Wyo Special Apps are down in #’s

wyogoat

WKR
Definitely not buying in on a special elk tag at $2000 if I'm applying for General Seasons that residents pay $50 for at Walmart OTC. Maybe... just maybe for some of the limited entry hunts depending on what the change does to the points required.
And this is the number one best thing about being a resident. There is a solution to your problem…

Jaquomo

WKR
I paid $35 I believe as a resident in 2000. It is $57 now so not quite double but they have increased significantly from a percentage standpoint.
$35 in 2000 is worth $63.79 in 2024. So one could make the point that resident tags are cheaper. I did a graph for Colorado once for an article, and found that big game tags were roughly the same now, inflation adjusted, as in 1970. But the opportunity and quality has really diminished.

wapitibob

WKR

Fitzwho

WKR
And this is the number one best thing about being a resident. There is a solution to your problem…
Wyogoat - It's not actually a problem to me. I've had 1 Wyoming elk tag and 2 antelope tags in the 7 years I have been hunting out west. I could easily get a job in the oil and gas industry in Wyoming, but much like (I imagine) you wouldn't leave Wyoming, I hesitate to leave Texas.

It doesn't hurt my feelings to be a nonresident. It's all still cheaper than leasing land for hunting in Texas. The most likely scenario is that I will continue to buy points in Wyoming for deer, elk, and antelope and apply in the regular draw, unless the special draw odds with whatever random point totals I have open up some far better opportunities in limited draw units.

Laramie

WKR
$35 in 2000 is worth $63.79 in 2024. So one could make the point that resident tags are cheaper. I did a graph for Colorado once for an article, and found that big game tags were roughly the same now, inflation adjusted, as in 1970. But the opportunity and quality has really diminished.
But so are non resident tags. Neither have increased at the same pace that inflation has.

Non residents have been screaming about price increases forever. Here is a thread from 2003 discussing the huge increases that went in place for 2004.
https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/wyoming-non-res-license-fees-on-the-rise.207995/

The tags have remained pretty affordable imo.

Jethro

WKR
I’m in the east, so this doesn’t really count. But it did make me lol. Last night I’m reading the 2023 PGC revenue report. PA brought in $2400 from the sale of resident elk tags. Just slightly more than I laid out for my WY tag.

I think our hunting license cost has gone up about 25 cents in the last 25 years. $21. Our elk license is $25.

Laramie

WKR
I’m in the east, so this doesn’t really count. But it did make me lol. Last night I’m reading the 2023 PGC revenue report. PA brought in $2400 from the sale of resident elk tags. Just slightly more than I laid out for my WY tag.

I think our hunting license cost has gone up about 25 cents in the last 25 years. $21. Our elk license is $25.
How do your state taxes look... lol

I always come to the same conclusion when reading through all this stuff. “Why in the hell have I not moved out there yet?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Because most will starve and freeze to death before they find a job comparable to where they live. Not all but most. Don’t underestimate the sacrifices you’ll make if hunting Wyoming is a priority. I know guys who moved there and ran back home in a year. You won’t see them on here complaining about license costs or about how Wyoming residents have a dream life.

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of silly replies here. Guys saying a $1200 Antelope tag is outrageous and there's too many other options. Where? Vouchers are $2k-$6k or you build points for years...

That said now that this news is in every forum, I expect we all will pile into the Special Deer and Antelope.

Archer86

WKR
Because most will starve and freeze to death before they find a job comparable to where they live. Not all but most. Don’t underestimate the sacrifices you’ll make if hunting Wyoming is a priority. I know guys who moved there and ran back home in a year. You won’t see them on here complaining about license costs or about how Wyoming residents have a dream life.
Lot cheaper to pay for a 2000 dollar elk tag then to take a 20k pay cut. Especially if the special makes it where you can get a west elk tag with very little points

This winter has been mild but it is amazing how many people move in then leave the next year I dont think it's the winter always but the lack of things to do in the winter gets people that have been used to all the comforts of a big town. Alot think they will like it but that quickly changes.

fatlander

WKR
Lot cheaper to pay for a 2000 dollar elk tag then to take a 20k pay cut. Especially if the special makes it where you can get a west elk tag with very little points

This winter has been mild but it is amazing how many people move in then leave the next year I dont think it's the winter always but the lack of things to do in the winter gets people that have been used to all the comforts of a big town. Alot think they will like it but that quickly changes.

If guys can now get a special in the west with “very little points”, I’ll be the first one to apologize to you for what I’m about to say.

If you think in your wildest dreams an additional 700 more dollars in the special is going to reverse point creep on that tag, I’ll sell you some ocean front property.

Archer86

WKR
If guys can now get a special in the west with “very little points”, I’ll be the first one to apologize to you for what I’m about to say.

If you think in your wildest dreams an additional 700 more dollars in the special is going to reverse point creep on that tag, I’ll sell you some ocean front property.

Oh I am not sold that it will thats why I said IF. But if it does I know it won't last long it will be a short lived effect.

Lots of silly replies here. Guys saying a $1200 Antelope tag is outrageous and there's too many other options. Where? Vouchers are $2k-$6k or you build points for years...

That said now that this news is in every forum, I expect we all will pile into the Special Deer and Antelope.

Montana is quite a bit less and some good numbers and size. Can get a tag every few years.

ttjjpp

FNG
I don't mind Wyoming's point system - esp with a group = divide points and have a good time -

Mcribs

FNG
I read through the thread and figured out that either:

I need to move West if I want cheap tags, but expect to take pay cuts and brutal winters. Except in CO where residents get screwed anyway but there’s decent jobs on the front range.

Or complain that I need to pay 60% more for a better chance at a tag that costs a fraction of what I spend on a truck, camper, food, clothes I don’t really need, $70/box ammo, and some fancy glass (10k/yr). But complain that tags are making it rich man’s game while ignoring that I take a week off to blow that money on a 5% chance to get 200 # of meat.

My expected cost of meat for regular draw is $10,000/(200x.05) = $1000/pound

Special draw is $11,200/(200*.05)=$1120/pound

I don’t know any poor man that spends $1k/pound of meat and a set of antlers that my wife don’t want in the house but maybe I’m missing something.

#hunt local

Archer86

WKR
Eh with bonus points you always have a chance. At least there is an escalation factor to it. Better than WY in that regard. The time wait for the quality is better in MT than in WY (IMO, of course).
Bonus point systems suck. You chance are just as bad and after putting in for 20 years you still are not guaranteed a tag if you are the highest point holder to apply. It's just another pyramid scheme

wyoming prefernace with 25 percent random is way better then any bonus point scheme what's even better is pure random draw

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Bonus point systems suck. You chance are just as bad and after putting in for 20 years you still are not guaranteed a tag if you are the highest point holder to apply. It's just another pyramid scheme

wyoming prefernace with 25 percent random is way better then any bonus point scheme what's even better is pure random draw
Bonus points are much better than preference points. Preference points are a ponzi scheme.

With Bonus points, everyone has a chance, some better than others, but it's the only way out from under the bs preference point system. I prefer a random draw no point system, but without leaving people high and dry with $$ tied up in points, Bonus points are the best way forward.

Archer86

WKR
Bonus points are much better than preference points. Preference points are a ponzi scheme.

With Bonus points, everyone has a chance, some better than others, but it's the only way out from under the bs preference point system. I prefer a random draw no point system, but without leaving people high and dry with $$ tied up in points, Bonus points are the best way forward.
Any points are a ponzi scheme but bonus points are worse.
Bonus point system are a fix for the guys just getting in complaining they will never draw a tag.

preference point with random component will ALWAYS be better then a bonus point system. you get the random chance to draw a tag likely similiar to chances in a bonus point draw and the guys that have invested longer get better odds through a prefernace point system. What needs to happen any tag burns points for that species.