Windproof Softshell

edevans

FNG
Looking for recommendations on a late season softshell glassing jacket that is windproof. This would jacket would be something that I would want to layer over my puffy and have it cut wind. I know everyone says the Sitka Jetstream. But I am wondering if anyone has any other input? I am open to any company (hiking or hunting) and at any price point.

Wrench

WKR
I have two jetstreams and they are pretty awesome, but if wind protection over a puffy was my goal for specifically glassing.....I'd put on my takur and never look back.

slingerHB

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. I ended up ordering a jet stream and a stone glacier m7 jacket at the same time.
I ended up keeping the M7. It's a little noisy but I was okay with it because it was waterproof and windproof. The Jetstream is a awesome jacket as well but I just felt the M7 was a little better for my application/layering

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Reactions: ecw
The Kryptek Bora is awesome. Wore mine during an elk hunt last year. Heavy snow, high winds, single digits to low teens. Had a Ghar puffy, arma wool hoody and a midweight wool long sleeve under it. It is amazing at stopping the wind and is as good as some rain gear I've had! Worth every $.

jfs82

WKR
The Kryptek Bora is awesome. Wore mine during an elk hunt last year. Heavy snow, high winds, single digits to low teens. Had a Ghar puffy, arma wool hoody and a midweight wool long sleeve under it. It is amazing at stopping the wind and is as good as some rain gear I've had! Worth every $.
I haven't taken mine to this extreme of weather (Im in CA) but I've been perfectly comfortable with a midweight base and just the Bora in moderately windy, low 30's

rfgreenwell

Lil-Rokslider
I would have my Takur for wind or rain. Best "do it all" hardshell I have ever had. Breathes so well that I often have it on with just a base or light midlayer under it busting wet brush.

I picked up the m7. It reminds me of the old sitka cold front.

Jury is still out, but pit zips are big enough should vent well.

Although it is a hardshell, I would use my Takur, it breathes like no other rain gear/wind shell that I have used. I wish they made it in solid colors.

For a non-camo windproof softshell I have a Marmot that has a windstopper membrane and does that job well. No pit zips on it though and it is not as breathable as the Takur.

Jimss

WKR
There are so many different layering options that it's nice to have a large selection to choose from depending upon how active you are and the weather conditions. I almost always have my Sitka rain gear with me on late season hunts. Not only do they cut wind but also keep me dry when there is snow on the ground. Good ole windstopper or thinsulate are 2 great options.

OP
edevans

edevans

FNG

I may look into this. Does Kryptex every run any sales?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't taken mine to this extreme of weather (Im in CA) but I've been perfectly comfortable with a midweight base and just the Bora in moderately windy, low 30's
Kryptek Bora would be a great option if you keep checking Amazon you might grab it at a great price. I got mine for $140 Two months ago. Another option would be the Kuiu peloton 240 hoody it’s super light at only 15 oz has no pit zips though. The Bora jacket it’s around 22 oz does have pit zips. The advantage of the Bora jacket it’s that it’s basically almost waterproof the schoeller material beads water like no other even though the seams are not taped it’s basically bombproof.

USMC2378

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a reason everybody Suggest the jetstream
For lighter weight at 15 oz the Kuiu Peloton 240 hoody it blocks the wind really well and it’s water resistant. Check out the website they have lots of reviews there. The jet stream and Bora on the other hand seem very similar I don’t think you can go wrong with either it’s just personal preference.

slowelk

WKR
Anything with gore windstopper. I use a Sitka flash pullover. It’s ultralight, completely blocks wind, and sheds pretty decent amounts of water too.
It is discontinued, but you might be able to find a new one somewhere.

Nillion

Lil-Rokslider
If it's just for glassing, why not use your hardshell for wind protection? It'll save you having to pack in a separate layer that's usually fairly bulky.

OP
edevans

edevans

FNG
If it's just for glassing, why not use your hardshell for wind protection? It'll save you having to pack in a separate layer that's usually fairly bulky.

I don’t have a hard shell. Open to hard shell suggestions as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk