ANOTHER Elk arrow setup question (I'm sorry)

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
"Parachuting"...Ha!........What.... on those slightly longer 150yd shots?

OP your existing arrow is fine. All that work for 40gr is a total waste of time IMO.

I'm not a fan of the Shuttle T's due to small size and crummy steel...but even those will work.

_______
Ha yes parachuting. Too much helical and offset will cause the back half of the arrow to displace and push more air while the front half tries to keep up causing the back half of the arrow to “over spin” and create a parachuting effect. Remember all arrows are not perfectly straight so while in the air you’re going to have flex and small wobble which will only increase due to gravity and friction caused by an aggressive offset/helical. In a sense you are correct. It does take a while for the effect to happen mostly past 70 yards. That’s why I do suggest with a 4 fletch with a low profile vane and a low degree of offset/helical.

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I would never use 4 regular Blazer vanes.....that's way overkill. 3 Blazers will stabilize most any BH. If you want to try a 4-fletch I'd try lower profile vanes with that. I use 2" Quickspins in a 3-fletch and low profile 2.1" Q2i Fusion Xii vanes in a 4-fletch. Both setups impact very close to each other at most all distances. And your 4mm arrows will work just fine for elk. Just don't aim for the shoulder........ribs and lungs.

The reason I'm running the 4th blazer , after 50 yards and over my groups are just tighter with that 4th, but maybe that's just a tuning issue. I might have to give those Q2i I try, I've got some fletch flex FFP 300 on the way to play around with.

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
"Parachuting"...Ha!........What.... on those slightly longer 150yd shots?

OP your existing arrow is fine. All that work for 40gr is a total waste of time IMO.

I'm not a fan of the Shuttle T's due to small size and crummy steel...but even those will work.

_______

You have a good point! But hell.... I'm not set on adding 40gr, I can jump up 60gr lol.

I forgot to mention in my original post, I'm planning on trying some other heads, like you said about the steel, and they aren't very sharp. I'm still shooting the old silver one's, I got the last 8 packs of 125gr from trophy taker when they switched to the black ones for $15 a pack lol. I've been shooting them for 15 plus years, they have always done a really great job for me, but only on whitetail.

That being said I was going to try some slick tricks, or Iron Wills, That's where this whole thinking my setup started.

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Practice with what you have. All the time spent changing arrow setups and resighting in could be spent practicing yardage estimation, verifying pin gap and tune and getting in shape, which is much more important than worrying about adding 30 grains to your already, IMO, perfectly sized arrow.

Guys make bad shots and want to find something to blame when in reality a heavier arrow wouldn't have penetrated any better in certain areas of the shoulder. Shot placement is king.

Man that makes a ton of sense!!! I guess I like trying to have things as good as I possible can. But more quality practice instead of testing or working out is time better spent.

Thanks!

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Ha yes parachuting. Too much helical and offset will cause the back half of the arrow to displace and push more air while the front half tries to keep up causing the back half of the arrow to “over spin” and create a parachuting effect. Remember all arrows are not perfectly straight so while in the air you’re going to have flex and small wobble which will only increase due to gravity and friction caused by an aggressive offset/helical. In a sense you are correct. It does take a while for the effect to happen mostly past 70 yards. That’s why I do suggest with a 4 fletch with a low profile vane and a low degree of offset/helical.

WakePraySlay
That is some really good info, I didn't realize that.
What's a few of your favorite vanes? Over the last few years, I've played with quick spins, Easton BTV, Flex fletch SK 200, and some vanetec super spins 3". And the blazers at longer range still group the best, but I HATE how loud they are.

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate you guys taking the time.

I think I'll leave things as they are.
Or maybe like a few have said playing with my broad head and keeping everything else the same. Maybe try some Iron Will 150s a try, getting a little extra weight while keeping the rest of my setup the same.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
WakePraySlay
What's a few of your favorite vanes? Over the last few years, I've played with quick spins, Easton BTV, Flex fletch SK 200, and some vanetec super spins 3". And the blazers at longer range still group the best, but I HATE how loud they are.
I’ve used quick spin, vanetech, blazers, feathers and a few more brands. I’ve only shot 3 fletch and I do like the vanetech. Blazers and QS are pretty loud I would agree! BUT in about a week I am going to do a arrow build tutorial. It’ll be posted on here under the archery section. I am doing a 4 fletch with the AEE hybrid 23’s.
WakePraySlay
ive shot a lot of different vanes and even feathers. Seems I go to a new one every year. I do like the vanetech 2”. I would also agree the QS and blazers are pretty loud. BUT in about a week I’ll be posting an arrow build tutorial or how I do my arrows. It’ll be posted on the archery section as well as a few tricks and tips. I will be putting together a 4 fletch with AEE hybrid 23’s. They’re 2.3” long and only like .38” tall. Hope I like them. But be on the look out! Hope it all works out buddy!

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used quick spin, vanetech, blazers, feathers and a few more brands. I’ve only shot 3 fletch and I do like the vanetech. Blazers and QS are pretty loud I would agree! BUT in about a week I am going to do a arrow build tutorial. It’ll be posted on here under the archery section. I am doing a 4 fletch with the AEE hybrid 23’s.

ive shot a lot of different vanes and even feathers. Seems I go to a new one every year. I do like the vanetech 2”. I would also agree the QS and blazers are pretty loud. BUT in about a week I’ll be posting an arrow build tutorial or how I do my arrows. It’ll be posted on the archery section as well as a few tricks and tips. I will be putting together a 4 fletch with AEE hybrid 23’s. They’re 2.3” long and only like .38” tall. Hope I like them. But be on the look out! Hope it all works out buddy!

Oh awesome, I will be on the lookout for it!
Thank you, one way or the other it will. lol

Beendare

WKR
Ha yes parachuting. Too much helical and offset will cause the back half of the arrow to displace and push more air while the front half tries to keep up causing the back half of the arrow to “over spin” and create a parachuting effect. Remember all arrows are not perfectly straight so while in the air you’re going to have flex and small wobble which will only increase due to gravity and friction caused by an aggressive offset/helical.

In a sense you are correct. It does take a while for the effect to happen mostly past 70 yards. That’s why I do suggest with a 4 fletch with a low profile vane and a low degree of offset/helical.

OK ,I see where you are going with this.....and yeah it makes sense on very long shots.

My take; A little more fletch doesn't hurt a bowhunter all that much.

Short shots on average.

The additional fletch only helps to stabilize faster on hunting shots in the field we are taking on uneven ground with the potential of a minor form flaw in the woods under duress ...and with BH's.

A drastic example of this is the stick bow guys that use big feather fletch- helps stabilize a BH hunting arrow quicker...but to your point, at really long range those arrows just die.

______

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm still shooting the old silver one's, I got the last 8 packs of 125gr from trophy taker when they switched to the black ones for $15 a pack lol. I've been shooting them for 15 plus years, they have always done a really great job for me, but only on whitetail.

All my 125gr Shuttle T's are from Tightpoint before TT bought them. Those are much better than the black ones or their newer ones........as long as you know how to sharpen them. They are one of the best flying long range heads I've tried........unless you're shooting in a strong crosswind.

WakePraySlay

Lil-Rokslider
OK ,I see where you are going with this.....and yeah it makes sense on very long shots.

My take; A little more fletch doesn't hurt a bowhunter all that much.

Short shots on average.

The additional fletch only helps to stabilize faster on hunting shots in the field we are taking on uneven ground with the potential of a minor form flaw in the woods under duress ...and with BH's.

A drastic example of this is the stick bow guys that use big feather fletch- helps stabilize a BH hunting arrow quicker...but to your point, at really long range those arrows just die.

______
I agree with you on most. But I’m really not here to make enemies. Just giving people my 2 cents. Broadheads for sure with a 4 fletch will help stabilize the arrow better you’re correct and I agree. But when it comes to uneven ground that’s when your sight axis comes into play. I have a tool that levels the 1st,2nd, and 3rd axis for my sight. Uneven ground would come into play with those, that’s where the sight housing bubble level comes into effect given you’ve adjusted and leveled all those axis to to work with eachother and not against them.

like I said this is my opinion and I’m here to help and not make enemies. :)

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
All my 125gr Shuttle T's are from Tightpoint before TT bought them. Those are much better than the black ones or their newer ones........as long as you know how to sharpen them. They are one of the best flying long range heads I've tried........unless you're shooting in a strong crosswind.

You do have some old one's, I started shooting them when they first came out. And like you said, I've yet to find a better flying head.
That's good to know about the black ones, I assumed they were better, but knowing that when I use mine up I'll surely be switching.