AB Raptor suppressor - Reflex

SloppyJ

WKR
Called AB for clarification because I did read the manual and I was surprised. Not the case. Can be shot flush mounted. Cut and paste from email:
“Do I need to run a reflex with 7prc?”

“It isn't a requirement to run the reflex with any caliber. You can use the flush mount on any caliber the suppressor is rated for.”
That's great to know. I remember reading it in there and thought that it was pretty sneaky how they just mentioned it in that one spot but don't say anything about it on the website or anywhere else that I had seen. Thanks for calling and reporting back. Every time I call them I'm impressed with their customer service which is another reason I'm glad I went out on a limb a couple years back and got one when no one knew anything about them.

SloppyJ

WKR
I am man enough to not be intimidated by a Raptor mounted on my rifle and to recognize that Raptors and similar shaped objects can be useful.
I don't give a damn about what it looks like as long as it performs which is a good thing in this case!

OP
G

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
Wonder if the reflex on magnums is for back pressure / extra powder perhaps impacting gas guns or accuracy? I didn’t get that far in my questions with them.

Last edited:

SloppyJ

WKR
Wonder if the reflex on magnums is for back pressure / extra powder perhaps impacting gas guns or accuracy? I didn’t get that far in my questions with them.
Not sure but it makes sense. I've ran it flush mounted on my 9" 300blk and the backpressure is unreal with a 10 stack. I called them because I was thinking about getting a warthog 5.56 to slap on an AR and told then my experience. They said the sweet spot is between 4 and 6 baffles on gas guns in relation to backpressure. The warthog or a-10 is a 5 baffle can. Obviously with no reflex.

I thought I broke something on my gun shooting 300 supers out of it. It was that violent. I was setting it up for my son to shoot his first deer with. I ended up two clicks from closed on my gas block. Thats the day I determined that suppressing a gas gun shooting supers is a losing battle.

Shooting an R9 on it makes things much more pleasant and I have to conclude that it's due to the extra bore diameter which should help with the lack of backpressure.

Not sure but it makes sense. I've ran it flush mounted on my 9" 300blk and the backpressure is unreal with a 10 stack. I called them because I was thinking about getting a warthog 5.56 to slap on an AR and told then my experience. They said the sweet spot is between 4 and 6 baffles on gas guns in relation to backpressure. The warthog or a-10 is a 5 baffle can. Obviously with no reflex.

I thought I broke something on my gun shooting 300 supers out of it. It was that violent. I was setting it up for my son to shoot his first deer with. I ended up two clicks from closed on my gas block. Thats the day I determined that suppressing a gas gun shooting supers is a losing battle.

Shooting an R9 on it makes things much more pleasant and I have to conclude that it's due to the extra bore diameter which should help with the lack of backpressure.

Did they say if adding a reflex would help with back pressure? I was thinking about getting an 8 and would want to use it on an AR platform from time to time but mostly bolt gun stuff

z987k

WKR

Didn't sig design some cans specifically to minimalize blow back?

SloppyJ

WKR
Did they say if adding a reflex would help with back pressure? I was thinking about getting an 8 and would want to use it on an AR platform from time to time but mostly bolt gun stuff
They didn't mention if the extra volume would hurt or help. I can only imagine it would help though.

Jimbee

WKR
Bump.
I just got my tax stamp approval email for my Raptor 8. It comes with a 3" bull barrel reflex mount. I'm planning on swapping it to a standard mount for increased volume. Should I stick with a 3" mount, or? I'm planning swapping it between a 6/7prc and some other 6mms.

Bump.
I just got my tax stamp approval email for my Raptor 8. It comes with a 3" bull barrel reflex mount. I'm planning on swapping it to a standard mount for increased volume. Should I stick with a 3" mount, or? I'm planning swapping it between a 6/7prc and some other 6mms.
What diameter are the barrels it'd be going on?

Jimbee

WKR
What diameter are the barrels it'd be going on?
Barrels will be Tikka light or similar. Mostly just debating what length to get. I'm a fan of short, light, minimal recoil and noise. I know there are trade offs. I'll probably go with a 3" and just leave it on whatever gun I'm going to elk hunt with, but interested in thoughts of experienced folks. Thanks!

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Bump.
Doesn't seem too worth the $50 in my mind to swap it and then never be able to use it on a larger barrel diameter, just my $0.02. If you want light you'll go direct thread, if you want max volume then get a 5" standard one, otherwise just save your money and run the 3" bull barrel imho. :)

Jimbee

WKR
Doesn't seem too worth the $50 in my mind to swap it and then never be able to use it on a larger barrel diameter, just my $0.02. If you want light you'll go direct thread, if you want max volume then get a 5" standard one, otherwise just save your money and run the 3" bull barrel imho. :)
I'm considering going with max volume 5" and then being able to direct thread for hunting but that goes against my goal of getting away from swapping stuff around.

Jimbee

WKR
Anyone know how much difference there is between a 3" bull and 3" standard reflex?

Anyone know how much difference there is between a 3" bull and 3" standard reflex?
I believe the standard can go over a 0.75" barrel and the bull is 1" but I'd confirm with AB if its not on their site. That's why I asked, just make sure whatever you're putting it on can fit the standard and you'll be fine

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm considering going with max volume 5" and then being able to direct thread for hunting but that goes against my goal of getting away from swapping stuff around.
You've already said you're swapping the can around, what's the difference unscrewing the suppressor from the reflex compared to spinning it off a barrel? Basically nothing.
Seems like maybe an 1/8" of radius difference on the inside so minimal. Here's another consideration, are you ever gonna use a threaded adapter? Cause if you are the larger diameter bull barrel can fit a socket into it if the adapter decides to spin off in the reflex rather than stay with the barrel.

Jimbee

WKR
You've already said you're swapping the can around, what's the difference unscrewing the suppressor from the reflex compared to spinning it off a barrel? Basically nothing.

Seems like maybe an 1/8" of radius difference on the inside so minimal. Here's another consideration, are you ever gonna use a threaded adapter? Cause if you are the larger diameter bull barrel can fit a socket into it if the adapter decides to spin off in the reflex rather than stay with the barrel.
OK. Thanks for saving me $50.