Wyoming nonresident elk draw thread!

cfdjay

WKR
The split doesn’t affect general elk licenses. Yes it affects LQ elk tags but point holders have no need to jump on a general license this year.

I'm not sure how you guys think it doesn't affect the general tags. Total tag numbers? Maybe not but if a ton of applicants say have 10 points for example, saving for a LQ unit, all decide to go in for general tags because of the unlikelihood of ever drawing a LQ tag with looming 90/10, then the average points taken to draw a general tag will sky rocket. That absolutely affects General tags.

There's a WGFD commission regulation that sets the non-resident elk quota of 7,250 tags. So essentially they do the limited entry draw for elk with whatever the % cap is, then after the limited entry tags are allocated, they subtract that tag number from the 7,250 total non-resident elk licenses and that's how many tags end up going into the general pool. So for 2021 there were 3,676 limited tags drawn, which then left 3,574 for general (all that is based on the draw odds reports from WGFD's website).

The 90/10 split, if they went to it for elk, would decrease the number of limited entry nonresident tags, but the total number of non-resident tags would stay at 7,250, thus increasing the general tags available. As @cfdjay says it's possible everyone jumps off the limited entry tags and goes general which may increase point creep. Hard to say what will happen; I wouldn't personally bet money either way. But at least they're not talking about decreasing the total number of tags available for non-residents. Maybe they'll lower the 7,250 some day but fingers crossed they don't.

There's a WGFD commission regulation that sets the non-resident elk quota of 7,250 tags. So essentially they do the limited entry draw for elk with whatever the % cap is, then after the limited entry tags are allocated, they subtract that tag number from the 7,250 total non-resident elk licenses and that's how many tags end up going into the general pool. So for 2021 there were 3,676 limited tags drawn, which then left 3,574 for general (all that is based on the draw odds reports from WGFD's website).

The 90/10 split, if they went to it for elk, would decrease the number of limited entry nonresident tags, but the total number of non-resident tags would stay at 7,250, thus increasing the general tags available. As @cfdjay says it's possible everyone jumps off the limited entry tags and goes general which may increase point creep. Hard to say what will happen; I wouldn't personally bet money either way. But at least they're not talking about decreasing the total number of tags available for non-residents. Maybe they'll lower the 7,250 some day but fingers crossed they don't.
General units are gonna be a NR circus. :LOL:

cgasner1

WKR
Personally I’ll go back to buying points instead off applying when I have the points for what I want I’ll apply then be done with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A circus wouldn’t bother me. The 90/10 split that’s been around since the beginning of time is the 90% that either road hunt or don’t get far from camp. The late starters, the “might as well start getting out of here while there’s a little light left” crowd. You know… the hunters who for the most part make success rates what they are. And think about this…. How much competition is there from a guy who has 10 points? A hunter who hasn’t seen Wyoming in a decade while some of us have been out learning every nook and cranny? My guess is that as a result of an increase in numbers of hunters who are dumping points the success rates are going to go down. Lots of those guys are the type to book outfitted hunts. There are only so many guided hunts available. Are they going to go diy? Yep… success rates will drop. Search and rescue efforts might increase! Lmao!!!!

cfdjay

WKR
A circus wouldn’t bother me. The 90/10 split that’s been around since the beginning of time is the 90% that either road hunt or don’t get far from camp. The late starters, the “might as well start getting out of here while there’s a little light left” crowd. You know… the hunters who for the most part make success rates what they are. And think about this…. How much competition is there from a guy who has 10 points? A hunter who hasn’t seen Wyoming in a decade while some of us have been out learning every nook and cranny? My guess is that as a result of an increase in numbers of hunters who are dumping points the success rates are going to go down. Lots of those guys are the type to book outfitted hunts. There are only so many guided hunts available. Are they going to go diy? Yep… success rates will drop. Search and rescue efforts might increase! Lmao!!!!

You have an interesting take my friend. Not sure if you're a resident or not but if you're not... You can't kill what you can't draw.

And that was before the 90/10 possibility
Guys with 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 points burned them on general tags last yrar.
Nothing new. Go back and look. There have been guys doing that for years. Lots of hunters keep buying points because if they don’t they’ll lose the ones they have. But they don’t hunt elk as soon as they have enough. This thread is kinda making me laugh. Calm down! Lol

I'm more worried about finding a spot to setup a wall tent and not getting run over by some yahoo in the middle of the night. I've hunted Colorado, not interested in replicating that. LOL

You have an interesting take my friend. Not sure if you're a resident or not but if you're not... You can't kill what you can't draw.
Non resident. I have friends who want to hunt so they buy points but aren’t in a hurry. I line them up. I’ve drawn a general license 10 years straight. This year will make 11. You can accomplish whatever you set your mind to do. I’m a long term thinker/planner. I’m also an elkaholic so one way or another I’m hunting. I guess this post might change the subject huh! That guy you see who applied with 10 points might be on the same application with me and my zero points. 😀

Last edited:

cgasner1

WKR
Got 10 I’ve waited way to long for a general tag I’ll keep grinding out my home state and killing bulls here while I wait to strike

Just doing the math real quick, based on last year's stats, if WY went to a 90/10 for elk and didn't change the total tag regulation there'd be an extra roughly 1,378 general tags for non-residents (827 regular, 551 special). For reference there were a total of 93 applicants last year that applied for general tags with 6+ points (91 regular, 2 special). On the flip side going into the 2022 draw there's 32,501 people with 6+ points. Translation: it'd take a lot of applicants to point dump on general for it to creep more than usual, but there's a lot of guys/gals out there. It'll definitely be interesting to watch. I doubt it'll look great for regular applicants in the general draw on the year that it happens, special applicants in the general might be in good shape, though.

Just doing the math real quick, based on last year's stats, if WY went to a 90/10 for elk and didn't change the total tag regulation there'd be an extra roughly 1,378 general tags for non-residents (827 regular, 551 special). For reference there were a total of 93 applicants last year that applied for general tags with 6+ points (91 regular, 2 special). On the flip side going into the 2022 draw there's 32,501 people with 6+ points. Translation: it'd take a lot of applicants to point dump on general for it to creep more than usual, but there's a lot of guys/gals out there. It'll definitely be interesting to watch. I doubt it'll look great for regular applicants in the general draw on the year that it happens, special applicants in the general might be in good shape, though.

You forgot about the outfitter set aside they are discussing. Sounded very NM like to me.