Your most haunting or embarrassing missed shots.

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have two from this year.

First was September in Montana I had an awesome bull at 62 yards. In my excitement I did not compensate for my arrow arch and it struck a branch dead center about halfway to the bull.

The second I had a large droptine buck please see the attached picture that I had 4 different encounters with one miss. In the rain at 52 yards he either ducked my arrow or I shot just a bit high. I will forever remember my arrow just an inch over his back.

2peterhunter

Lil-Rokslider
ac2d92f3b827c52512dc3004774d8032.jpg

The buck that was shot during rifle season.

5b59a744e434c6b961a5056c08a58805.jpg

The bull that I missed.

Missed my largest still to date Florida Buck with my muzzeloader at 11 yards. No excuses! I was cranked up to 11! Followed it up an hour later with a raccoon kill at 116 yards. (F&G was trying to control the raccoons so if you killed a raccoon you could get a ride back to camp in the meat truck.)

I have three deer that haunt me. One was a miss , one I didn’t get a shot at and one was stolen!

The miss was a monster 10 point main frame with a 10” drop on its right main beam. I had my 9 year old in a stand next to mine. I heard a deer coming from accross the street into our patch of woods. I told him not to move. I turn to see the deer only 15 yards away behind a bush. Just as it clears the bush my son leans around the tree and the deer sees him and whirls away. I grunt with my mouth and it stops broadside at 20 yards. I shoot and it looks like a great shot until I see the arrow just stop and fall to the ground. There was a vine a couple feet closer to me than the deer it hit it and stopped cold. The deer I didn’t get a shot at was with my son on the ground overlooking a swamp creek crossing. We were in an opening in thick cover overlooking a big oak flat. I have no idea how the deer got so close without me seeing it but I didn’t see it until it was twenty yards away and slightly quartering towards me. Normally I would have taken this shot but my son was with me and he was only about 6. I decide it wait a couple of steps where it will be perfectly broadside. The next thing I know I hear my son start to giggle. The deer heard it and whirled away. It was the biggest bodied deer I have ever seen with about 140” 8 point frame. Finally I shot the largest deer of my life about 150” 10 point again with my son in the tree with me. He was 9. It was a quartering to shot and I rushed it and got minimal penetration. We tracked it about 50 yards and had poor blood so I called a friend and we met the next morning before light. We tracked it about 300 yards across a field and at the hedgerow on the other side we found an ungodly amount of blood. It looked like the arrow got caught and opened up the chest in a big way. We come out the other side of the hedgerow onto the next door neighbors lawn and find a bed with a huge pool of blood about 5 yards from the driveway and 20 yards from a highway. There was a drag mark with blood indicating some one stole my deer. There was a common theme with these hunts. I hunted these spots due to having my son with me and had to accommodate his needs as a small kid and wouldn’t have been there those days or those particular stands if I was alone. In all of those deer he also alerted the deer to our presence. So he’s both my lucky charm and my black cloud! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was about an hour in on some state land in iowa for shotgun opener and all started well, thought I was away from anything that would get pushed. 9 am 5 shots ring off like 30 yards from me and thought I was gonna die. Look up and a booner was coming through woods. Pulled up and missed at like 50 yards, it all happened so fast I didnt have time to get ready or think about it. No hit. Packed my shit up and got out of there for fear of dying.