Why do we burry our poop?

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
I was raised being taught that if you have to go out in the woods then you bury it. Unless I’m in an area where I need to pack it out, I’ll keep burying like I’ve always done. But it got me to thinking, why do we bury it? As far as I’m aware no critters bury theirs, it’s just a people thing. The only thing I could come up with was so that other people don’t have to see our logs, given the choice I would prefer not to come across anyone else’s. Is there some bigger reason why we bury (decomposes faster or something like that)? Keeping someone else from seeing what I left is more than enough reason for me, but is there more?

Decomposes much slower. But you can step on a filled in cat hole without getting thick, stinky, bacteria infested human waste on your boots. TP is probably another reason. Since people are starting to pack out their TP, it might not be terrible to leave poop on the ground in truly wild places.

Last edited:

Moserkr

WKR
I believe it is more sanitary to bury, which is something only humans would understand. Also it is unsightly to come across. But mainly Id say sanitation is the main concern. Also why you dont go within 100’ of water in order to avoid contaminating it.

Azone

WKR
The last damn thing I want to see is someone’s bowel movement. I’ve never stepped directly in one but have come close, I don’t want to have to lock eyes with someone else’s work. People also need to learn to use some cover when the bomb bay doors are open. Nothing like starting your day out glassing spotting someone’s squatting ass. Between crap piles and rattlesnakes it can be treacherous at times. But the ones that really get me shaking my head is when you come across one and there is no TP in sight, I’m all for roughing but that’s just crossing the line.

"As far as I’m aware no critters bury theirs"

I guess my dog and cat missed this memo lol. They suck at it but they sure attempt to cover it

As a point of information, some furry critters do bury theirs. Domestic house cats (which aren’t fully domestic) are the first example that comes to mind, and I believe mountain lions and bobcats usually do the same. Most weasels do, and several other rodents.

OP
M

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
"As far as I’m aware no critters bury theirs"

I guess my dog and cat missed this memo lol. They suck at it but they sure attempt to cover it

As a point of information, some furry critters do bury theirs. Domestic house cats (which aren’t fully domestic) are the first example that comes to mind, and I believe mountain lions and bobcats usually do the same. Most weasels do, and several other rodents.

Guess I had forgotten about cats, and the only dog I’ve ever spent at significant time around is my in-laws poodle which is the definition of a princess that does whatever she wants. I stand corrected that it’s just a people thing.

OP
M

mstei4

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve seen a couple people give the contamination reason, but how is ours any different than say an elks? I’m way out of my lane as to what I know about at this point

sndmn11

WKR
So my dog doesn't eat it.

I dated a lady who was all about camping and the outdoors. She had two dogs. This was the summer before I learned I had celiacs so I would consistently have the shits of all forms, suddenly, emergency style, and sometimes they were endless.
One of her dogs loved eating shit, and therefore he loved me because I shit so much. I would walk a half mile out from camp, cheeks clenched keeping the gluten fury contained in my body to attempt to get far enough away. It never worked. That dog would disappear for a few hours, and come back with his head covered in my bowel squirts, TP stuck in his gums, and I would barf.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I'll make it easy to understand. If you ever climbed out of your tent at 2 in the morning to relieve yourself, walked away from the tent and stepped in it, that's why.

Finch

WKR
I dated a lady who was all about camping and the outdoors. She had two dogs. This was the summer before I learned I had celiacs so I would consistently have the shits of all forms, suddenly, emergency style, and sometimes they were endless.
One of her dogs loved eating shit, and therefore he loved me because I shit so much. I would walk a half mile out from camp, cheeks clenched keeping the gluten fury contained in my body to attempt to get far enough away. It never worked. That dog would disappear for a few hours, and come back with his head covered in my bowel squirts, TP stuck in his gums, and I would barf.

I hope that dog wasn't a face licker! Be honest, is this the reason you two broke up? :D

We have similar stories