle travel, they are monitoring flights from the states on Cuomo's list. People from all over the country are driving in and out of NY with no tracking or enforcement of his quarantine, this advisory list and quarantine rule for residents is total BS. The whole thing is political theater and has nothing to do with reducing covid. Oh well, unless something changes on AK's end I will be moose hunting.

Wapiti1

WKR
I’m looking forward to less non residents this year. Good year to be a moose!

On the outside chance that I don't get to hunt Alaska, you have to promise to shoot the brown bear that I would have shot. I was going to try to help the moose population along with bringing a moose home. One dead brown bear should be worth 5-10 moose calves a year.

Jeremy

VernAK

WKR
On the outside chance that I don't get to hunt Alaska, you have to promise to shoot the brown bear that I would have shot. I was going to try to help the moose population along with bringing a moose home. One dead brown bear should be worth 5-10 moose calves a year.

Jeremy

I think 5-10 moose calves is on the low side for an adult grizzly but I'm sure Nugget would like to help out.

NUGGET

WKR

Jeremy
I normally let bears live but I promise you I will shoot a grizz this fall if I see one!

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
How is everyone planning on handling pre-trip covid testing (if coming into AK from out of state)? Sounds like I wont be able to get tested before I leave without having symptoms so I think option 4 is probably my only route...

Attachments

• TravelChart_SM.png
    TravelChart_SM.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 29

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
How is everyone planning on handling pre-trip covid testing (if coming into AK from out of state)? Sounds like I wont be able to get tested before I leave without having symptoms so I think option 4 is probably my only route...

I’ve ordered tests from Everlywell and Picture Genetics. Both are sample kits sent in the mail, then you send your specimen back overnight. Ordered both, just to be sure I can get results within the necessary timeline. The Alaska COVID site FAQ lists a handful of options for at home testing.

Wapiti1

WKR
Mail Order was also going to be my suggestion. I can get it done at work, so I'm not concerned. Timing is going to be interesting to fall into the 72 hour window.

By mid Sept when I'm flying out, who the hell knows.

Jeremy

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
Didnt know about the mail order tests. Spendy, but if thats the only way then oh well. Reason I ask Is that my aunt is heading up there tomorrow and she cant get anyone to test her and shes a nurse, not even work will do it for her.

Thanks for the info, ill keep researching!

OP
Robinhood21
I just found a place near by that can test and have results back within 15 minutes. HUGE weight off my shoulders!!

Map of Covid Test Loactions for anybody who needs it.

The only thing that's still a little grey is the second test 7-14days after arrival. Not sure how that is going to workout since we could possibly be in the bush for 15 days....

Tjdeerslayer37

Lil-Rokslider
I just found a place near by that can test and have results back within 15 minutes. HUGE weight off my shoulders!!

Map of Covid Test Loactions for anybody who needs it.

The only thing that's still a little grey is the second test 7-14days after arrival. Not sure how that is going to workout since we could possibly be in the bush for 15 days....
And theyre allowing tests without having any symptoms? That will be nice!

Yeah im not sure about the second test either just yet

ColeyG

WKR
I think 5-10 moose calves is on the low side for an adult grizzly but I'm sure Nugget would like to help out.

It depends on the area and moose vs. predator populations, other food sources, etc.

A research paper was published in 2015 (link below) that I found pretty shocking. The study was called "Evaluation of Brown Bear Predation on Ungulate Calves in Southcentral Alaska Using Neck Mounted Cameras, GPS, and Stable Isotopes." The study area was the Nelchina basin.

In short, over a three year period this study found that brown bears kill on average about 1.25 moose and/or caribous calves per day in the month surrounding the typical calving season, or roughly an average of 34 calves each in that time period.

Consumption among the individual bears in the study varied as well with the low end being around 14 or 15 calves in the study period, and the high end being 46 or 47 if I remember correctly.

The study also found that it takes a brown bear about 60 minutes to consume a moose calf, 40 for a caribou calf and little evidence of the meal is left when they are done, which is why previous studies on the same topic grossly underestimated how many calves were getting munched.

Link to the Research Paper