AB Raptor suppressor - Reflex

SloppyJ

WKR
Were you able to make it out to shoot and compare with and without the reflex?
There is a bit of a difference but it's not crazy. At this point I've ran it on my .308, 300blk, and my 280ai. On bolt guns it's absolutely amazing. I wouldn't hesitate to get another and I'm thinking about it actually. For the gas guns, it creates a lot of backpressure and I had to turn my gas block to two clicks from fully closed. I imagine a raptor with less baffles would be good for that but that's not why I got it. My R9 handles my 300blk just fine.

At the range before opening weekend when I was doing a seating test on my .308, I had 4 people come up and ask me what can it was. With everyone on the bench shooting unsuppressed, it sounded like a pellet gun. The .30-30 is laughable with it on there. I loaded some subs and all you hear is the hammer.

There is a bit of a difference but it's not crazy. At this point I've ran it on my .308, 300blk, and my 280ai. On bolt guns it's absolutely amazing. I wouldn't hesitate to get another and I'm thinking about it actually. For the gas guns, it creates a lot of backpressure and I had to turn my gas block to two clicks from fully closed. I imagine a raptor with less baffles would be good for that but that's not why I got it. My R9 handles my 300blk just fine.

At the range before opening weekend when I was doing a seating test on my .308, I had 4 people come up and ask me what can it was. With everyone on the bench shooting unsuppressed, it sounded like a pellet gun. The .30-30 is laughable with it on there. I loaded some subs and all you hear is the hammer.

To clarify, on bolt guns is there a large gain by using the reflex or is there just a bit of difference? Mainly referring to noise/recoil reduction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I posted this in that bigger suppressor thread yesterday but AB did a video with the following results (as always the dB stuff is only relevant to compare at the same time and conditions). The 3" reflex seems to knock off ~2dB for where the sound was measured in the test.

I recently got a R8 w/ 3" and haven't shot it yet without the reflex to comment on recoil difference. One bonus with the reflex is if you have any sort of thread adapter on your barrel it hides the ugliness. ;)

6.5 creed w/ flush R8 = 129.9
6.5 creed w/ R8 & 3" = 127.7
6.5 creed w/ R6 & 2" = 131.4

308 w/ flush R8 = 130.2
308 w/ R8 & 3" = 128.6
308 w/ R6 & 2" = 131.6

SloppyJ

WKR
To clarify, on bolt guns is there a large gain by using the reflex or is there just a bit of difference? Mainly referring to noise/recoil reduction

There is just a little bit of difference with the reflex vs without on bolt guns I've tested. It's hard to tell but thanks to the guy above, it looks like they tried to quantify it in one of the AB videos and he spelled it out.

The one thing that I didn't notice until I got mine was that they say that for any magnum, a min. 2" reflex is required. Not sure if you were asking because you wanted to run it without on a QD but wanted to make sure you knew. If that's the case, I'd call them up and talk to them. They've been extremely helpful every time I had a question.

ElPollo

WKR
I posted this in that bigger suppressor thread yesterday but AB did a video with the following results (as always the dB stuff is only relevant to compare at the same time and conditions). The 3" reflex seems to knock off ~2dB for where the sound was measured in the test.

I recently got a R8 w/ 3" and haven't shot it yet without the reflex to comment on recoil difference. One bonus with the reflex is if you have any sort of thread adapter on your barrel it hides the ugliness. ;)

6.5 creed w/ flush R8 = 129.9
6.5 creed w/ R8 & 3" = 127.7
6.5 creed w/ R6 & 2" = 131.4

308 w/ flush R8 = 130.2
308 w/ R8 & 3" = 128.6
308 w/ R6 & 2" = 131.6
So decibels are scaled exponentially, which means that a 3 decibel difference is a lot. I have an 8 stack with a 3” reflex that I’ve used on 223 up to 300 magnums. Observationally, the reflex seems to improve suppression, tone, and recoil across the board for me. But I don’t have the equipment to quantify that.

So decibels are scaled exponentially, which means that a 3 decibel difference is a lot. I have an 8 stack with a 3” reflex that I’ve used on 223 up to 300 magnums. Observationally, the reflex seems to improve suppression, tone, and recoil across the board for me. But I don’t have the equipment to quantify that.

Would you say the improvement you are seeing by using the reflex is slightly noticeable, noticeable or very noticeable?

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Would you say the improvement you are seeing by using the reflex is slightly noticeable, noticeable or very noticeable?
What are you trying to sort out here? Whether to get an AB raptor in general? What length of reflex? Whether you'd run it or not? If trying to figure out what reflex if you don't already have a raptor the 3" is the one commonly stocked with available inventory and is a nice middle ground. If trying to figure out if you'd run it or not but you want a raptor regardless then just get it and see what you like best. If a few ounces doesn't matter on a given hunt then run the reflex, if counting ounces don't. :)

As for whether to get a AB raptor, that's a head spinner for sure! I like it alot, I think the raptor 8 is solid. That new silencer co Scythe TI is once to look at too based on some initial reports from folks.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've been using mine mostly on a 243win which is just fun! I have shot it on my 300wsm minimally to collect zero offset data and it was comfortable in terms of recoil. Like I said all has been with the reflex on to date because these have been day hunts where I don't care about the extra few ounces.

What are you trying to sort out here? Whether to get an AB raptor in general? What length of reflex? Whether you'd run it or not? If trying to figure out what reflex if you don't already have a raptor the 3" is the one commonly stocked with available inventory and is a nice middle ground. If trying to figure out if you'd run it or not but you want a raptor regardless then just get it and see what you like best. If a few ounces doesn't matter on a given hunt then run the reflex, if counting ounces don't. :)

As for whether to get a AB raptor, that's a head spinner for sure! I like it alot, I think the raptor 8 is solid. That new silencer co Scythe TI is once to look at too based on some initial reports from folks.

Long story short I have a silencerco harvester 300 (not the newest model) and it’s awesome on my 6.5cm! However there is still some light ear ringing on larger calibers like 7mm mag so I’m looking for a can that can provide more noise/recoil reduction but still feasible for hunting (not too crazy heavy). Also trying to get a gauge on how much benefit the reflex offers because it seems like a great solution for hunting (doesn’t add 8+ inches to the barrel length but maybe perform like a longer suppressor?)

Right now the 3 I’m looking at is AB raptor with reflex, enticed LTI and the Scythe. The Scythe seems to get great reviews on here but I’m just a bit skeptical because it sounds too good to be true. If I wanted just one can, I would buy the Scythe forsure! But I just don’t want another can that performs similar to my harvester 300

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
I was in a somewhat similar purchasing decision. My first can was a Rugged Radiant (which is ~14 oz with quick attach brake), and it performs well with 6.5cm. For my second can I didn't want another that overlapped too much in performance, so I skewed towards full sound suppression and got the AB raptor 10 with 5" reflex (16.5oz). Although it's still in jail, I'm not sure when I'll ever consider the couple oz of weight to not be worth extra sound suppression and recoil reduction. Most peoples' bodyweight fluctuates daily by more than you're worried about here. The Radiant may end up permanently living on my AR.

ElPollo

WKR
Long story short I have a silencerco harvester 300 (not the newest model) and it’s awesome on my 6.5cm! However there is still some light ear ringing on larger calibers like 7mm mag so I’m looking for a can that can provide more noise/recoil reduction but still feasible for hunting (not too crazy heavy). Also trying to get a gauge on how much benefit the reflex offers because it seems like a great solution for hunting (doesn’t add 8+ inches to the barrel length but maybe perform like a longer suppressor?)

Right now the 3 I’m looking at is AB raptor with reflex, enticed LTI and the Scythe. The Scythe seems to get great reviews on here but I’m just a bit skeptical because it sounds too good to be true. If I wanted just one can, I would buy the Scythe forsure! But I just don’t want another can that performs similar to my harvester 300

So about your expectations...

Finding a suppressor that will make a big cartridge like 7 mm mag “hearing safe” is pretty difficult. What hearing safe means for OSHA is 134 decibels for momentary exposure. That level of noise will certainly damage your hearing after multiple momentary exposures (shots). Most of these cans will get you to 134 for 308, but not for big magnums. For magnums, what they do is get your noise levels below where hearing protection will actually prevent hearing damage and stop the blast waves from resulting in hearing damage from passing through your skull and into your ears. All hearing protection has a specific noise reduction rating (NRR). Those NRRs are usually between 22-30. That means they will effectively reduce your noise exposure by that number of decibels. If you are shooting a 308 that is 160 dB, a NRR of 30 will take you down to 130 dB which is below the OSHA hearing safe threshold. 130 will still damage your ears with repeated exposure. But if you are shooting a 300 RUM, it might be 180 decibels and even multiple layers of hearing protection will not get you 134 or below.

I still wear hearing protection when I shoot and hunt with suppressed rifles. If you want to hunt without protection, I’d recommend cutting back to non-magnum calibers that you can get well below 134. If not, expect to spend more of your life saying “what?” and feeling left out of the conversation. I am not trying to patronize you in any way. I have substantial hearing damage and I am trying to hold on to what hearing I still have.

I was in a somewhat similar purchasing decision. My first can was a Rugged Radiant (which is ~14 oz with quick attach brake), and it performs well with 6.5cm. For my second can I didn't want another that overlapped too much in performance, so I skewed towards full sound suppression and got the AB raptor 10 with 5" reflex (16.5oz). Although it's still in jail, I'm not sure when I'll ever consider the couple oz of weight to not be worth extra sound suppression and recoil reduction. Most peoples' bodyweight fluctuates daily by more than you're worried about here. The Radiant may end up permanently living on my AR.

How long have you been waiting? I would like to hear your comparison between the two cans

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My buddy is interested in one and I was looking over specs this week. Personally the length of the LTi I didn't find appealing, but if that length isn't an issue it certainly has some performance for the cost. Keep in mind they scythe is a bigger diameter so it may perform well (the thunderbeast Dominus did well in the summit testing).

My buddy is interested in one and I was looking over specs this week. Personally the length of the LTi I didn't find appealing, but if that length isn't an issue it certainly has some performance for the cost. Keep in mind they scythe is a bigger diameter so it may perform well (the thunderbeast Dominus did well in the summit testing).

Thanks for the info.

The Scythe does have a benefit over my harvester 300 just not sure how much in field benefit in regard to noise/recoil. I will have to give them a call and see what they think

Harvester 300

308: 136.4 db
300WM: 138.3 db

Scythe

308: 132.6 db
300WM: 137.2 db

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Seems like with a magnum you may only gain a few dB over your current can with some of the other options. When you're talking about your ear ringing is this for a single hunting shot now and then or are you shooting at the range with just the can and hoping to not wear ear pro?

If the latter I think you're chasing something that isn't there, quite is going to tend to be heavier and longer. Just wear earpro at the range.

Seems like with a magnum you may only gain a few dB over your current can with some of the other options. When you're talking about your ear ringing is this for a single hunting shot now and then or are you shooting at the range with just the can and hoping to not wear ear pro?

If the latter I think you're chasing something that isn't there, quite is going to tend to be heavier and longer. Just wear earpro at the range.

Most, almost all shots, at the range are shot with ear plugs when I’m shooting with the suppressor. However when hunting I almost never use ear pro, just the way it is.

So I’m looking for a can that will further reduce noise and recoil because I want to step up to something like the 6.5PRC or 7PRC for hunting purposes. But being recoil shy I would like the can to also reduce recoil more than my harvester if that’s possible.

Ear ringing was when I tested the 6.5 (24” barrel) with the can with out ear pro compared to a 270win (22” barrel) and a 7mm mag (26” barrel). 7 mag ears had slight tuning first shot, took one more shot to confirm and yup it’s loud so stopped shooting it. Then a different day did the same with the 270 and 6.5. No ear ringing with 6.5, slight ear ringing with the 270 after 2nd and 3rd shot. Then went back to using ear pro.

Ideally the 270 with 22” barrel is as large as I would want to go from a noise perspective. Recoil was great (browning x bolt hunter so it’s light weight), spotted shots at 600 yards.

Long story short, trying to get a 6.5/7PRC to provide similar noise and recoil like my 6.5cm does with the harvester 300

ElPollo

WKR
Most, almost all shots, at the range are shot with ear plugs when I’m shooting with the suppressor. However when hunting I almost never use ear pro, just the way it is.

So I’m looking for a can that will further reduce noise and recoil because I want to step up to something like the 6.5PRC or 7PRC for hunting purposes. But being recoil shy I would like the can to also reduce recoil more than my harvester if that’s possible.

Ear ringing was when I tested the 6.5 (24” barrel) with the can with out ear pro compared to a 270win (22” barrel) and a 7mm mag (26” barrel). 7 mag ears had slight tuning first shot, took one more shot to confirm and yup it’s loud so stopped shooting it. Then a different day did the same with the 270 and 6.5. No ear ringing with 6.5, slight ear ringing with the 270 after 2nd and 3rd shot. Then went back to using ear pro.

Ideally the 270 with 22” barrel is as large as I would want to go from a noise perspective. Recoil was great (browning x bolt hunter so it’s light weight), spotted shots at 600 yards.

Long story short, trying to get a 6.5/7PRC to provide similar noise and recoil like my 6.5cm does with the harvester 300

Not assuming whether or not this is something you already know. Ringing your ears is not temporary. The ringing itself may subside, but it’s permanent damage to your ears that is cumulative. Every time you do it, your hearing gets incrementally worse. I’ve done plenty of dumb things that I wish I could take back in my life. I have permanent and pretty severe tinnitus and high frequency hearing loss. A lot of that was from bird hunting where traditional ear protection isn’t an option. Now I use electronic in-the-ear protection while hunting that allows me to hear my hunting partners, where my dog is, and I can even hear quail calling several hundred yards away. Those plugs have an NRR of about 23 dB, which is good for shotguns and for suppressed rifles but won’t handle an unsuppressed magnum or anything with a brake.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My 300wsm with scope and all is ~9.5lb, I didn't notice the recoil with it using the Raptor 8 with 3" reflex in the bit of shooting I've done with it so far. So from a recoil perspective I think that can does well, I haven't had my kids shoot it yet.