Worst Rifles

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I would agree. But this is no ordinary rifle - I joined the army with my best friend back in 2005 - his family was like my own and treated me the same. His dad taught me how to deer and squirrel hunt as a matter of fact. Just before we joined, my buddy’s dad bought the then “new” Browning BAR and that got all of us talking about our favorite rifles and what we would buy if money were no object. My friend tragically died in a car accident at the age of 20 just before deploying to some secret hell hole in the Middle East. About a year later my friends dad gives me a gift certificate to cabelas and tells me they’re holding a browning a-bolt white gold medallion and he had bought me a leupold vx3 to go with. All stainless and matching everything. Best looking rifle I own. It’s a 6.5lb 300wsm that kicks like a mule and won’t group less than 1.5” with everything I’ve shot out of it, which is about 10 different types of ammo. So you see, it’s not something I can just send down the road. It will stay in my safe and hopefully my children’s safes and so on. It looks good in the safe though, promise you that

If the rifle has that much sentimental value, I would take it to a gunsmith to be accurized. While having the rifle as a safequeen is great, I would counter argue that having rifle along with you in the outdoors while providing many more memories of your buddy (him and his family hunting along your side) is infinity more valuable. This especially rings true if you hope to pass this rifle down to your children.

I would have the gunsmith thread the barrel and get a muzzlebreak to lessen the mulekick. Between accurizing and a muzzlebreak, the rifle should be more pleasurable to shoot and hopefully more accurate.

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
H&R, 270 win. 12" groups at 100 yards. Horrible.

I shot a 30-30 first time this year. Just never had the itch. Zeroed father in laws Marlin. Course action, hard to load, aweful trigger, minute of deer groups.
Not my cup of tea.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
My worst was a beretta a300 that was a single shot and with some slamming a two shot. I tore that thing apart so many times I finally sent it down the road for a different b shotgun

worst rifle was my buddies mini 14. Like others have stated it was more for flock shooting than precision shooting.

I am sure I have a few more in my future but hoping it is limited.

remington 7400 .243 -- not very accurate and had issues cycling.

remington in general -- worst triggers i've owned and the actions and bolts all need serious work to come close to a factory ruger american, tikka, cheap savage, etc.

worst gun i've ever owned was a stoeger m2000. laundry list of issues. good for nothing. it didn't even make a good boat paddle.
I may second the Remington 7400. I recently bought one in near perfect condition in .270 and I already don’t care for it and I haven’t even fired it yet! As far as I know, it’s a perfectly functioning and accurate rifle but one trip to the workbench for cleaning has convinced me that it’s way too complicated. There are several pins (one very small) that have to be drifted out in order to clean the gun. It’s very easy to end up marring the gun just trying to get it apart for cleaning. Ask me how I know :( Also, who thinks that a plastic dust cover is a good idea? The only positive thing I can say, thus far, is that it is a very pretty gun, which is probably the real reason I made the mistake of buying it.

Charles Daily semi-automatic shotgun.

I owned a BLR and sold it cause the trigger sucked BAD.

Remington 700 BDL in .270. I never could get that gun to shoot a 3 shot group you could cover with a baseball at 100 yards. Strange, cause it should have been a shooter.

Unckebob

WKR
The worst rifle I have had was a Bergara in 308 I bought used. I don't claim to be the worlds greatest shot but I could not get it sighted in. They have a reputation for accuracy, but I could not get it on target.

I dumped it and replaced it with a 6.5CM Savage High Country.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Weatherby MKV in 7mm WBY.
Glass smooth action, crisp trigger.
First shot dead on.
Stairsteps BAD, High Left from then on.
I've tried everything but a rebarrel.
My Rems and Rugers out - shoot it.

I may second the Remington 7400. I recently bought one in near perfect condition in .270 and I already don’t care for it and I haven’t even fired it yet! As far as I know, it’s a perfectly functioning and accurate rifle but one trip to the workbench for cleaning has convinced me that it’s way too complicated. There are several pins (one very small) that have to be drifted out in order to clean the gun. It’s very easy to end up marring the gun just trying to get it apart for cleaning. Ask me how I know :( Also, who thinks that a plastic dust cover is a good idea? The only positive thing I can say, thus far, is that it is a very pretty gun, which is probably the real reason I made the mistake of buying it.
We had 2 of these growing up in 30-06. One the stock is cut down, functions and shoots just fine. The other always worked good. Until the last deer I shot. It didn’t feed the second round. I Had to Drop the mag and chamber the round by hand (still managed to get a shot off tho). But that gun hasn’t been touched since. And that was 6 years ago

We had 2 of these growing up in 30-06. One the stock is cut down, functions and shoots just fine. The other always worked good. Until the last deer I shot. It didn’t feed the second round. I Had to Drop the mag and chamber the round by hand (still managed to get a shot off tho). But that gun hasn’t been touched since. And that was 6 years ago
Glad to hear you’ve had good results with your 7400. The one I have may grow on me after I shoot it, but I also got a great deal on a Browning BAR in 30-06 recently, so it will be hard for me not to compare the two and I always really like Brownings.

11boo

WKR
My first deer rifle...a Remington Woodsmaster 742 semi-auto. Only liked light bullets, and by like I mean put 3 rounds in a 5 inch circle at 100 yards. It typically jammed after the second round and the trigger pull was at least 8 lbs. Lot of great memories with that gun though, and a lot more deer died from it than I can remember. Couldn’t wait upgrade and get rid of it, and now there isn’t gun in my safe I wouldn’t trade to have it back.
I had one A friend loaned me for my second elk hunt. It shot Decently enough on the range. Opening morning in elk camp, I was heading out on foot. About 25 yards from camp I chambered a round and the gun slam fired and emptied the magazine into the ground. Something went fubar with the firing pin. Hunted with the 44 mag pistol the rest of the season.

Kyle Avey

WKR
Unfortunately my Kimber Adirondack 6.5. I spent a lot of time and money on that gun. It got me my first sheep, but it also misfired on a great caribou as well. I chased accuracy for a while and finally got it dialed and shooting great, only to have head space issues which would cause miss fires about 20% of the time. Eventually sold at a big loss to someone who used it as a donor rifle to build a custom gun with a new barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A Kimber Adirondack.308 was the worst rifle I’ve ever owned. Similar problems.

Not a rifle but a stoeger sxs shotgun I think it was a long Fowler or what ever had 30inch tubes loved it but after around 80 rounds of low brass it started pushing holes through the primers then shots 99 and 100 it locked the gun up had to disassemble it to get them out sent it back for warranty work got it back almost 3 months later first 2 rounds it locked again disassembled had holes in the primers again bass pro let me exchange it after for an 870 Remington 3 1/2 that I immediately had cerakoted I really hated that because a sxs swings so well for me.

jayhawk

WKR

Remington 700 BDL in .270. I never could get that gun to shoot a 3 shot group you could cover with a baseball at 100 yards. Strange, cause it should have been a shooter.
That's unfortunate about that .270. Maybe you got a lemon because I have the same gun and it shoots like a laser.

S-3 ranch

WKR

I must have bought it , better my 700 BDL was a dog
luckily I bought winChester M70 .300wn that was sub .5 with factory 180gr federal

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of people talk about the tang safety Ruger M77’s. I have one with the zytel skeleton stock in a .270 and it’ll shoot sub moa with just about everything, even core locts. Has killed a pile of animals. But I agree with whoever said it kicks like a mule. The recoil is worse than my .300wm. It’s not fun to zero off a bench, but it’ll cut holes with any 140gr and several 150’s.