Why do we buy soft shells?

Blackbird

FNG
I agree with the day trip application or when I know I’m going into some pretty brushy country that would snag fleece or merino. I’ll take some added weight over tearing up everything else I own in the thick stuff.

pugwylde

FNG
I’ve been a softshell naysayer for a long time. Always thought it made a lot more sense to throw in a light windshirt instead.

When I received a Sitka Evo to evaluate I pretty much guessed on what my overall thoughts would be (not overly positive). I was wrong.

For one the Evo is much lighter than “typical” softshells. Two with breathable panels under the arms and on the back, he doesn’t breathe poorly like most softshells.

I’ve ended up wearing it a lot more than I thought I would and has even made it on some backpacking trips where a softshell would never before make the cut.

I definitely see a use for a softshell in day hunting scenarios- they are typically very robust, they typically have very good wind and precipitation protection and weight day hunting isn’t near the issue is for backpack hunting.

While I might not always have a softshell, I have one a lot more than I did a year ago :)
Today I learned the Evo is a softshell... I use mine for basically everything, but it never occurred to me to think of it as a softshell. Softshell has always been synonymous with heavy in my brain.

Guess this means I'm a softshell guy... Damn.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I first thought: he's asking why we buy "soft shell crabs" :ROFLMAO:

And then before realizing you were talking about jackets, I thought, well, that's a very silly question because we all know they're nothing but fried goodness.

Eddie

prm

WKR
Has anyone received the new Kuiu Guide Pro hooded jacket?
I have a Guide DCS, but it’s too small and I have not used it in years.
I do not currently use a soft shell, however could use one for hunting damp, cool places with brush and some briars. Looking at the Kuiu Axis Hybrid or the insulated version too.

OP
ccoffey

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone received the new Kuiu Guide Pro hooded jacket?
I have a Guide DCS, but it’s too small and I have not used it in years.
I do not currently use a soft shell, however could use one for hunting damp, cool places with brush and some briars. Looking at the Kuiu Axis Hybrid or the insulated version too.
The new Kuiu soft shell ad is probably why I wrote this. I saw it the other day and looked through the details. I didn’t see a single advancement worth trying it haha. It’s just marketing at this point.

It's incredible how individual perspective is different. My first ever high dollar hunting clothing purchase was the Jetstream. I ended up a few years later buying Kuiu stuff and bought the Axis to replace it. IME it's heavier and doesn't cut half the wind the Jetstream did and doesn't breath as well.

You must have had the jetstream lite, that is the only jetstream that has been lighter in mass weight than the same size axis. I really like the jetstream lite and it’s probably closest to the Evo now.
I will agree wind stopping in very high wind goes to jetstream no question.
Sitka was changing the jetstream significantly every year until they got to the prior model from current.

Fletch

FNG
I replied in a previous thread asking why nobody uses soft shells and was put in my place. I’ve always carried a soft shell and never considered not using one. Now you guys have me pondering. It has always been my go too layer when it’s 30-40 degrees while I am hiking. I’ve used both the Kuiu Guide and Stone Glacier Dehaviland and I find them adequate for periodic light drizzles when the rain is coming and going. I also find they block wind pretty good.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
Something I’ve been wondering. Why do we buy soft shell jackets? And I say “we” because there’s obviously a market for them. It seems like every time I’ve purchased one, I’ve regretted it because they’re too heavy and not very versatile. Am I missing something on soft shells that I haven’t figured out yet?
Yes. Ultra Light softshells are a great versatile outer layering item. Get one without insulation and you will bring it on every hunt.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
+1 for pro-soft shells. Great for the average conditions in SW NM. I almost always reach for my Mountain jacket (version before the Evo) or my Jetstream depending on the season. It’s just not cold enough for a puffy most of the time, especially if you can stop the wind. Theres not very many days that a Midweight base, ambient hoody, and jetstream can’t handle here. Far easier and quieter to move in than a puffy.

Coho

FNG
I have a simms soft shell hoody. I don't take ii backpacking, but it is great for poking around, in camp out n about. Not seam sealed but great in 1-2 hrs light rain and blocks wind. Hard shell, puffy vest and mid wt merino otherwise.

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
I feel the same about a puffy. WHY?
I could see one for walking around down town, sipping on a latte',
but too loud and get destroyed out hunting.

Only have one, wear it cat hunting. Chasing dogs I seem to rip other jackets when in a rush. Just a durability call and usually not putting in the miles like archery or rifle.

Something I’ve been wondering. Why do we buy soft shell jackets? And I say “we” because there’s obviously a market for them. It seems like every time I’ve purchased one, I’ve regretted it because they’re too heavy and not very versatile. Am I missing something on soft shells that I haven’t figured out yet?
Totally agree with you. I purchased one from one of the major brands and never used it. Just did fit my application needs for active Western hunting. Too heavy, not very compressible, doesn't breath well etc..

Macintosh

WKR
I live in softshells hunting. So do a LOT of people—softshell PANTS. Just about every pant people wear hunting is what soft shell fabric was originally intended to be, ie reasonably wind and weather resistant, but far more breatheable than a hard shell. I think one reason a lot of “softshell” jackets suck is because most are now laminated fabrics with a membrane in them…I dont care what anyone or any company says, that’s NOT a softshell, that’s a non-seam-sealed soft-faced hardshell that isnt waterproof. No wonder people think they dont breathe, they’re using a cheapened fabric made for stopping wind on a chairlift or sitting on a park bench, not for breatheability when hoofing it uphill in weather. I am still using a hooded softshell jacket made of swiss-made Schoeller dryskin extreme fabric from about 2001 for ice climbing and backcountry skiing. You just cant get good softshell jackets anymore, at least not that Ive seen. It is not waterproof, but I rarely want that. It IS very breatheable, and it still keeps me dry in snowy or wet brush, snow, misting rain, etc, and blocks wind a lot better than a fleece. For a true high-output activity where staying dry is important I say there isnt a better type of garment on earth.

I use my firstlite catalyst jacket quite a bit. Its better for day trips, and its not quite as breatheable as Id like, but I hunt in it all the time.

Hardshells and puffys are LOUD, they tear to shreds in briars, and no hardshell breathes even remotely as well as a true softshell. Good for western (not up close) backpack hunting (weight and space, need a hardshell regardless)…but clearly inferior for a lot of other types of hunting.

Thats my story, and Im sticking to it.

Mojave

WKR
Even when Jason Harston was alive he said that he didn't use his own companies soft shell. He preferred the puffy shell combo.

I have several, I don't know what the answer is. They all suck.

Unless.

They are windstopper, and then you can actually get some use out of it. But it is heavier than a rainshell, some rain shells are windproof. Most are not.

I have 3 windstopper Harkila softshells. They are great. Except none of them have a hood, and I am currently too fat for all of them.

I have 4 or 5 Swazi fleece windstopper garmets and 1 softshell with their windstopper. All warm and windproof.

I have 3 or 4 Kuiu softshells. I wore the guide most of this year, and I don't think it is a good garment. I wore a windstopper wool sweater under it when I was cold, or a fleece jacket if it wasn't so cold. With a superdown under it, it is ok in the wind. But still not waterproof.

My thoughts:

1. Hardshells (goretex, Schoeller, or the Kuiu Japanese stuff or similar) are not warm, but they block the wind better, and are rain proof (ish). Tight ones allow you to retain more heat in the wind than a softshell. Not 100% windproof.

2. Fleece is warm, does not block the wind and is not rain proof, but can manage some light rain.

3. Softshells are not warm, do not block the wind, are not really any better in the rain that traditional fleece.

4. Windstopper garments weather they be solid fleece (like my Harikila and Swazi) or softshells with windstopper are the best compramise, but they are super hot and heavy. They are ok in light rain, but not all day.

5. Down garments, are moderatly windproof, not water proof but warmer than fleece. The Kuiu can manage some rain, but the rest can not. Kuiu down is treated.

6. Puffy non-down jackets are warm, not windproof, not water proof and may or may not be warmer than fleece. I have a Kuiu. It is heavier than down.

You can not have lightweight, windproof, warm, and rainproof. You can use a hardshell and a insulator like a puffy or down or fleece under a hard shell.

Softshells are mall wear. I have been trying this last winter to figure out my game. Not a fan.

A lot of this is regional.

In dry country, a softshell is a bad windstopper. But fine if you don't have a lot of wind. In New Mexico we had a lot of wind, and it went right through it.

In wet country a softshell sucks. Here in Germany, they suck.

If I was back in Alaska, I would not consider a soft shell.

Mojave

WKR
I live in softshells hunting. So do a LOT of people—softshell PANTS. Just about every pant people wear hunting is what soft shell fabric was originally intended to be, ie reasonably wind and weather resistant, but far more breatheable than a hard shell. I think one reason a lot of “softshell” jackets suck is because most are now laminated fabrics with a membrane in them…I dont care what anyone or any company says, that’s NOT a softshell, that’s a non-seam-sealed soft-faced hardshell that isnt waterproof. No wonder people think they dont breathe, they’re using a cheapened fabric made for stopping wind on a chairlift or sitting on a park bench, not for breatheability when hoofing it uphill in weather. I am still using a hooded softshell jacket made of swiss-made Schoeller dryskin extreme fabric from about 2001 for ice climbing and backcountry skiing. You just cant get good softshell jackets anymore, at least not that Ive seen. It is not waterproof, but I rarely want that. It IS very breatheable, and it still keeps me dry in snowy or wet brush, snow, misting rain, etc, and blocks wind a lot better than a fleece. For a true high-output activity where staying dry is important I say there isnt a better type of garment on earth.

I use my firstlite catalyst jacket quite a bit. Its better for day trips, and its not quite as breatheable as Id like, but I hunt in it all the time.

Hardshells and puffys are LOUD, they tear to shreds in briars, and no hardshell breathes even remotely as well as a true softshell. Good for western (not up close) backpack hunting (weight and space, need a hardshell regardless)…but clearly inferior for a lot of other types of hunting.

Thats my story, and Im sticking to it.
Schoeller is a hardshell. The fabric is like Goretex. I have a lot of it.