Why cant people accept the fact that some people dont need a drop tested scope?

Ratbeetle

WKR
sometimes people have to hear they are wrong from multiple people for them to pause and think about something.
Well it usually carries more weight when it comes from someone who actually has a well reasoned argument.

If I ever change my mind on these tests, it's certainly not going to be because of anything you posted.

atmat

WKR
Sure, I'll concede that point. You changed my mind.
Honestly, it's so rare online to have someone concede a point and be open to having their mind changed. Big kudos to you for real.

And while your initial principle stands, that doesn't mean these tests are actually good at identifying poorly designed scopes.
Yeah, the two principles have to be accepted in tandem to find value in the drop tests. I personally think a few drops from moderate height on a thick pad, as well as driving around in the back of a truck, are sufficient to determine if your scope will lose zero during basic use. But others may disagree on that.

fwafwow

WKR
Honestly, it's so rare online to have someone concede a point and be open to having their mind changed. Big kudos to you for real.
Ditto and bravo for @Ratbeetle. I almost memed (I got distracted) something along the lines of "You won the internet today" because people rarely admit mistakes or concede even a point.

wyosam

WKR
No worries. So then the “factor in volume” argument falls apart, as we’re dealing with probabilities.

Which goes back to the initial principle:
  • Single drop tests are better at identifying poorly-designed scopes than they are at proving the best-designed scopes

Proving reliability is hard, but I think a scope is more likely to fail this test based on an anomaly/one off, than one is to pass by an anomaly.

Having one slip through quality control that wasn’t put together quite right sounds reasonable. Having one slip though that was a rare example of quality seems less likely.

I do think there are a lot of scopes out there that provide good service for people (including me) that haven’t done well on these tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JF_Idaho

Lil-Rokslider
I know Leupold in their own words have said that if you spin the turrets and return to zero it should "return to zero". Has this been invalidated? (I apologize for not going back and reading 8000 pages of 35 threads).

Sincerely just wondering if there is any variation in the results from such practice.

wyosam

WKR
I know Leupold in their own words have said that if you spin the turrets and return to zero it should "return to zero". Has this been invalidated? (I apologize for not going back and reading 8000 pages of 35 threads).

Sincerely just wondering if there is any variation in the results from such practice.

The two that I have owned meant to dial (both VX6hd 2-12) have dialed reliably and returned to zero reliably for the few years I used them. Neither was dialed extensively or to the ends of the travel- one was spun to ~9 moa rarely, generally more in the 5moa range for both. That is not the experience of a lot of people it seems. I trusted them until I spent a bunch of time reading scope threads on rokslide, because they never gave me a reason not to. Be warned, these threads are not budget friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Xyzzy

FNG
I'm a newbie.

I found this forum while searching the Internet for scope reviews.

I "invested" a few hours reading a bunch of threads, and stumbled upon the drop-testing stuff.

To be blunt, I had no idea scopes could be unreliable. I assumed a more expensive scope had more features or had a better view.

My time and money are valuable to me. Especially my time.

In the end, my time invested in learning about scope reliability, and the fact that I'm going to purchase a scope with a passing drop test record, and the fact that I now know I have to test my setup should, in the end, save me time and money, even though the initial outlay in both time and money will be higher.

Something to consider is that many people read forums and never post. Maybe a lot more than you would expect.

Posting useful and true information matters. IDGAF about how someone "feels" about something or whether or not their identity is tied to something. I do care about solid facts. In all areas of my life the simple application of basic scientific principles has made everything easier and more tolerable.

I am very grateful for this information, so thank you!

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I fell gong down a hill this year with rifle in hand. While falling I pulled my rifle up so as not to fall on it and screw up my gun/optic. It was fine. But I’d rather worry about my skull next time. I appreciate the drop tests as imperfect as they may be.

Last edited:

Bluumoon

WKR
I'm a newbie.

I found this forum while searching the Internet for scope reviews.

I "invested" a few hours reading a bunch of threads, and stumbled upon the drop-testing stuff.

To be blunt, I had no idea scopes could be unreliable. I assumed a more expensive scope had more features or had a better view.

My time and money are valuable to me. Especially my time.

In the end, my time invested in learning about scope reliability, and the fact that I'm going to purchase a scope with a passing drop test record, and the fact that I now know I have to test my setup should, in the end, save me time and money, even though the initial outlay in both time and money will be higher.

Something to consider is that many people read forums and never post. Maybe a lot more than you would expect.

Posting useful and true information matters. IDGAF about how someone "feels" about something or whether or not their identity is tied to something. I do care about solid facts. In all areas of my life the simple application of basic scientific principles has made everything easier and more tolerable.

I am very grateful for this information, so thank you!
I landed here after a rifle system failure. Glad I did. I bought into the Rokslide "system" but didn't commit to proofing my own sh*t initially. That has been an interesting next step. I would encourage you to set up a system as described and then test it for yourself, maybe start with an appropriate surface though unlike what I did at first.