Who's Moose Hunting Alaska 2021?!?

I started a thread similar to this last year as I was getting ready for my first Alaska experience... It was one I'll never forget. Unfortunately I won't be going back this year but am already booked for the 2022 season.

I thought it would be cool to start a thread for all the guys headed up north this year for moose and bounce things off one another. Not that this will help trying to get through the next couple months without going crazy thinking about the hunt haha.

Thank God traveling won't be as chaotic as it was last year with covid tests and travel permits.

I'm living through all you guys this year so lets keep the anticipation high and good luck to all!

dmc

FNG
Friday we booked a DIY boat rental trip for 3 of us. Starting out of Russian Mission. Feel a little bit behind.... ha.

Headed up Sept 4 for two weeks on a lake surrounded by 2 rivers. Hopefully we can report back with some stories of a miserable pack out or two.

I am feeling a bit behind the 8 ball on handload work-ups. I have been shooting the rifle with some various loads that I had laying around, and shoot the same rifle for elk, so I'm familiar with it. I just moved and need to set up the bench and start load workup this week. The pressure is on.

Last edited:
OP
Robinhood21
Doing a drop in Sept 10 - 21 through Renfro’s. Getting all my gear and food arranged is keeping me sane so far…..

Gear accumulation and food arranging helped me too. It all became part of the process I really enjoyed. Good luck!

Sourdough

WKR
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
I'll be washing the cabin windows, and oiling the hinges, so that when I crank the cabin window open to, be ready as a moose nears the my "New" just completed 17 foot high meat pole.
Does this qualify as hunting or simply harvesting. Note: The "new" super meat pole is carefully located 72 yards from the cabin window, to ensure strategic observation of bears and wolves looking for tasty treats.

I land on 9/8 and hunt 9/9-21. Life long dream and I can’t believe it is real. I’ll pack my gear in the next few week to check weight and space. Then get ready to do it for real.

mooster

WKR
Head up the haul road Labor Day weekend to chase bou a couple days before retuning to fly out for a DIY hunt during the 9/10-9/20 moose season.

Tormenting myself over gear lists and weight keeps my mind on the trip. Shooting trad and compounds, but probably will end up with the wheeled bow since the haul road bous are more of a distance game.

Last edited:
OP
Robinhood21
I land on 9/8 and hunt 9/9-21. Life long dream and I can’t believe it is real. I’ll pack my gear in the next few week to check weight and space. Then get ready to do it for real.

I was in your shoes last year.... You’re in for a treat! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russp17

WKR
Renfro's the 19th thru the 1st, will get to Bethel on the evening of the 17th hoping that we get flown in a day early.
They are likely to be delayed and you will fly in a day or two late... Biggest complaint on Renfos they defiantly don't work in time for weather delays.

JPD350

WKR
They are likely to be delayed and you will fly in a day or two late... Biggest complaint on Renfos they defiantly don't work in time for weather delays.
The dice are already rolled so we will see how it goes, the plan is to be a winner regardless of what happens!

I assume you're talking from experience?

AKDoc

WKR
An advanced welcome to those heading up!

I’m heading out with Renfro on 8/22-9/2 for a hundred-mile packraft fly-fishing float…with Caribou tag in back pocket. Then back out again for moose 9/9 thu 9/23. Eighth year in a row with Wade.

…my wife and I just got back today from a 10-day Dalton road trip above the Arctic Circle in the Brooks Range in the truck/camper!
10E1B5FE-B0B5-4C3B-A050-839CEA05AE53.jpeg

Last edited: