AB Raptor suppressor - Reflex

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
has anyone run one of these with or without the Reflex? Mine are in jail. Have a 6 and 8 stack with a 2" and 4" reflex. I ordered bull barrel size reflex which they'll let me swap to standard if they're unused. I went with bull size reflex just in case I ever swap barrels or get a carbon barrel but they have less internal volume and I wondering if they reduce db's less. I think I'll prefer to run both flush mount so I'm not bothering changing until I shoot them flush mounted.
My question is for those who have AB Raptors do you run the reflex or not? Do you hear much of a difference? Are the extra ounces worth it? Does it alter the balance of the rifle any?
Thanks in advance.

BjornF16

WKR
You’re answers are here

OP
G

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
no so much when it comes to how owners end up running them - with the reflex or not.

I received this in the included pamphlet with my raptor. Assuming my 338 win mag is what they mean as a magnum, I've not tried the flush mount on my 10 stack on my 338 win mag.

I can certainly say that the recoil feels very different than it did without it as well as other rifles with a non reflex suppressor. It's much more of a slower recoil like a push than a kick. I think it's because of the added volume behind the first baffle that attenuates the rate the gases exit. Maybe it also lets the first baffle catch more gas to push the rifle forward offsetting some recoil. Who knows, I am just guessing, but all I can say is that my 8.5 lb (total weight) 338 win mag now kicks a lot easier.

AB Suppressor Restrictions.jpg

OP
G

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
i had just given so little thought to the reflex @ time of order b/c of the testing, like in the link mentioned above, was all w/o reflex when comparing to other cans. I assumed I'd just run the flush mount. since the standard will fit my barrels (7prc) I think to get the most out of the reflex's internal volume i should return the bull size for the standard - i'm assuming since more volume, it will be more noticeable .....

Can additional reflex attachments be purchased without the whole tax stamp process?

I think I remember seeing a video where Rok staff asked AB this question at release of the raptor and they didn’t know if that would be legal at the time. Never did see a follow up. I see them for sale individually online for about $250 but that doesn’t mean much. Planned on asking my dealer when I go to order an 8 stack in a couple months, but someone here must know.

BjornF16

WKR
Can additional reflex attachments be purchased without the whole tax stamp process?

I think I remember seeing a video where Rok staff asked AB this question at release of the raptor and they didn’t know if that would be legal at the time. Never did see a follow up. I see them for sale individually online for about $250 but that doesn’t mean much. Planned on asking my dealer when I go to order an 8 stack in a couple months, but someone here must know.
Unfortunately, the jackboots put a halt to selling the reflex as an accessory. It is now 1 Reflex per Can. AB will let you swap out to Reflex of choice if the original is unfired.

Don't let the Reflex length or diameter (Sporter or Bull) stop you from ordering the Raptor of your desired # of stacks or caliber.

SloppyJ

WKR
I have a 10stack 7.62 in jail right now and I'm 230ish days in so hopefully any day now. I'm in the opposite boat wanting to switch my reflex portion for the bull barrel style. My FFL says he's sketched out trading it out for me right now so I'm going to have to wait for it to clear before I trade. Do I have to ship through a FFL since the rules are stupid on the reflex? I think that's ridiculous.

Also, I thought I did my research but this is the first time I've heard of having to use it on certain calibers. I've heard it makes a little bit of a difference but not much. From AB, they said 3" is the point of diminishing returns so that's what I went with.

Cool to see others using them. When I purchased there wasn't much info out there on them but I still believe it to be a great buy especially since I got a free .22 can with it at the time.

ElPollo

WKR
has anyone run one of these with or without the Reflex? Mine are in jail. Have a 6 and 8 stack with a 2" and 4" reflex. I ordered bull barrel size reflex which they'll let me swap to standard if they're unused. I went with bull size reflex just in case I ever swap barrels or get a carbon barrel but they have less internal volume and I wondering if they reduce db's less. I think I'll prefer to run both flush mount so I'm not bothering changing until I shoot them flush mounted.
My question is for those who have AB Raptors do you run the reflex or not? Do you hear much of a difference? Are the extra ounces worth it? Does it alter the balance of the rifle any?
Thanks in advance.
Yes, yes, yes, and marginally. To me the reflex has a noticeably significant impact on noise and recoil. When I got it, the plan was to run it without the reflex on my smaller guns and with it on my 300. I prefer not to use it on anything without the reflex. That said, your mileage may vary. The bull barrel versions have less internal volume so the effects are likely to be less significant than mine. The weight penalty is there, but it’s about 4 oz and it seems less because it is behind the muzzle. The raptors are pretty light and durable cans and they seem to punch above their class on suppression.

OP
G

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Spoke with AB. No wait to switch reflex’s so long as not shot and they’ll trade out. Can ship yourself or via dealer. Just 1 reflex per can tho. I’m going to wait till I have mine in hand and exchange for the standard….most likely.

Last edited:
There’s no serial number on the reflex part so there’d be no way to track exchanges or trades. Just saying.

I do see how the reflex (or flush mount) could be considered an integral component to the silencer product, as it operates as one unit and therefore has to be sold as one unit. On the other hand, the same could be said for any muzzle device that threads to a suppressor. To bad AB couldn’t call their reflexes and flush mounts a muzzle device with just a proprietary thread to the silencer.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Yes, yes, yes, and marginally. To me the reflex has a noticeably significant impact on noise and recoil. When I got it, the plan was to run it without the reflex on my smaller guns and with it on my 300. I prefer not to use it on anything without the reflex. That said, your mileage may vary. The bull barrel versions have less internal volume so the effects are likely to be less significant than mine. The weight penalty is there, but it’s about 4 oz and it seems less because it is behind the muzzle. The raptors are pretty light and durable cans and they seem to punch above their class on suppression.
I agree the reflex not only drops the overall dBs it make the system much hollower sounding which I prefer. The weight is a non factor to me.

Thanks in advance.
I use the reflexes at the range but they arent really worth the weight on a hunt to me with my style of hunting. Depending on what you're using them on, the 6 and 8 stack are likely good enough without the reflex to hunt with. Your 4" will definitely make a difference but the 2" will be more subtle. 3" is a good size reflex too. I have only used the bull barrel ones so far, i do have a standard one lying around somewhere for an AR i havent used yet tho. I imagine the standard would work better than bull since it has more internal volume. They dont seem to mess up the balance of the rifle too bad for me compared to direct thread

I agree the reflex not only drops the overall dBs it make the system much hollower sounding which I prefer. The weight is a non factor to me.
Maybe you should try the 10 stack with a 5" reflex if you havent, its crazy quiet. I could club someone to death with this thing tho, its massive 😅

Attachments

• 20230821_221208.jpg
    20230821_221208.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 136
Thanks in advance.
I have the 4 stack with the 3” inch reflex and it’s a noticeable difference on my 22” 6.5 prc . That being said I’m running it in the flush config to save as much weight as possible.
Not sure if the results would be the same on the 6 or 8 stack , I’m assuming they would .

ElPollo

WKR
Everyone has different goals and expectations with equipment and no one is wrong. That said, I opted to take a bit more hit on barrel length and velocity for more suppressor. I really like the benefits they provide in terms of noise suppression and recoil reduction. I like the reflex because it gives you the extra volume but moves some of the weight behind the muzzle. Given the BATF hassle involved in acquiring a suppressor and the amount of tinnitus I already have, compact suppressors that are loud and don’t allow you to spot your shots are not my thing.

CaptArab

FNG
Classified Approved
So what did you settle on?

I have an urge to do a 6 + 2" 22 cal on a 16" Montana 22 creed with a DMx NX8

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, I have the 8 with a 3” reflex and it does a great job. If I’m in open country, I’ll put it on my .270 with a 22” barrel. If I’m going into more forested areas, it goes on my .260 with an 18” barrel. It does stick out there a bit.

I’ve tried with both the flush mount and the reflex. I much prefer the overall sound with the reflex installed. The 8 would be ok without the reflex, but I don’t know that I’d go much smaller without one. Trade offs with suppression vs weight are up to you.

SloppyJ

WKR
Update on the reflex swap:

I finally got my two AB cans approved around a total of 250 days wait period. First thing I did was ship it back to them to swap the reflex out from a 3" standard diameter (.75") to a 3" bull barrel diameter (1"). The process was super easy but they do charge $50 for the swap which apparently is new.

I shipped it out to them on a Friday, they recieved it Monday, and I had it back on Wednesday. They said they get them out the same day so they don't have to log them into their ATF paperwork. They included a bunch of stickers when it returned.

Still waiting on some time I can go to the range and test her out.

Update on the reflex swap:

I finally got my two AB cans approved around a total of 250 days wait period. First thing I did was ship it back to them to swap the reflex out from a 3" standard diameter (.75") to a 3" bull barrel diameter (1"). The process was super easy but they do charge $50 for the swap which apparently is new.

I shipped it out to them on a Friday, they recieved it Monday, and I had it back on Wednesday. They said they get them out the same day so they don't have to log them into their ATF paperwork. They included a bunch of stickers when it returned.

Still waiting on some time I can go to the range and test her out.

Were you able to make it out to shoot and compare with and without the reflex?