Why cant people accept the fact that some people dont need a drop tested scope?

Archer86

WKR
try isolating the weak point of your system with a scope that does not hold up to impacts…

Other than the barrel that wasn’t torqued on, those shifts are tiny compared to the shifts a vx1 was doing from 12-18” 😂
never had the issue starting to think some are just making excuse for all the times they miss a animal.

Never have owned a leupold so I won't Comment on there quality

Also you are probably in the 10 percent how many do you really think drop test there rifle set up

Last edited:
OP
MuleyFever
Using scopes that are likely to hold zero is no better than using scopes that are likely to lose zero? Makes no sense.

You are so emotionally invested in proving the people who use tested scopes wrong, you don’t think about what you post.
Wow, you're not even close. I have never once said what scope someone should use or that they should drop test their scope. I have only asked if some people have drop tested their own gear.

I bought SWFA and Trijicon scopes after reading about them here. So I'm emotionally invested in trying to prove myself wrong?

freddyG

WKR
Wow, you're not even close. I have never once said what scope someone should use or that they should drop test their scope. I have only asked if some people have drop tested their own gear.

I bought SWFA and Trijicon scopes after reading about them here. So I'm emotionally invested in trying to prove myself wrong?
In the end, drop test passing scopes have a much better chance of functioning correctly, whether each one is tested, or not. That should be common sense. The scope evaluations are information only. What people decide to do should be up to each individual.

WKR
Many forums are built on over focus issues and a good dose of anxiety. When something doesn’t match a person’s view of reality it does strange things to humans. *chuckle*
I think its a lot of this, and that goes for any gear choice discussion.

Also, people marry their egos to their choices and then post for validation, i.e., the like button. There's no reason to defend something over and over again unless you're gaining some sort of validation or excitement, the latter being more associated with trolling. Both are good for views/clicks/visits, social media 101.

To be clear, I'm talking about both sides, here. I think some drop test advocates are posting altruistically, but some definitely like to needle certain brand loyalists. And some brand loyalists definitely enjoy stirring the pot.

In the end, drop test passing scopes have a much better chance of functioning correctly, whether each one is tested, or not. That should be common sense. The scope evaluations are information only. What people decide to do should be up to each individual.

Common sense is not so common these days.

I posed the question a number of pages back. I asked to share how many game animals a poster had taken with the scopes that were dropped tested, and if they had ever taken animals with non-drop tested scopes or ones that didn't do as well. I don't think there was a response.

Has anyone that now uses a drop tested scope, had success with non-drop tested scopes to the point they would say there wasn't a problem with the lesser scope based on the successful harvest?
I provided info earlier in the thread with a photo demonstrating how a scope loses zero, but can return while shooting. I also provided info on where a zero shift caused issues in the field, but the animal was recovered. So yes you can use a scope that doesn’t hold zero 100% of the time and kill animals. Will it eventually cause wounding/loss/misses, yes! Previous scopes I owned would typically see small 1-2 moa shifts, maybe 3. But they were constantly being adjusted to be “reliable” in the field.

I also understand why people state that their xxx scope has never lost zero and works just fine. Are they correct stating that it holds zero 100% of the time, no. No one on here has proved it either, they just argue about it vs people proving what actually works with more than words. Just because you shot 100 deer inside 200 yards, doesn’t mean they are right. That is why they get so much push back on here.

Success of harvest has nothing to do with zero retention. People will still miss even if there weapon holds zero for 50 years. If you don’t believe that you don’t practice enough or spend enough time in the field. But why should we ever suggest someone spend $$$ and time on a piece of equipment that has been questioned for years and now proven to fail? People are here to increase their knowledge and success in the field!

The drop test provides no more or no less real information than listening to your trusted friends saying “I used a (choose your brand) riflescope and it never let me down.

If one understands the difference between objective information and subjective information, one would also understand why the above quote is completely and totally wrong.

CorbLand

WKR
Maybe it was just that your prospective was skewed at that time?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
In what way? I remember when you would start a thread asking about a pack and the vast majority of the responses would be “Kifaru.” It was really EXO that broke that response.

TaperPin

WKR
I think some of you haven’t been around long enough to remember when Kifaru was the only pack that one should buy.
We really are living in the golden age of backpack hunting gear!

Around 1990 I was sent a free Dwight Schuh to review - that seems like the first dedicated hunting pack other than a full size pack frame. Lol

We used to throw the fanny pack away, move the upper bag to the bottom, replace the belt and shoulder straps with replacements for Dana Design external frames. We looked like a yard sale with everything for a week long trip strapped on. State of the art! :)B0F03C4F-1975-43F3-835A-F78FA80C0632.jpeg

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
I think some of you haven’t been around long enough to remember when Kifaru was the only pack that one should buy.

I remember when littlebuf mocked people's choices! Lol

I feel like the whole "don't tell people their scopes may be unreliable" is a little participation trophyish. I try ( at times with limited success) to not push it too far, but if someone is asking on a forum they are occasionally going to get info they don't like.

CorbLand

WKR
I remember when littlebuf mocked people's choices! Lol

I feel like the whole "don't tell people their scopes may be unreliable" is a little participation trophyish. I try ( at times with limited success) to not push it too far, but if someone is asking on a forum they are occasionally going to get info they don't like.
I missed littlebuff, I think he got the boot before I came around.

I didn’t miss cliff tested packs though.

woods89

WKR
I missed littlebuff, I think he got the boot before I came around.

I didn’t miss cliff tested packs though.

Littlebuf provided some great entertainment. He was a little blunt for the internet at that time, and would really rattle the natives today.

There's some interesting parallels with the cliff tested packs, for sure.