Wyo Special Apps are down in #’s

Jethro

WKR
Skimmed through 2 pages. Article is worthless without sharing the magnitude of how many less special applicants there were. Is that info out there?
Not completely worthless. Its kept us occupied for the last 5 days discussing the ruin of hunting as we know it.

I have not seen any numbers associated with the announced decline.

Skimmed through 2 pages. Article is worthless without sharing the magnitude of how many less special applicants there were. Is that info out there?

I read the article and got frustrated enough that I was going to email the author and tell him how it could have been much better. But then I got distracted.

Archer86

WKR
It was for Wyoming.
Why?

Resident prices across the country don't track inflation so why does only wyoming matter. Wyoming residents didn't ask for the prices increase to nr. I would argue that nr pushed for this increase to help there odds if they can afford if they would have pushed back in the same way they pushed back on the outfitter draw maybe the price increase wouldn't have happened But alot of people didn't care as much because they though it would help then draw and now some want to try and pin it on the residents of wyoming

Laramie

WKR
It was intentional clickbait. Worthless from an informational standpoint, absolutely. However it is accomplishing exactly what the author, and the Wyoming Game and Fish intended it to. The author is getting a ton of clicks and the WG&F is getting increased interest in the special for deer and antelope. For every guy on here complaining, there are 10 keeping their mouth shut and planning their $1200 antelope hunt. It seems like a crazy amount to spend until you consider guided hunts in easier to draw areas are twice that (or more).

It was intentional clickbait. Worthless from an informational standpoint, absolutely. However it is accomplishing exactly what the author, and the Wyoming Game and Fish intended it to. The author is getting a ton of clicks and the WG&F is getting increased interest in the special for deer and antelope. For every guy on here complaining, there are 10 keeping their mouth shut and planning their $1200 antelope hunt. It seems like a crazy amount to spend until you consider guided hunts in easier to draw areas are twice that (or more).

I have 9 Antelope points i've been itching to burn and that thought absolutely crossed my mind.

Archer86

WKR
Why am I asking about Wyoming resident tag prices in a thread about Wyoming tags?
You are arguing have resident tag prices increased with Inflation. Does inflation only effect wyoming tag prices or should it effect every state? your are missing the point. wyoming is not the only state that resident prices don't track with inflation . Which is what you are trying to imply

wyogoat

WKR
@Dos Perros I tried to Google it and can’t find what tags cost in 2003 for example. I’ll try to find an old one if I didn’t throw them away.
I know they’ve gone up but not sure at what percent related to NR.

You are arguing have resident tag prices increased with Inflation. Does inflation only effect wyoming tag prices or should it effect every state? your are missing the point. wyoming is not the only state that resident prices don't track with inflation . Which is what you are trying to imply

All I'm arguing is that to use inflation as justification for increase of non-resident tag prices that it should also apply to residents tags. If it doesn't it's a rather flaccid argument.

It is my experience that states keep their resident tag prices stagnant for a while, many years, and then ask the residents for a relatively substantial bump, like 25%, which sounds like a lot, but not considering that prices haven't been raised since Reagan it shouldn't be a big deal. But people throw a fit anyway. Just like some in this thread are saying non-residents are doing.

wyogoat

WKR
Outside of politicians I can’t think of a single resident I know that feels the NR prices should keep going up. It affects us to in that we have family and friends who don’t reside here that won’t come hunt anymore.
It’s been said but the residents didn’t ask for these price increases for points or for tags to NR. These weren’t items put to ballot.

Laramie

WKR
@Dos Perros I tried to Google it and can’t find what tags cost in 2003 for example. I’ll try to find an old one if I didn’t throw them away.
I know they’ve gone up but not sure at what percent related to NR.
I paid $35 I believe as a resident in 2000. It is $57 now so not quite double but they have increased significantly from a percentage standpoint.

Laramie

WKR
$125 in 1966 was the cost for a regular non resident elk license. That is equivalent to about $1200 today. If anything, the regular elk license increases have been well below inflation rates. Picture found online.
1708033032074.png

Fitzwho

WKR
I'll wait and see what the Special draw does on Antelope. I have 7-8 deer and 4 elk points that I will probably burn in the next couple years and likely be done with Wyoming for elk at least. I'll probably always build points for antelope. After a few more years to get populations back and see what the application levels look like, there's a few places I might pay $1200 to draw an antelope tag if I could get a tag every couple years.

Definitely not buying in on a special elk tag at $2000 if I'm applying for General Seasons that residents pay $50 for at Walmart OTC. Maybe... just maybe for some of the limited entry hunts depending on what the change does to the points required.

Laramie

WKR
Outside of politicians I can’t think of a single resident I know that feels the NR prices should keep going up. It affects us to in that we have family and friends who don’t reside here that won’t come hunt anymore.
It’s been said but the residents didn’t ask for these price increases for points or for tags to NR. These weren’t items put to ballot.
Agree- to add I know several residents who were 100% against this. The average resident hunter knows this is just another form of outfitter welfare. The last thing the resident hunters want is more outfitters leasing up more ground.