Wyoming general tag, How many hunters?

J78

FNG
So myself and 3 hunting buddies should be drawing general elk tags in Wyoming with 3.25 points. However we are having difficulty deciding on season and hunting location. This will only be our 2nd elk hunt that has not been OTC Colorado. We having been doing OTC rifle hunts for past 10 years with about 50% success. So we are open to September archery hunt for October rifle hunt. We have narrowed it down to either south central units 13, 15 and 21 or out west in maybe 94 or 90 area. What are crowds like in these areas during those season in comparison to a Colorado OTC and also what area and season would provide best opportunities for harvest of 280+ bulls. Final question is how many Grizzles might be in 94 or 90 if any. Thanks for any help or advice and if there are some better units anyone thinks we should look into I’m all ears.

WYCFM1

WKR
I’d definitely look into Colorado also. So much more opportunities there so each of you guys can get At Bats on elk. Less grizzlys in Colorado also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sneaky

"DADDY"
Early rifle season units in western WY get hammered with pressure just like CO otc units do. Archery, not so much. Rifle seasons in general, no matter where you go, are always nuts.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NUGGET

WKR
94 isn’t bad. I’ve killed some bulls there. Same with 90. You’re on the right track with those units.

OP
J78

J78

FNG
Thanks sneaky and nugget for the help. As far as what to ask and not as ask this is first forum or internet site type thing I have ever been on. Me just figuring out how to type something and send it was quite the feat for this guy. Not really sure what to ask or how to not piss people off, all advice on that front is also welcome. I know that guys PM each other, which I believe means private message. Not sure how to even do that, but it seems if you don’t all ready have contacts or friends through this site already you have to be invited to PM someone? What would be better first post to have people being more receptive to offering help or opinions?

bsnedeker

WKR
Thanks sneaky and nugget for the help. As far as what to ask and not as ask this is first forum or internet site type thing I have ever been on. Me just figuring out how to type something and send it was quite the feat for this guy. Not really sure what to ask or how to not piss people off, all advice on that front is also welcome. I know that guys PM each other, which I believe means private message. Not sure how to even do that, but it seems if you don’t all ready have contacts or friends through this site already you have to be invited to PM someone? What would be better first post to have people being more receptive to offering help or opinions?
For the most part there is nothing wrong with what you asked or how you asked it. You have clearly done some research and are asking general questions on hunting pressure.

Asking specifics about what units you can get into x-class bulls and have a good chance is a bit of a new-guy cliche around here though. Those are not things that should be discussed on a public forum like this.

Since you're new you should understand that some guys get really grumpy this time of year because they haven't been out of the house chasing critters for too long. Don't take it personally!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR

"I should have the points to draw a gen license in WY, this will be my 2nd Elk hunt, and am looking at some south central units. I have places I intend to hunt based on my research but would like to bounce some general questions off someone that has experience down there."

This thread has 293 views as I type this, if 50 of them have gen tags and nowhere to go, they'll now be looking at 90 and 94. That's why posting hunt areas on the 'net gets people worked up.

Last edited:
OP
J78

J78

FNG
Thanks, for the info wapitibob and bsnedecker will do it a little better next time.

If I am interested in a unit I PM hunters that have hunted it before. Sometimes you get a good response sometimes you don't. But at the minimum you didn't turn other hunters onto the unit you are interested in and create more competition. Search the site with area/unit numbers.

I know there are rules in place that won't allow you to send a PM until a certain amount of posts. So you can get your post count up by talking gear, congratulating other hunters, etc.

Reactions: J78

sneaky

"DADDY"
Ive hunted some of those GEN units in Wyo.

You're gonna think you went to heaven after hunting OTC in Colorado
If you hunt the units in Wyoming that open in late Sep for rifle elk you'll think you're in CO. Once they all open in Oct it really spreads the pressure out. Archery you feel like you got the place to yourself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk