Worst Rifles

What are some of the worst rifles any of you have experienced, either botched purchases or just shooting your buddies’ rigs. Even rifles where one caliber is fantastic from the company but another caliber is garbage.

Quant

FNG
My first deer rifle...a Remington Woodsmaster 742 semi-auto. Only liked light bullets, and by like I mean put 3 rounds in a 5 inch circle at 100 yards. It typically jammed after the second round and the trigger pull was at least 8 lbs. Lot of great memories with that gun though, and a lot more deer died from it than I can remember. Couldn’t wait upgrade and get rid of it, and now there isn’t gun in my safe I wouldn’t trade to have it back.

Old Weatherby Mark V in 300 Weatherby magnum. It kicked like a mule, had a terrible recoil pad(metal) and weighed a ton. Got sold very quickly.

OP
BeastOfTheTrees
Old Weatherby Mark V in 300 Weatherby magnum. It kicked like a mule, had a terrible recoil pad(metal) and weighed a ton. Got sold very quickly.

im in love with my .300 Wby, vanguard backcountry tho, can confirm still kicks like a mule but I love it

Mossburg Atr. Or just any of the mossburg rifles. Had a .243 that i could barely get to shoot MOA. Had a 6.5cm. Trigger was garbage and couldnt get to group well and now i have a hand me down .270 from my father in law. That doesnt group well either. All.of the stucks just feel like cheap flimsy plastic. They are the only sub $500 rifles i have ever owned. So maybe im being too picky for the price point.

Lowndes

FNG
My first deer rifle...a Remington Woodsmaster 742 semi-auto. Only liked light bullets, and by like I mean put 3 rounds in a 5 inch circle at 100 yards. It typically jammed after the second round and the trigger pull was at least 8 lbs. Lot of great memories with that gun though, and a lot more deer died from it than I can remember. Couldn’t wait upgrade and get rid of it, and now there isn’t gun in my safe I wouldn’t trade to have it back.

got the same gun in my safe. I think about getting rid of it at times but hold onto it for the nostalgia of it.

hodgeman

WKR
So many candidates, so little time.

Ruger MIni 14....groups looked like shotgun patterns. Went through three of them trying to find a shooter. Never did.

Armalite M15...jammamatic to the max.

Savage 7-08...despite the chatter about how awesome Savage is, picky rifle and clunky built.

Kimber 8400 30-06...2MOA rifle. Played with it for two years, never could get it to shoot better. Kimber CS was indifferent. Sold it at a loss.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Got invited to hunt in Texas once, I hadn’t planned on it so I didn’t bring any gear, ended up getting loaned a Remington 770 243 with whatever crappy factory generic scope it came with.

I ended up shooting a small buck but man that rifle was rickety.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Savage 24F 223/20ga - Thought it would be more handy that what it was. Weighed a ton & the hammer select wasn't designed well, caused light strikes when firing on rifle barrel.

Remington 799 7.62x39 - Fell in love with it due to the nicer stock that came with it compared to the Zastava models. But found out it had issues with ejector problems if shooting steel cased ammo. Since replacement parts are almost impossible to get.

robtattoo

WKR
Ruger 77, top tang safety in .243
It was an ok-ish shooter, 2" at 100yds with factory ammo, but it had a recoil impulse like nothing I've ever felt. It was literally like being hit in the shoulder with a sharp axe blade!

Now knowing your opinion on marlin levers, what do you think of Wild West Guns Marlin conversions.

I'm not sure if they still do but WWCG and a few other (maybe Grizzly, Big Horn Armory) high end lever manufacturers and refurbishers had disclaimers at one point that they wouldn't work on remlins...... That may have changed since word on the street is remington did straighten the marlin stuff out some.

rayporter

WKR
mini 14
henry 22 mag

i once bought a custom 25-06 off a bud for 700$ that was beautiful but could not hit squat and re barreled it into a great rifle

there are a couple mentioned above that i have had GREAT luck with, but that is their story and i believe them.

Wapiti1

WKR
Interesting all the praise for JM marked Marlins. They made some turds as well. Gotta remember that they were a budget gun made by a company that occasionally struggled financially. Just because it's stamped JM doesn't mean it wasn't made on Friday by a nearly bankrupt company.

The latest Remington made Marlins I have seen are pretty good. Moving the factory gave them some much needed tooling upgrades.

Worst that I have seen were the last couple years of New Haven Winchesters made on worn out equipment.

Jeremy