AB Raptor suppressor - Reflex

Not assuming whether or not this is something you already know. Ringing your ears is not temporary. The ringing itself may subside, but it’s permanent damage to your ears that is cumulative. Every time you do it, your hearing gets incrementally worse. I’ve done plenty of dumb things that I wish I could take back in my life. I have permanent and pretty severe tinnitus and high frequency hearing loss. A lot of that was from bird hunting where traditional ear protection isn’t an option. Now I use electronic in-the-ear protection while hunting that allows me to hear my hunting partners, where my dog is, and I can even hear quail calling several hundred yards away. Those plugs have an NRR of about 23 dB, which is good for shotguns and for suppressed rifles but won’t handle an unsuppressed magnum or anything with a brake.

What plugs do you use while hunting? I too hunt quail and chukar and need to look into some protection. I started shooting a 28 gauge and that has helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyJ

WKR
I don’t know how to respond to that other than to say I don’t find the benefit of less weight worth using it without the reflex.
This is the best way to sum it up. TimbrHunter, you're just going to have to pick one and roll with it. I played the game too of trying to research everything and there's only so much info out there. On top of that, tone is so subjective. I can positively say that for my hunting purposes, I've never been unsatisfied with the AB Raptor. Matter of fact, every time I shoot it, I smile. I'm sure there are plenty of great cans out there but it fit the bill the best for me being light weight, limiting extra length to my barrel, and providing great suppression. I would happily make the same purchase again and I likely will in a 6 or 8 version.

By all means, I can say with 1000% certainty, get the bull barrel reflex module. I was in your shoes and originally ordered mine with the standard diameter. By the time it cleared, I had acquired a few rifles it wouldn't work with already and I was building another. If I get another one, I will be going with a 2" reflex.

20231111_111109.jpg

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR
What plugs do you use while hunting? I too hunt quail and chukar and need to look into some protection. I started shooting a 28 gauge and that has helped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve had a pair of SoundGear Platinum plugs for about 6 years. There are a lot more options on the market now than when I bought these. I got them from an audiologist for 40% off what they listed on the website ($650) and it was one of the best purchases I’ve ever made. I’d probably be legally deaf by now if I hadn’t. I hunt quail for 4 months out of the year. I’ve heard good things about the Otto Noizbarrier plugs. They are rechargeable.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe you should try the 10 stack with a 5" reflex if you havent, its crazy quiet. I could club someone to death with this thing tho, its massive 😅
In your opinion how does the 10” without reflex compare to the 8” with the 3” reflex. Would you choose one over the other for FRP in a hunting situation with a standard .30 caliber bolt gun? I’m thinking of for myself but also my kids (12 yr old and up).

Bluefish

WKR
In your opinion how does the 10” without reflex compare to the 8” with the 3” reflex. Would you choose one over the other for FRP in a hunting situation with a standard .30 caliber bolt gun? I’m thinking of for myself but also my kids (12 yr old and up).
I can’t answer from experience as I only have a 10 and 3” reflex. From data they have posted it seems the 3” reflex is about 2-3 db reduction and 2 baffles are about 3. So very similar. The reflex is heavier than 2 baffles, so a 10 direct mount is lighter than a 8 with 3” reflex. I take that to mean most reduction for weight is more baffles. The advantage of the reflex is you can take it off, so a 10 direct mount is lighter than a similar performing 8+3”, but the 8 direct is lighter when used alone. In theory you Could run the reflex for max attenuation on the range, then remove it for a lighter can when hunting.
I believe the scythe Ti is maybe 1-2 oz lighter than a direct 8 stack. Performance is similar, 8 stack has one more baffle, but is smaller diameter. max attenuation would be a 10 stack and 5” reflex. Its super long, but 1/3 or so is over the barrel which helps it be less muzzle heavy.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I can’t answer from experience as I only have a 10 and 3” reflex. From data they have posted it seems the 3” reflex is about 2-3 db reduction and 2 baffles are about 3. So very similar. The reflex is heavier than 2 baffles, so a 10 direct mount is lighter than a 8 with 3” reflex. I take that to mean most reduction for weight is more baffles. The advantage of the reflex is you can take it off, so a 10 direct mount is lighter than a similar performing 8+3”, but the 8 direct is lighter when used alone. In theory you Could run the reflex for max attenuation on the range, then remove it for a lighter can when hunting.
I believe the scythe Ti is maybe 1-2 oz lighter than a direct 8 stack. Performance is similar, 8 stack has one more baffle, but is smaller diameter. max attenuation would be a 10 stack and 5” reflex. Its super long, but 1/3 or so is over the barrel which helps it be less muzzle heavy.
Thanks - that's helpful and really what I was getting at - baffles vs reflex for the AB. I see more comments on the 8 than the 10 - but it seems the 10 would really compare to a TBAC 7 and would be about the same length (little heavier) and TBAC 7 has a great reputation for hunting. Figure the 10 with reflex would be very flexible with really good suppression. The "in theory" comment about removing the reflex - Does that mean yes you could remove the reflex but typically not worth the trouble? That's sort of where I figure I'll likely end up - idea that I could remove it but probably in the end wouldn't.

Bluefish

WKR
I find that I just leave the reflex on. Will be hunting with it on this weekend, but we only hike in a 1/2 mile to a stand then back out. Not packing all day. I have another 10 in jail with a 5” reflex. If it gets kicked back (rp vs trust wording issue), I may see if I can swap it for a 8 for more flexibility.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
I find that I just leave the reflex on. Will be hunting with it on this weekend, but we only hike in a 1/2 mile to a stand then back out. Not packing all day. I have another 10 in jail with a 5” reflex. If it gets kicked back (rp vs trust wording issue), I may see if I can swap it for a 8 for more flexibility.
If you were getting your first or just one which would you go with? 8 or 10 and what size reflex? Appreciate the info you’re sharing

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks - that's helpful and really what I was getting at - baffles vs reflex for the AB. I see more comments on the 8 than the 10 - but it seems the 10 would really compare to a TBAC 7 and would be about the same length (little heavier) and TBAC 7 has a great reputation for hunting. Figure the 10 with reflex would be very flexible with really good suppression. The "in theory" comment about removing the reflex - Does that mean yes you could remove the reflex but typically not worth the trouble? That's sort of where I figure I'll likely end up - idea that I could remove it but probably in the end wouldn't.
In the thunderbeast summit the raptor 10 with 3” bull reflex was quieter than the ultra 9 fyi.

In regards to your 8 vs 10 question, if the extra length and 1.Xoz aren’t of concern get the 10. If you want a lil shorter and lighter the 8 is more versatile.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
In the thunderbeast summit the raptor 10 with 3” bull reflex was quieter than the ultra 9 fyi.

In regards to your 8 vs 10 question, if the extra length and 1.Xoz aren’t of concern get the 10. If you want a lil shorter and lighter the 8 is more versatile.
Thanks didn’t catch that regarding tbac 9 vs 10 in the report. Good to know- looking more like the 10 for me

Bluefish

WKR
If you were getting your first or just one which would you go with? 8 or 10 and what size reflex? Appreciate the info you’re sharing
Depends. Background, I got lucky on my first 10 and got it in 2 weeks. Shop gave up sot. Because of that I have used it a lot this summer working up loads for several rifles. while it’s quiet for a silencer, it’s not quiet enough that I don’t still wear protection at the range. I got a second can for a 45-70 a month ago and after using it with subsonic and sonic, I realized how much noise the sonic crack adds on a big round. Also how heavy that silencer is (not raptor) and how long. 20oz, 10”. I am realizing that light and quiet enough for a shot or two is probably optimal. Hence the 8 if I get a chance, already have a 10.

when I started the process, quiet was #1 priority. Now having used 2 different cans, weight it probably #1, provided it can get under 140db. Having 20 oz swinging around on the end of the barrel makes offhand shots tough. The reflex moving that weight in does make a difference. Also the difference between 140 and 130 with good hearing protection is not much. You will be down around 100-110 with single protection and sub 100 with double. Safe for 1000+ shots a day.
if I could only get 1 can and was going to backpack hunt, the 8 stack would be my first choice, either a 3 or 5 reflex for range work. lots of range time or maybe hunting with kids and little hiking, 10 would be the choice. It’s only 1.5 oz or so for those extra 2 baffles. Not much and it is quieter.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
@Bluefish you’re spot on with the AB recommendation I just received.

Below is the response I received back from AB direct - pretty impressed with less than a 24hr response via email. Almost as good as you fine folks on this forum haha!

Morning Sam,

The Raptor 8 is our most popular Raptor and would be my pick for your use. The Raptor 10 is marginally quieter but on the calibers you'll be using it on you'd need our testing equipment just to tell the difference. Both suppressors, with and without a reflex, will keep the report of the cartridges you mentioned well below what is considered hearing-safe

mt100gr.

WKR
@Bluefish you’re spot on with the AB recommendation I just received.

Below is the response I received back from AB direct - pretty impressed with less than a 24hr response via email. Almost as good as you fine folks on this forum haha!

Morning Sam,

The Raptor 8 is our most popular Raptor and would be my pick for your use. The Raptor 10 is marginally quieter but on the calibers you'll be using it on you'd need our testing equipment just to tell the difference. Both suppressors, with and without a reflex, will keep the report of the cartridges you mentioned well below what is considered hearing-safe
Which cartridges did you mention wanting to use in your question to AB?
Thanks!

OP
G

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Finally have the 6 stack. Waiting on 8 stack still. Reflex’s I need to swap out to standard size and the 4” is just too long. Flush mounted it looks like a sex toy, with the reflex a very large sex toy. Ordered Cole-TAC covers (at flush mount length). Will have to see if I really like the reflex once I get the proper size.

Attachments

• IMG_0561.jpeg
    IMG_0561.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0558.jpeg
    IMG_0558.jpeg
    237.1 KB · Views: 44
OP
G

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Have an 8 stack on my sons and 6 stack on mine. Both 24” Benchmark barrels with 1/2x28 threads. His is quieter if you listen closely but more than a few feet away it’s hard to hear much difference. The crack of the shot is reduced and more of a “whoomph” sound and a push with recoil. I tried both the 2” and 3” reflex and while the sound doesn’t seem lower the tone does and a bit more “whoomph” sound and less crack but barely. We’ve both opted to hunt flush mounted. Just don’t see enough of a benefit from the reflex plus, with 1/2x28 we need to run adapter too. Also at 80 degrees today, the mirage after just 2 shots was noticeable - so I want to run a cover. The reflex + adapter + another, longer cover is just more than I want hanging off the front in both weight and number of components for the small gain. I like the reflex mount better because the flush cap tends to stay put when I loosen the can - there’s just less to grip. If I had 5/8x24 threaded barrel I may opt for an 1 or 2” reflex mount because I wouldn’t need an adapter. The flush mount comes in either 1/2x28 or 5/8x24. Overall very happy with the suppression.

OP
G

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
FYI, read your manuals, larger magnum calibers require a min. 2" reflex.
Called AB for clarification because I did read the manual and I was surprised. Not the case. Can be shot flush mounted. Cut and paste from email:
“Do I need to run a reflex with 7prc?”

“It isn't a requirement to run the reflex with any caliber. You can use the flush mount on any caliber the suppressor is rated for.”

Last edited:

ElPollo

WKR
Finally have the 6 stack. Waiting on 8 stack still. Reflex’s I need to swap out to standard size and the 4” is just too long. Flush mounted it looks like a sex toy, with the reflex a very large sex toy. Ordered Cole-TAC covers (at flush mount length). Will have to see if I really like the reflex once I get the proper size.
I am man enough to not be intimidated by a Raptor mounted on my rifle and to recognize that Raptors and similar shaped objects can be useful.