ANOTHER Elk arrow setup question (I'm sorry)

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,
I’ve been coming to Roksilde for a long time for info, but a new member. So many of you have a VERY high level of knowledge, and are very generous with helping other, I love it!

Before I ask my question, I will say I’ve done a ton of searching for the answer already lol.

I’ve been shooting/fine tuning what I consider an Elk arrow for years, while hunting whitetails in the Midwest. Now that I’m finally heading west, I’m starting to second guess that I may need to make some changes, or a complete overhaul. My current setup is Easton Carbon Injection 330, 27.5” Firenok Aeroserts with a 125gr shuttle tee and four blazers vanes, total weight 480 gr.

They fly perfect and have worked flawless for me. The last two years I’ve shot two big bodied mature whitetails, hit them both in the dead center shoulder at 32 and 40 yards, almost a complete pass though. Also lodged a few in an Oak stump( under my target had to chisel them out lol) the ousters have never loosened up. But obviously, an Elk is a whole new ball game.

I like the idea of 4mm arrows for cutting the wind, but I'm thinking of ditching them
because of the outserts possibility of failing,
And switching to Easton Axis match grade 300, Iron Will 1” Impack collars IW 50gr Hit inserts and IW 125gr S head, should be about 520gr total. Possible 100BH the and using a Firenock, as long as I have my FOC high enough. I’m shooting Mathews VXR 31.5 27” at 70lbs hoping around 75lbs by season. Am I over thinking this, and should I stick with what’s been working?

Any input or info is greatly appreciated fellas!

Thank you

Hey guys,
I’ve been coming to Roksilde for a long time for info, but a new member. So many of you have a VERY high level of knowledge, and are very generous with helping other, I love it!

Before I ask my question, I will say I’ve done a ton of searching for the answer already lol.

I’ve been shooting/fine tuning what I consider an Elk arrow for years, while hunting whitetails in the Midwest. Now that I’m finally heading west, I’m starting to second guess that I may need to make some changes, or a complete overhaul. My current setup is Easton Carbon Injection 330, 27.5” Firenok Aeroserts with a 125gr shuttle tee and four blazers vanes, total weight 480 gr.

They fly perfect and have worked flawless for me. The last two years I’ve shot two big bodied mature whitetails, hit them both in the dead center shoulder at 32 and 40 yards, almost a complete pass though. Also lodged a few in an Oak stump( under my target had to chisel them out lol) the ousters have never loosened up. But obviously, an Elk is a whole new ball game.

I like the idea of 4mm arrows for cutting the wind, but I'm thinking of ditching them
And switching to Easton Axis match grade 300, Iron Will 1” Impack collars IW 50gr Hit inserts and IW 125gr S head, should be about 520gr total. Possible 100BH the and using a Firenock, as long as I have my FOC high enough. I’m shooting Mathews VXR 31.5 27” at 70lbs hoping around 75lbs by season. Am I over thinking this, and should I stick with what’s been working?

Thank you

You will be fine with your current set up or the one you are thinking about. I have a friend who has taken two musk ox with a 50 lb Mathews Ovation shooting with fingers 28” draw and about a 500 grain FMJ with a 3 blade Muzzy head. Both were pass throughs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
Your setup already sounds true. I wouldn’t change it if you’re shooting darts. Especially having to go through fine tuning and re sighting in your bow with new arrows.

on the other hand if you’re skeptical about your setup (which I wouldn’t be) you could drop down to a 300. But the 4mm shaft with a 4 fletch IMO might be overkill for wind control and could possibility end up parachuting your arrow at longer distancea, given you put an aggressive offset and helical on them.

All in all I’d just stick with your original setup!

TripleJ

WKR
Your current setup is more then adequate. You won’t have any problem killing an elk with that arrow/broadhead if you do your part and shoot them where you’re supposed to. If you want to spend some more money to switch to a different combination then do it that is your prerogative. Elk are tough but they’re not Cape buffalo.

I think your trying to find a problem. Your setup is fine.

But if you are itching to try something else go ahead. Several times I have talked myself into changing my setup a few weeks before a hunt.

And I wouldn't be worried about going to 75#. Your accuracy is liable to suffer more than you will gain, unless you feel like you could be shooting that poundage now without any reservations.

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Your setup already sounds true. I wouldn’t change it if you’re shooting darts. Especially having to go through fine tuning and re sighting in your bow with new arrows.

on the other hand if you’re skeptical about your setup (which I wouldn’t be) you could drop down to a 300. But the 4mm shaft with a 4 fletch IMO might be overkill for wind control and could possibility end up parachuting your arrow at longer distancea, given you put an aggressive offset and helical on them.

All in all I’d just stick with your original setup!

That's a really good point about them parachuting I've never really thought of it like that. I've played around with a handful of fletchings, trying to get my arrow a little quieter, but the blazers still preform the best. I'm going to play around with some flex fletch FFP 300, I'm going to give 3 a try.

Thanks for your input!

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Iron will also makes collars for injexion arrows, so there's no need to switch arrows if you don't want to.

But with their collars you have to run the deep six heads correct? My only concern with that was I trust Iron Will strength, but if I can't get them to fly I'll be stuck.

You’re overthinking it imho. How many bison were killed with a stick and stone head?
Archery is more about confidence in your ability and your setup than anything. If your lights out with your setup then run with it. The last thing you want to do is make a bad shot on a mature bull because your doubting yourself or setup.

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Your current setup is more then adequate. You won’t have any problem killing an elk with that arrow/broadhead if you do your part and shoot them where you’re supposed to. If you want to spend some more money to switch to a different combination then do it that is your prerogative. Elk are tough but they’re not Cape buffalo.

That's true, That's why I came up with this combo to start with. That being said playing around is fun, but it can be expensive! lol

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
You’re overthinking it imho. How many bison were killed with a stick and stone head?
Archery is more about confidence in your ability and your setup than anything. If your lights out with your setup then run with it. The last thing you want to do is make a bad shot on a mature bull because your doubting yourself or setup.

True.... very true! And that confidence in your setup is a huge thing for me!

But with their collars you have to run the deep six heads correct? My only concern with that was I trust Iron Will strength, but if I can't get them to fly I'll be stuck.
The collars and inserts are separate components, but you're mostly right in that using the collar on an injexion requires you to use a deep 6 insert, which does limit your options for broadheads and field points.

Iron Will is not the only deep 6 broadhead option.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Tim,
Yes there are other BH options with the deep six threads, What I meant to say is for Elk I don't think I would feel very confident in those smaller threads BH besides Iron Wills

There's not many 125 gr deep six options, that's a reasonable concern. In 100 gr you have Exodus and solid options, but you'd need to run the 50 gr iron will inserts to keep taw and foc the same.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Stick with your current arrow setup. If you want to fiddle, change only the broadhead. I think if you add a fourth fletch you will see a big difference in trajectory.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would never use 4 regular Blazer vanes.....that's way overkill. 3 Blazers will stabilize most any BH. If you want to try a 4-fletch I'd try lower profile vanes with that. I use 2" Quickspins in a 3-fletch and low profile 2.1" Q2i Fusion Xii vanes in a 4-fletch. Both setups impact very close to each other at most all distances. And your 4mm arrows will work just fine for elk. Just don't aim for the shoulder........ribs and lungs.

Beendare

WKR
"Parachuting"...Ha!........What.... on those slightly longer 150yd shots?

OP your existing arrow is fine. All that work for 40gr is a total waste of time IMO.

I'm not a fan of the Shuttle T's due to small size and crummy steel...but even those will work.

_______

traviswdalton

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys,

Thank you

If you like 4 fletch I would suggest gateway 2” rayzor feathers. I fletch them straight and let the natural curve of the feathers take care of the spin. It’ll also bump up your FOC if you’re wanting more FOC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jellymon

FNG
Practice with what you have. All the time spent changing arrow setups and resighting in could be spent practicing yardage estimation, verifying pin gap and tune and getting in shape, which is much more important than worrying about adding 30 grains to your already, IMO, perfectly sized arrow.

Guys make bad shots and want to find something to blame when in reality a heavier arrow wouldn't have penetrated any better in certain areas of the shoulder. Shot placement is king.