Your input--give me your advice on picking a hunt to do

I live in Wisconsin and want to start seeing other hunting. The skies the limit as far as species, where, when, how. Let's just use a $5000 all in budget to do said trip. Probably will be doing it alone which rules out a lot of DIY crazy backcountry stuff. I've been searching and can't seem to find any really good answers. So, what have you done? What would you do if you had that money and time to some type of hunt? Looking forward to some awesome ideas and input.

chris

diggler

FNG
Talk a buddy or two into going with you, by no means should you all get a tag if it's the first year just one tag for the group. Get your feet wet and just try to learn and have fun. I'd bet you and your buddies would be looking to do it every year. Really Colorado is the only true otc state, and everyone else knows it too, anymore unless you want to deal with the Idaho mess of trying to get an otc tag.

OP
C
Talk a buddy or two into going with you, by no means should you all get a tag if it's the first year just one tag for the group. Get your feet wet and just try to learn and have fun. I'd bet you and your buddies would be looking to do it every year. Really Colorado is the only true otc state, and everyone else knows it too, anymore unless you want to deal with the Idaho mess of trying to get an otc tag.
Thanks for the input. I'm not limiting this discussion to deer/elk with tags. Exotics, upland, predators, whatever. I'm open.

chris

OP
C
I’d seriously look at Africa.
I've been to Kenya and Ethiopia(not hunting). I'm not real sure I want to go back, but it's a big continent and I have only seen a small portion. Do you really think you can do it on that budget though?

chris

Need some more info:
1. When? This fall or further out?
2. What is your physical ability?
3. Are you experienced at hiking/camping/hunting?
4. Weapon preference?

Everybody hunts for different reasons so expect to get a wide variety of hunt ideas.

tdhanses

WKR
I've been to Kenya and Ethiopia(not hunting). I'm not real sure I want to go back, but it's a big continent and I have only seen a small portion. Do you really think you can do it on that budget though?

chris
Yes if you don’t bring anything home to mount. Are you an SCI member, go to a banquet and you can get hunts pretty cheap.

OP
C
Need some more info:
1. When? This fall or further out?
2. What is your physical ability?
3. Are you experienced at hiking/camping/hunting?
4. Weapon preference?

Everybody hunts for different reasons so expect to get a wide variety of hunt ideas.
I want a wide variety!!!!

1. Not this fall
2. I'm 51 and not getting any younger. I still climb a tree for deer hunting.
3. I hike quite a bit. I camp, but I don't have gear to nor do I want to set up some spike camp in the bush to do this. I have been deer hunting in Wisconsin for near fourty years. I was once was an avid waterfowl hunter. I have traveled to Canada, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota for waterfowl hunting. Gave waterfowl a few years ago.
4. Prefer to rifle/shotgun hunt

tdhanses

WKR
If you end up talking to outfitters, be sure to research references before booking with them. Plenty of shady ones out there. Especially in NW Montana.
I don’t think he could do a outfitted hunt for $5k all in when you consider hunt cost, tag cost, fuel, hotels there and back possibly plus tip for the guide, cook and wrangler.

OP
C
If you end up talking to outfitters, be sure to research references before booking with them. Plenty of shady ones out there. Especially in NW Montana.
That's all part of the discussion. I'd like to hear what others have done and who they may have used to do it.

chris

OP
C
I don’t think he could do a outfitted hunt for $5k all in when you consider hunt cost, tag cost, fuel, hotels there and back possibly plus tip for the guide, cook and wrangler.
I assume you are talking about Montana???? So, what would it take for bear, elk, whitetail or Mule deer in Montana?

tdhanses

WKR
I assume you are talking about Montana???? So, what would it take for bear, elk, whitetail or Mule deer in Montana?
Any state really, when you pay for an outfitted hunt that’s only 2/3rd the price you’ll pay, tags aren’t included so depending on elk or deer that is $400-$1300, fuel will probably be another $500-$1000 depending on distance and vehicle. If you need a hotel on the way out and back that can be $100-$200 a night depending on availability. Tips for guides usually are in the 10-15% of the hunt cost.

Then consider an outfitted hunt for $2500-$3500 is most likely to be a bad experience.

Could do an outfitted cow elk hunt in NM or CO for $5k, including travel and everything. Outfitted rifle cow hunts typically take 1-2 days. Your success is 90%+.

There may be some outfitted rifle mule deer hunts that would need some research.

Could do a DIY rifle mule deer/antelope hunt in MT or WY, and probably stay in a hotel if he doesn't want to camp. Success rate is high for antelope, and lower for mule deer.

Could do a DIY rifle bull elk or mule deer hunt in CO. Staying in a hotel will limit your success rate. You've missed this year's draw so you'd have to go with an over-the-counter (OTC) tag. Your success rate is less than 20% for a first timer.

tdhanses

WKR
Any suggestions on where?
Not really, I researched it years ago but don’t think prices have gone up or up much but worth researching. This past March at my local RMEF banquet a black bear hunt for this May went for $2400 in auction.