Woodpecker control

Mojave

WKR
Ask your game warden if he knows someone who is a falconer. Bring the guy over, give him a case of beer problem solved.

We solved a raven problem like that. The guy was an eagle falconer. Still worked.

OP
Mtnmilsurp
I would advise caution as I believe Peckers are covered under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. Could be wrong, but if I am right, probably wouldn’t blast this all over the interwebs how you plan to whack that pecker
Dang! I just read that on a somewhat authoritative looking website.

So, lets just say my friend has a Eurasian collared dove making a lot of noise outside his bedroom early in the morning...

My neighbor had a woodpecker banging holes in a corner. He hung a ball of tinfoil up there and the bird went away. It was a decent sized "ball" about like a deflated birthday balloon.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
I'd also be checking for insect infestation. The birds are usually there for a reason. Now when they are rattling away at a metal light pole or tin vent that is to tell everybody else that they are there and that is their territory.

bj00pb

FNG
My answer won't be as entertaining... but try a different color paint if that's not too much of a project. Had the same thing happen to us for years on darker brown/ natural cedar shakes. Cedar doesn't attract bugs, so they prob weren't looking for food. I learned from local biologist that pecking holes can be a territorial thing, kinda like strutting and showing off for females and other competition. Once they start, even if you whack one.... another will take its place. Changed our siding color 5 years ago to more of a light beige and haven't had issues since. Good luck🤠

GotDraw?

WKR
Maybe we need a thread on which caliber is enough to take down a pecker. How many foot pounds of energy do we need to ethically deflate the offending pecker?
Inevitably someone will refer you to the .223 thread.
.223... what is the world coming to?

C'mon man, 6.5 Creedmoor or go home

Seriously.

JL

Jbxl20

WKR
I do pest wildlife control. Legally we can’t kill them. We use a product called intimidators that work pretty well. They work best when placed somewhere that gets sun and a little breeze every now and then. Keep en eye out for squirrels or other critters that make an opportunity to enlarge the wood pecker holes and make a nest for themselves.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
My answer won't be as entertaining... but try a different color paint if that's not too much of a project. Had the same thing happen to us for years on darker brown/ natural cedar shakes. Cedar doesn't attract bugs, so they prob weren't looking for food. I learned from local biologist that pecking holes can be a territorial thing, kinda like strutting and showing off for females and other competition. Once they start, even if you whack one.... another will take its place. Changed our siding color 5 years ago to more of a light beige and haven't had issues since. Good luck🤠
Had a co-worker that had issues with Flickers on his log sided home, he did exactly that and painted it a light yellow/tan color and no more bird issues.

mt100gr.

WKR
Pecker huggers say "NO", but it's your house!! Do what makes the most sense. When they drum on my metal chimney cap, I prefer to shoo them away with cat vocalizations 🙄 (the peckers, not the huggers)

Marble

WKR
If you can get close enough, birdshit in a .22 works really well from about 10'. I used to sit in my garage, turn off the lights and wait for rats for to come out. Which was 30 seconds later. I would wait, have my wife flip on the lights and shoots one or two. It didn't even stick in the dry wall. But it killed the rats!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Backyard

WKR
1b05479d5690066f519387fcb9de7d2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mtnmilsurp
I once went through a whole magazine of .22 snake shot trying to dispatch a rooster at 3 yards when I was a kid and I don’t think it even penetrated his neck feathers

FLS

WKR
Get your kids a BB gun. You had to walk for miles to find a living bird near my house when I was a kid.

If you can get close enough, birdshit in a .22 works really well from about 10'. I used to sit in my garage, turn off the lights and wait for rats for to come out. Which was 30 seconds later. I would wait, have my wife flip on the lights and shoots one or two. It didn't even stick in the dry wall. But it killed the rats!

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I’ve never loaded .22 ammo and I’ve also never loaded birdshit. curious how you get it in the case. I’d assume you have to let it dry some as I can’t imagine trying to seat wet soft birdshit.
To stick with the original content I’ll say I’m going through woodpecker problems at my cabin on my land. I tried hanging CD’s and that wasn’t an effective approach so I’m looking forward to any and all approaches to dealing with this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro