Xterra, Grand Cherokee, Other?

prm

WKR
I had a Grand Cherokee, I’d go with the Nissan. The GC is a very nice vehicle but it is cheaply made. Interior components, clips that hold trim pieces, etc. all are not very durable. At a very low mileage it just looked more worn than other vehicle and keep my vehicles very clean and always garaged. I didn’t keep it long enough to speak to the mechanicals.

Last edited:

MNElk33

FNG
Unless you’re set on an SUV I’d look at a mid to full size truck with the crew cab. Gas mileage will be similar, you have the cab room of a lot of SUVs, and the benefits of a bed for hauling coolers, gear, animals, dog crates etc. I have a big family with kids and we have a bigger SUV and the truck. We always take the truck.

Unless you’re set on an SUV I’d look at a mid to full size truck with the crew cab. Gas mileage will be similar, you have the cab room of a lot of SUVs, and the benefits of a bed for hauling coolers, gear, animals, dog crates etc. I have a big family with kids and we have a bigger SUV and the truck. We always take the truck.
Shows how different people’s lifestyles are. I have four kids and have never owned a truck and never will. I have a Tahoe and we take it everywhere. If I have a need to haul something big, I have a trailer.

Two years ago in Colorado one of our group had trouble with their Ram on the way there. Dropped it off at the dealer and rode into camp with another buddy. When it was time for them to leave, we loaded their trailer,ATVs and 6 large men into the Tahoe we I took everyone to town to get their truck and make a trip to Golden Corral lol

MNElk33

FNG
Shows how different people’s lifestyles are. I have four kids and have never owned a truck and never will. I have a Tahoe and we take it everywhere. If I have a need to haul something big, I have a trailer.

Two years ago in Colorado one of our group had trouble with their Ram on the way there. Dropped it off at the dealer and rode into camp with another buddy. When it was time for them to leave, we loaded their trailer,ATVs and 6 large men into the Tahoe we I took everyone to town to get their truck and make a trip to Golden Corral
Chevy>Ram 😂👍🏻

OP
B

bdg848

WKR
I wouldn’t write off a Subaru Forester for the wildly improved MPG over what you’re looking at.

Gas probably won’t be cheap for the next 4 years.
Hahaha unfortunately, I think you are right about gas prices. I actually was thinking about a subaru due to mostly hard surface driving but I'm just having difficulty choosing an AWD over 4wd option for when I am busting through snowy country roads here or unmaintained mountain roads out west.

OP
B

bdg848

WKR
I have a pickup with a topper now with 278,000 miles on it and it's been super reliable. I bought it from my uncle who was the original owner. I was originally planning on buying another truck and topper for camping in but when I looked back at how I have actually used my truck for the last few years I realized I almost never used the bed for anything that wouldn't fit in an suv with the seats down. The only thing I put in the bed that I wouldn't put inside an suv is a dead deer and I plan on buying a hitch cargo platform for that on the suv. I actually have slept in the bed with topper more than I use it for things that wouldn't fit in an suv and I think sleeping in an suv will be more convenient than a truck bed since you would still have access to the "cab". My beat up truck is only worth $1500 now anyways so I plan on keeping it for if I really need a truck to move something.

2WD vs AWD vs 4WD makes very little difference when it comes to snow, you either need snow tires / studs / chains or you don’t.

4WD shines in mud and steep/loose. AWD does nearly as well, particularly Subaru’s AWD. There is a reason so many folks in CO drive them, and it’s not just to conform.

A 2003 Z71 Tahoe owner here.
210,000 miles on the 5.3.
Paid $3k.
I haven't added it up recently, but I think I spent between 2-3 k in upgrades, but $1200 was just in the front bumper and Apex winch. Got a good set of used 305/70R16 (33x12) K02's on Method wheels and put on lots of lights. Indexed torsion keys for 2 or 3 inches on the front and 1.5 inch pucks on the rear coils. Also upgraded tie rods, air intake, new plugs and wires and a few other random parts.
Does decent on mild rock crawling, excellent on gravel and trails, especially with tire pressure in the teens and my front sway bar removed. Gets through snow as long as you aren't sinking in more than the clearance (~12"). Flotation is pretty good for not having extreme tire size, partly because of front/rear weight balance.
It gets 13 ish driving around and that includes a lot of idling time because it's winter and I never put my tires above 30 psi and I sometimes drive it with tires aired down. All driving is at 4,500+ ft here.

Things I would have a hard time giving up:
4 auto- still handles fine on dry roads but kicks in as soon as the rear wheels slip. Its really nice for snow roads, especially driving in town where you might have a long stretch of good traction but you need 4x4 pulling out of unplowed parking lots.
Limited slip rear dif- a locker would be the ultimate, but the limited slip sure is helpful sometimes.
I can haul 7 people if I need to, but I can pull the rear seats in <2 min
Sunroof- Sunroofs are UNDERRATED imo!

Sorry for the ramble.

18446b8f6b09f5cee4414927007c00ea.jpg
b92f0efa5e1319aebeefccc261e0e39e.jpg
d5f7594a8a2683e9f89f6378f26af000.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
2WD vs AWD vs 4WD makes very little difference when it comes to snow, you either need snow tires / studs / chains or you don’t.

4WD shines in mud and steep/loose. AWD does nearly as well, particularly Subaru’s AWD. There is a reason so many folks in CO drive them, and it’s not just to conform.
4wd vs 2wd drive makes a HUGE difference in snow. Maybe not on plowed and salted roads, but 4wd is far more stable on a slippery road. And it allows you to dig through snow in situations where nobody has driven on the snow. I can easily get to a lot of places with 4wd that would be impossible in 2wd.
AWD and 4WD might be comparable.

Brendan

WKR
The early second gens I think you could get with a 6 speed manual in the off road model with a locker but it's been awhile since I had a big nerd boner for xterras haha.

Japanese reliability without the Toyota tax.
This is correct. Had that exact setup in my 2005. Loved it. Wasn't great on gas mileage though, both my F150 and my Grand Cherokee I've had since have been better.

I do miss that X though....

A 2003 Z71 Tahoe owner here.
210,000 miles on the 5.3.
Paid $3k.
I haven't added it up recently, but I think I spent between 2-3 k in upgrades, but $1200 was just in the front bumper and Apex winch. Got a good set of used 305/70R16 (33x12) K02's on Method wheels and put on lots of lights. Indexed torsion keys for 2 or 3 inches on the front and 1.5 inch pucks on the rear coils. Also upgraded tie rods, air intake, new plugs and wires and a few other random parts.
Does decent on mild rock crawling, excellent on gravel and trails, especially with tire pressure in the teens and my front sway bar removed. Gets through snow as long as you aren't sinking in more than the clearance (~12"). Flotation is pretty good for not having extreme tire size, partly because of front/rear weight balance.
It gets 13 ish driving around and that includes a lot of idling time because it's winter and I never put my tires above 30 psi and I sometimes drive it with tires aired down. All driving is at 4,500+ ft here.

Things I would have a hard time giving up:
4 auto- still handles fine on dry roads but kicks in as soon as the rear wheels slip.
Limited slip rear dif- a locker would be the ultimate, but the limited slip sure is helpful sometimes.
I can haul 7 people if I need to, but I can pull the rear seats in <2 min
Sunroof- Sunroofs are UNDERRATED imo!

Sorry for the ramble.

18446b8f6b09f5cee4414927007c00ea.jpg
b92f0efa5e1319aebeefccc261e0e39e.jpg
d5f7594a8a2683e9f89f6378f26af000.jpg

What bumper do you have? I have an 03 also with 285,000 miles.

What bumper do you have? I have an 03 also with 285,000 miles.
"MOVE Bumpers"

They make kits from raw steel and then you weld it together yourself. Starting price is 500 ish and goes up from there. I got the "offroad upgrade" because I'm using a winch. I could have ordered it with a hoop and the pod cut outs but I opted to save a few bucks and do it myself. The bumper shipped as 5 main pieces, 4 brackets, and 2 recovery points and a winch plate. Covered it with Raptor liner when I was done.

PM me if you have any questions or want pictures or tips.

We have a 2008 Nissan Xterra Off-Road we bought new. Been a great rig that my wife drives 98% of the time, and she loves it. When we had a place near Leadville, CO it got a lot of use running around the high country jeep trails there and did very well off-road, all with stock suspension and M&S tires in factory size. Power is excellent.

We pro-actively changed out the tranny/engine combo radiator/cooler that is known to fail (pink milkshake) with the upgraded one from Nissan. I think the cost was around $900 US ($1200 C) a few years ago. Well worth the piece of mind and high cost avoidance. Other than one rigid plastic mudflap that is failing and a couple of broken fog light lens in front we haven't had any issues at all with it, just routine maintenance.

We've had the back seat bottoms out of the Xterra since new except on rare occasions. Makes a good hauler that is easy to access the flat storage without lifting over the tailgate like a pickup. It is also easy to see out of for parking, and tuns on a dime vs a pickup.

My two minor complaints with it are that it is a bit short coupled for highway driving and looking around. The steering is quick and you have to pay attention driving it vs a pickup. My wife gets along good, with it but I like to look for sheep, bears, deer and moose while driving.

Also, our '15 F150 V8 and '15 F350 diesel both get about 15% better fuel/gas mileage than the Xterra which all have identical tires on them, all in OEM sizes (Michelin LTX M&S, now called Defenders).

Good luck with your decision.

Opah

WKR
GMC Yukon 3/4 ton 4X4 Vortec 8.1 litter, has a duel transmission Straight cut for towing and tough terrain and diagonal cut for the city stuff. Tons of room, will tow almost anything on earth. Super comfortable, heated seats adjusting pedals set for two drivers, outstanding 4X4 capabilities for its size.
My wife loves it, with the video center in the Back seats its great to be a passenger.