Your input--give me your advice on picking a hunt to do

go_deep

WKR
If I was from Wisconsin looking to do some hunting, I'd be looking at southern Arizona, New Mexico, maybe even Texas for a January/February hunt.
Lots of different critters and options.

OP
C
How much flexibility do you have as far as how long you can be gone for the trip?

What types of hunting and where have you done already?

I would most likely not be limited in time (sometimes you have more time then money :)))

Like I stated earileri, I was an avid waterfowl hunter and traveled extensively doing that. Now I'm just into deer hunting. I do enjoy pheasants and upland hunting, but I don't have dogs any longer so I'm at the mercy of going with people who have them.

OP
C
If I was from Wisconsin looking to do some hunting, I'd be looking at southern Arizona, New Mexico, maybe even Texas for a January/February hunt.
Lots of different critters and options.
That brings up a good point----I have in-laws in Mesa. Is there any hunting in the southern part of the state or is all the good stuff up north?

chris

First thing that came to mind is a high country bear hunt in Washington. Pay a packer to take you up for a drop camp. Awesome country, you are allowed to shoot two bears, tags aren’t that expensive.

Wyoming antelope is another cheap easy hunt. No way is it close to the scenery/adventure scale of a high country hunt though.

go_deep

WKR
That brings up a good point----I have in-laws in Mesa. Is there any hunting in the southern part of the state or is all the good stuff up north?

chris
Coues and Javalina all the way right to the mexico border, quail for a time filler.

DanimalW

WKR
My advice is to go on a hunt where you’re going to see some new scenery. New Foundland moose was mentioned. Elk in the mountains. Maybe black bear in Alaska. I want to see something new if I’m dropping a chunk of change.

Also, if black bears interest you, start buying points in Wisconsin. In 8-10 years you can draw a tag and have no problem hunting over bait when you’re 60.

OP
C
My advice is to go on a hunt where you’re going to see some new scenery. New Foundland moose was mentioned. Elk in the mountains. Maybe black bear in Alaska. I want to see something new if I’m dropping a chunk of change.

Also, if black bears interest you, start buying points in Wisconsin. In 8-10 years you can draw a tag and have no problem hunting over bait when you’re 60.
Just went online and bought my bear points. I haven't been doing that and I should have been. Thanks.

jayhawk

WKR
For $5000 I'd say do an antelope or upland bird hunt. Antelope don't get the lore and attention that elk get, but you could get some decent gear and stay in a nice place and just treat yourself rather than stretch that budget and do a mediocre elk hunt. I know, there are a lot of variables with outfitters and stuff, but that's just my thought process. Same to be said for upland hunts IMO.

Antelope in WY or MT. WY is giving far less tags out this year (brucellosis IIRC) so getting a tag might be tough. That said I drew I decent MT tag in 2018 on 0 points.

Put in for a B/doe tag and you will have good odds and lots of fun. Most draw deadlines aren’t until the summer so you still have time.

You could do these hunts and be well, well below a 5k budget.

Cowbell

WKR
1) Alaska Haul Road caribou with a buddy
2) Alaska Sitka deer hunt out of a boat
3) Kansas whitetail
4) Colorado/NM landowner tag elk/mule deer
5) Texas Nilgai and or Audad

PRC_GUY

WKR
Many guys on here are buying high end light weight gear to be very comfortable in the back country. Nothing wrong with that but it can be done cheaper, it just won't be as comfortable.
I would pay for good gears, no doubt about it!

I did a boat based Kodiak trip a few years ago for a little under $5k total. I think the better operations are about $5k just for the boat ride, not including air fare etc.

You might have to stretch the budget a bit but Kodiak blacktails would be my suggestion.

Like others mentioned, you can do DIY trips for less.

I can't imagine being $5k into an antelope. Hah

BravoNovember

Lil-Rokslider
From Wisconsin as well. After the intimidation and analysis paralysis of searching, reading, watching and listening to all of the good and bad information out there, I've determined that just going and trying something is the only real way to go about it.

I've accumulated points in a few states and am going on a DIY, solo hunt this September. Trying to plan around buddies and having "the best access, lowest pressure, best success rates" was driving me nuts trying to decide. All in ill be close to $5,000. That's including Tag/license, Food, Fuel (1/5th of the cost), gear needed that I didn't have (exo 4800, bino harness, camping gear).

Simply put, just gotta pick something and go for it.

EdP

WKR
I suggest a spring black bear hunt in northern Idaho, fully guided. PM me if you want a recommendation on an outfitter (a buddy and I used in 2019). Many of the bear units in northern Idaho offer two tags over the counter. In 2019 they were $41.50 each, and there is a high percentage of color phase bears in that area. We went in to a backcountry camp on pack stock, stayed in nice canvas tents, had good meals and a fun hunt. We rode horses in the mtns every day in beautiful country and my buddy and I brought home 3 bears between us, two chocolates and a black. He didn't hunt after the 1st day. It was very much like a traditional guided backcountry elk hunt but for 1/2 the cost. A day to go in, a day to come out, and 5 days of hunting. You can stay well within your 5K target and get your feet wet on a western mountain hunt.

The other recommendation that so many others have mentioned, Wy pronghorn, is another great choice but won't give you the same backcountry experience. If you were to stretch that 5K budget a bit you could do both the same year, one in the spring and one in the fall.

KHNC

WKR
The VERY best whitetail or Mule deer outfitter for the money I have ever met is in Sheridan Wyoming. They are booked a year or two out though. Lots of repeat clients. You will see over 150 deer per day, easy. Dave Nelson of www.nelsonoutfitters.com When i used outfitters, i went with Dave several times. 5k will get you a trophy deer hunt for either species , including the tag. They apply for you and everything. You may get lucky and get in this fall if you give them a call. Sometimes they have a cancellation. Tag is simple to draw for private land.