Why do we buy soft shells?

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Something I’ve been wondering. Why do we buy soft shell jackets? And I say “we” because there’s obviously a market for them. It seems like every time I’ve purchased one, I’ve regretted it because they’re too heavy and not very versatile. Am I missing something on soft shells that I haven’t figured out yet?

Ucsdryder

WKR
Good question…

Another one…grid fleece jacket? Why not a puffy? They’re lighter and compress down to almost nothing. Fleece, while warm, is a lot more bulky, especially in a pack when it’s time to take it off.

atmat

WKR
I actually think that soft shells are my favorite clothing top in general. The key is they’re very situational.

Meaning: I love them for around town, for taking walks with the dog and kids, and for skiing in certain weather. They’re a jack-of-all-trades garment.

I hate them for anything backpacking, though, because they don’t do anything great.

atmat

WKR
I've never owned a soft shell.

Puffy's are fine when stationary, but they're loud and don't do well with sweat when on the move. A fleece is still light, breathes well, quiet, and stays dry. Great for while on the move and it's cold out.
Do people really decide between the two? I almost always wear a grid fleece (usually lightweight) and then keep a puffy for the really cold days or while glassing.

rideold

WKR
I used to love my soft shell.....but it isn't really a soft shell by today's definition (old Sitka 90% jacket). These days I find myself with a pull over grid fleece, puffy and a hard shell. That pretty much takes me through the whole year. My 90% jacket is there for some situations but not as many as before I got my puffy. I still love my 90% pants though!

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Gues I'm in the minority.

Killed alot of critters in mine during the archery season. Can cover alot of differnt spectrums on the weather scale with the proper layers, and find they are abrasive resistant and overall durable.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I've never owned a soft shell.

Puffy's are fine when stationary, but they're loud and don't do well with sweat when on the move. A fleece is still light, breathes well, quiet, and stays dry. Great for while on the move and it's cold out.
When I’m moving I’m usually in a long sleeve merino, down to below 0. I run hot when I’m huffing and puffing. I bought a grid fleece from mtn ops so I’ll give your suggestion a try!

atmat

WKR
Gues I'm in the minority.

Killed alot of critters in mine during the archery season. Can cover alot differnt spectrums on the weather scale with the proper layers.
I don’t archery hunt, so I miss the early season weather. The issue for me with a softshell hunting is I’m often stuck in no man’s land: too hot with it and too cold without it. That’s why I prefer other layers.

Jbehredt

WKR
Good question…

Another one…grid fleece jacket? Why not a puffy? They’re lighter and compress down to almost nothing. Fleece, while warm, is a lot more bulky, especially in a pack when it’s time to take it off.
Them’s fightin’ words right there. I live in my hooded grid fleece all fall. Partly because of my shaved head. Always having a hood on hand is so nice.

hmmmmm.

they have there place IMO.

i concede the argument against them is compelling And when I am counting ounces, mine rarely make the cut. They are the classic Jack of all trades, master of none. Not waterproof, not super breathable, not that warm, somewhat heavy.

However, I think you can cover a lot of weather conditions with a soft shell. They may not be the lightest options but they are versatile. For anything 30-60*, moderate wind, light rain, mine do great. If things are hotter, colder, windier, wetter, I go with other options. I also think they shine when it comes to durability and they have an edge on noise. I wear mine in brush that would shred a puffy and where rain gear would be crazy loud. Mine see most use on day hunts and shorter backcountry trips. I have a kuiu guide jacket that rides in my truck as a grab it option.

I actually think that soft shells are my favorite clothing top in general. The key is they’re very situational.

Meaning: I love them for around town, for taking walks with the dog and kids, and for skiing in certain weather. They’re a jack-of-all-trades garment.

I hate them for anything backpacking, though, because they don’t do anything great.
Funny you mention that. We just got back from Wyoming, found a nice looking softshell at a Sportsman's for like $40 and grabbed it. Ski'd all day the next day in it, worked great. I'm not sure I'll ever hunt with it but it could work in the right setting.

atmat

WKR
Funny you mention that. We just got back from Wyoming, found a nice looking softshell at a Sportsman's for like $40 and grabbed it. Ski'd all day the next day in it, worked great. I'm not sure I'll ever hunt with it but it could work in the right setting.
I ski in mine a lot. Only if there is lots of wet precipitation or suuuuper cold do I move to a hardshell. The softshell handles snow flurries and moderate wind decent enough.

fulltiltaudio

Lil-Rokslider
I still haven't discovered why people like pullovers so much? Having a zipper is so much more versatile to be able to put it on over your bino harness/remove it, regulate temps etc. What am I missing other than they are a tiny bit lighter with no zipper? Why do you like a pullover? - not meant to derail thread!

atmat

WKR
I still haven't discovered why people like pullovers so much? Having a zipper is so much more versatile to be able to put it on over your bino harness/remove it, regulate temps etc. What am I missing other than they are a tiny bit lighter with no zipper? Why do you like a pullover? - not meant to derail thread!
Pullovers are stupid haha. Zipper all the way.

OP
ccoffey

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Good question…

I do both. The grid fleece layers I use are pretty bomb proof when moving through brush. I would never take my puffy through some stuff that I’d go through in the fleece.