You have 5 WY preference points. Where are you applying?

Archer86

WKR
General tag.
General tag is no more 3 regions for elk starts next year western region,southern region, and east region. They also removed the number that required wyoming to issue at least 7200 full price tags. So it will be treated more like mule deer. So if elk numbers drop they can easily reduce tags if needed.

Laramie

WKR
General tag is no more 3 regions for elk starts next year western region,southern region, and east region. They also removed the number that required wyoming to issue at least 7200 full price tags. So it will be treated more like mule deer. So if elk numbers drop they can easily reduce tags if needed.
They didn't remove the cap to reduce numbers... I am guessing you will see more elk tags offered to offset some of the lowered tag numbers by going 90/10 on the big 5 and the 10,000 lost antelope tags. Hunting pressure in general areas is about to get stupid imo.

Archer86

WKR
They didn't remove the cap to reduce numbers... I am guessing you will see more elk tags offered to offset some of the lowered tag numbers by going 90/10 on the big 5 and the 10,000 lost antelope tags. Hunting pressure in general areas is about to get stupid imo.
I didnt say they did it to reduce numbers. I said if the elk numbers drop they can easily reduce tags if needed.

Archer86

WKR
I think the opposite will happen we used to get 4000 general tags and they could all go to the west side of the state if they wanted. Now they will be split up into 3 regions. Should help spread pressure some

I am more concerned about point creep on the western region then anything have family that had the points this year but decided to wait might have been a mistake for them time will tell.

I'll have 5 going into next year and was planning to just do the General, guess I'll have to revisit that with the regions. SW areas probably gonna be 10 points. LOL

Laramie

WKR
I think the opposite will happen we used to get 4000 general tags and they could all go to the west side of the state if they wanted. Now they will be split up into 3 regions. Should help spread pressure some

I am more concerned about point creep on the western region then anything have family that had the points this year but decided to wait might have been a mistake for them time will tell.
I personally think they will be just fine for 2024. If what I am hearing is true, they are looking at 8000+ non-resident elk tags next year. I do see some correction happening in 2025 after all the resident general tag elk hunters complain about the higher pressure. Time will tell.

I've hunted the Thorofare 3 times, once for sheep and twice for elk. Nineteen miles back in on the back of a horse. Tent camp with wood burning stoves for heat. The scenery was spectacular and we killed elk. Some of the best hunts I've taken. Go and enjoy the adventure.

I’ll be there in a little over a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

WKR
In my opinion there is zero chance they reduce Outfitter Tags region tags, they'll cut the LQ side. Under the current proposals they will issue roughly 4,000 full price lq tags, which is normal, and increase the Gen tags by about 900 to 4300. Nobody but guided hunters are going to the East region, West and South are going to be a zoo.

Archer86

WKR
In my opinion there is zero chance they reduce Outfitter Tags region tags, they'll cut the LQ side. Under the current proposals they will issue roughly 4,000 full price lq tags, which is normal, and increase the Gen tags by about 900 to 4300. Nobody but guided hunters are going to the East region, West and South are going to be a zoo.
They can't just cut the lq side with out effecting resident. There is a 100 percent chance they will reduce region quota if there is a need for it. Have you not paid any attention to nr deer regions over the last 2 bad winters? Who gets cut? nr tags have been cut not residents and how many times since those cuts have you seen nr tags increased back when the deer numbers increased.....zero...they will cut if needed.

i

Laramie

WKR
They can't just cut the lq side with out effecting resident. There is a 100 percent chance they will reduce region quota if there is a need for it. Have you not paid any attention to nr deer regions over the last 2 bad winters? Who gets cut? nr tags have been cut not residents and how many times since those cuts have you seen nr tags increased back when the deer numbers increased.....zero...they will cut if needed.

i
Did you harppen to pay attention to the increases in elk tags this season, in some of the hardest hit areas by the winter? Take a look of you haven't. Might be eye opening for you.

The state wants to sell as many non resident elk permits as they can. Yes, eventually they will have pressure from residents to reduce but that won't come until 2025 or later. Even then, I don't believe the numbers drop below the levels they were previously baring a disease outbreak.

Now they absolutely might distribute those tags in undesirable areas.... That's a different conversation.

Archer86

WKR
Did you harppen to pay attention to the increases in elk tags this season, in some of the hardest hit areas by the winter? Take a look of you haven't. Might be eye opening for you.

The state wants to sell as many non resident elk permits as they can. Yes, eventually they will have pressure from residents to reduce but that won't come until 2025 or later. Even then, I don't believe the numbers drop below the levels they were previously baring a disease outbreak.

Now they absolutely might distribute those tags in undesirable areas.... That's a different conversation.
the elk did not suffer anything like the deer did not even close number are still above objective in most area yeah i pay attention and talk with biologist regularly

A majority of tags where shifted from one season to another not many are actually added and if they added in type 4 and 6 those went to residents and nr at the 84 16 split and those areas are typically way over objective or primarily private

KHNC

WKR
the elk did not suffer anything like the deer did not even close number are still above objective in most area yeah i pay attention and talk with biologist regularly

A majority of tags where shifted from one season to another not many are actually added and if they added in type 4 and 6 those went to residents and nr at the 84 16 split and those areas are typically way over objective or primarily private
Is there a link to the wyoming elk objective maps that you know of? I have not been able to find an update version.

Laramie

WKR

Agree completely that the elk didn't suffer like deer and antelope. However, they did increase LQ tags in regions where the elk did take losses. Over objective or not, that shows their hand imo. Take area 16 for instance. Why would we see an increase now, after that region took a harder hit than they have in the last 50 years?