Why do you reload?

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Originally to save money. Later to again save money as family grew. Always satisfying using your own loads for hunts. Great to craft a setup for each rifle and for each purpose. And, because chasing that single bug hole group makes for a lot of confidence when pulling the trigger on future dinners. You get to really know a rifle when you handload for accuracy.

Goblism

FNG
Primarily two reasons why I reload

Pistol ammo- essentially to shoot more for the same cost. I have not saved a penny by reloading but I have a feeling I have shot 10x as much through my pistols. I was on a strong casting kick for a while and did not feel one bit bad about going through 400 rounds or more as it was only really $25 cost to do that between 9mm and 45 acp. On some of the more odd rounds it becomes even more important such as the 475 linebaugh. I don't even want to think about how expensive that would be to shoot regularly without reloading cast bullets.

Rifles: accuracy and high quality bullets. I primarily use the Nosler Accubonds in my deer rifles and have been 100% satisfied with the terminal performance. I believe there is less ES with a good reload when you get it on the node which can only improve likelihood of that one shot kill at long ranges.

I initially got into it because I had a great mentor that I really looked up to when I was just a dumb kid. He reloaded to ensure accuracy in his ammo. I do it now to save money (lol), I enjoy the heck out of it, and just like building your own arrows, there is satisfaction in taking game and smacking steel with something you made. There is definitely something to be said for accuracy and cost savings, especially in big magnums and high volume stuff for coyotes, chucks and prairie dogs. Now I’m getting into pistol ammo reloading and am enjoying the hell outta it.

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
I like to know the process of reloading and really be able to control the end product. It has always resulted in more accurate groups compared to factory ammo but I'm not looking for .25 MOA or whatever size people want to brag about. It's fun for me to find the best a bullet can do (with me shooting them) and know those limits to apply them to killing an animal. Some of the desire could be from the engineering background I have in my professional life too.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My hunting rifles I chose wildcats for performance, so I have to load for them. Factory calibers I load for precision.

Rock-o

WKR
Reason 1) To make the ammo I want to have, not want the manufacturers want me to have
Reason 2) So others don't know how much I really shoot

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
Im only 21 and I’m obsessed with it. I know a lot of people don’t start until they’re older but I remember when I still lived at home and being maybe 10y/o and my dad would try to talk to me about it. I kinda didn’t care at that age but once I started buying my own rifles I really got into it. I wasn’t satisfied with buying ammo off the shelf that shot average groups. I wanted 1/2 MOA and to at least match what my dads 40 y/o reloading handbooks had in terms of velocities (don’t we all want that). It was something me and my dad could do together, no matter the time or season. I get a lot of satisfaction out of having a specific load for each rifle that took me some time to find. And then killing an animal with that load and rifle. Idk it just means something to me. I look forward to see how much more I can learn about it. Hell, I learn stuff on here every day it seems like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roksliding

Lil-Rokslider
I got into it because my dad made me, because way back in the day it was cheaper....

( since my dad has passed away, his equipment collects dust and I’ve spent MUCH more money on soooo much crap, and it is no where near “cheaper”) my dad would turn over in his grave if he saw what I spend on Virgin brass alone!

I STAY in it because its actually a fun science. I can make just about any rifle with a decent trigger More accurate by reloading for it, and it’s a hobby now.... now I buy rifles just to reload for.. Now between other interests I read about reloading, and shooting.
in short it’s a fun to me hobby.

*disclaimer, it’s MUCH more fun when it isn’t “trying times”

Like most of you I started with the intention of saving money, which was really a joke because you just end up shooting more. At least for me, I have to separate sides of my reloading hobby. I load 9mm and .223 on a 650 which is purely for cost savings, and the single stage is really for experimenting. I love the quality control that you have over ammo, and seeing what I can get the gun to do. My most recent pet load to play with is a 90 grain hornady XTP pistol bullet in a .300 blackout for quiet small game hunting.

I started to reload almost 20 years ago. It was to feed my 22-250's when I was shooting a lot of targets and woodchucks. Very few woodchucks any more where I live.

I reload now more so to feed my Medium Bore Rifles .358cal/.375cal because I can get the performance I need and want out of fine tuning those rounds. It also saves me a ton on the Medium Bore ammo costs! I also have done a tremendous amount of reduced recoil loads for not only my kids, but also for friends with kids.

Reloading to me eliminates limits on any one particular rifle. I don't reload nearly as much standard stuff anymore. For example 180 gr 30-06 loads. We buy a lot of Blue Box factory.

Now with the way things are going we just might be doing it again.

It also helps I have a close friend that also is a serious reloader and he and I converse weekly on what we find on shelves and various online supply stores. Combined we can do anything for nearly all cartridges made today. We both try to keep what the other doesn't.

Reloading has become my 1# preferred hobby! I hate to admit it, but I like working with a rifle and getting it to shoot more than hunting anymore and I love to hunt!

It gets crazy..........its a serious addiction!!!!!!!

Last edited:
OP
coyotecreek
Just really started this year. I was interested for quite some time, just never spent the money to start. Definitely haven’t saved any money getting started. I wanted to learn a new skill and I do enjoy. I did make a load my .223 that is impressive, but I still can’t top ELD-X in my .308.
I am unhappy with my current scale so I will be upgrading that sometime soon$$$.

Off topic: @coyotecreek very nice of you to donate a bow for the Big creek banquet!
Thanks! I wish that I could have stuck around longer, but it was a long day for me and I was exhausted!

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
I've loaded for over 30 years now. Started because I bought a 7mm-08 and factory ammo shot like crap in that rifle.

Since then it's all I do, from 22-250 up to .375 H&H and everything in between. It's satisfying to develop a load and a fun journey as well. Getting a chronograph was eye opening, as factory ammo makers lie like crazy about real velocity.

Accuracy and consistency, but now I have lot of $ in it and found Seekins rifles shoot factory as good as any reload I can work up, so now I'm trying to decide if i can get out of the reloading game.

OutdoorAg

WKR
Accuracy and consistency, but now I have lot of $ in it and found Seekins rifles shoot factory as good as any reload I can work up, so now I'm trying to decide if i can get out of the reloading game.

2 rules.

1) Never shoot the donor barreled action
2) Never shoot factory ammo

Those will save you much heartache!

Rw1981

FNG
One of my biggest reasons is, it relaxes me. The repetition allows me to focus on something other than daily stress.