Any wool pant recommendations?

That sucks. I think mine took about 2 weeks to get to my house after I ordered them. So far they seem like they care and want to make sure my next pair fits the way they should, but I haven’t heard anything from them in a couple days. And they still haven’t mentioned anything about return shipping.

So Micklagard told me I was on my own on the shipping and to get a quote from USPS. I just sent them back from OK for $45. They said it would take 3-4 weeks to get there. So if everything goes right I’ll get my new pants back the day after deer season closes. Hope yours fit.

So Micklagard told me I was on my own on the shipping and to get a quote from USPS. I just sent them back from OK for $45. They said it would take 3-4 weeks to get there. So if everything goes right I’ll get my new pants back the day after deer season closes. Hope yours fit.
Pretty much mirroring my experience. Took forever to get a reply back and get a quote from usps. We'll see if they honer the sale price on the new/exchange pair.

fwafwow

WKR
Micklagaard wrote me back and asked me to measure my thigh to determine about what size to choose next. They haven’t mentioned anything about return shipping yet. To be continued.

So it’s safe to say that these are not like wearing a square bag on each leg. I’ve got an athletic build but I’m definitely not bottom heavy.
I got my Micklagaard pants (Hamra Pro Adjustable). I had the same initial reaction as you - they seem great, but they don't fit. I'm so disappointed. They are OK in the waist - although tight enough that I can't possibly wear anything but boxers beneath them. The "adjustable" part of the waist doesn't make much difference. The real problem is how tight they are around the hips and thighs, and I am in no way a weight lifter (quite the opposite).

More to follow, but if you can share any insight as to how your issue is progressing, I would appreciate it.

EDIT - Ivan at Micklagaard was very quick to reply, and we have worked out a very good resolution. MOST IMPORTANTLY, I believe that the error was my fault. I chose my size based on my "waist" measurement - 38" around my hips like I do with US pants - but neglected to scroll down on the Micklagaard website and see the video that explained I was supposed to measure my waist around my belly button. Well, I currently am "running" quite the muffin top, and the measurement around my belly is a sweet 5" more than the measurement around my hip bones. That means the size I ordered - 52 - was off by a lot.

Last edited:
I got my Micklagaard pants (Hamra Pro Adjustable). I had the same initial reaction as you - they seem great, but they don't fit. I'm so disappointed. And pis$ed. They are OK in the waist - although tight enough that I can't possibly wear anything but boxers beneath them. The "adjustable" part of the waist doesn't make much difference. The real problem is how tight they are around the hips and thighs, and I am in no way a weight lifter (quite the opposite).

More to follow, but if you can share any insight as to how your issue is progressing, I would appreciate it.

The hand-written note in the package was nice, and of course they asked to be tagged in social media. I'm not sure they want to be tagged by me, at least currently.
Man that sucks. When we were emailing back n forth about what size I should exchange mine for they gave me some thigh measurements of the next size up and I chose those, fingers crossed. There’s a few pics on their website of what I’m guessing is their family wearing the wool pants. I was speaking to Ivan, and told him if that was him in the pic or knew any of the people see how much room they (or him) have in the thigh because I’d like mine to fit like that. His response was “they don’t have muscular thighs”. So apparently everyone in every picture on their site is bird legged as hell if their waist fits right and they got that much room in the legs.

As far as how it’s going for me, I sent mine back a week or so ago, sent Ivan the tracking# and usps told me it’d be 3-4 weeks for it to get there. I haven’t even checked to see where it’s at.

But on a positive note. I called Asbell wool, the lady that makes the stuff answered the phone (Teresa Asbell)
I ordered the little delta plaid Jacket and it fits great and I love it. End of story.

fwafwow

WKR
My failures on Micklagaard and Big Bill may save someone else the same hassles.

Micklagaard. These pants are about perfect - except they are tight. Bizarrely tight (and as I've edited above - due to my fault). Length is great, and even though hunting isn't a fashion show, I like the narrowing of the ankle. (And because a really wide leg lets in cold air.) I have also included a picture of the liner (per request of @doc holiday13). If you are interested in these pants, be sure to watch the video about how to measure yourself.

IMG_1132.jpeg

I will have to return these due to my mistake.

Big Bill. I also got these today, but they will also have to go back. I also ordered 38" waist (which is fine in these pants) and 31" inseam (the shortest!). So these are the opposite of the Micklagaards - waist seems fine, the pants are way too long, and the seat looks like it was built for someone who never leaves the couch. (And boxy - just as warned by @Formidilosus.) Even my wife commented - "you look like you weigh 500 pounds. I know they are 'just' hunting pants, but you look horrible and your other hunting stuff all looks normal." Even though I don't care so much how I look, the pants are too long and the legs are too wide - and I expect would let in lots of cold air. I got them tailored for length, but not to make the leg openings more narrow.
IMG_1127.jpegIMG_0300.jpeg

Last edited:
I can't comment on the first pair but the big bill pants are what we have always worn. Woolrich were identical. The length is usually set by cutting and sewing the hem as needed. You wear them with long underwear. They may be boxy but maintain a layer of warm air between the wool pants and the underwear. I hunt days at a time below zero and very comfortable just like all the hunters and timber fallers before me. I would be very reluctant to wear tight fitting wool pant and expect them to keep me warm.

mjh

FNG
ALL the pants I buy need to have the legs hemmed to proper length. I just took a pair of Codets and Big Bills to the seamstress. To me it's just normal. I've the problem of gaining too much weight these last 10 years, but I've got King of the Mountain the local sellers spouse did the shortening work for me, Filson, Day One--those I had cut correctly as I ordered them, LL Bean, still have one surplus pair from somewhere in the world- a brown wool. If I gain more weight it's gonna cost me in more ways than one. If I loose weight I'm covered for lots of clothing.

I'm working on it, did at least an hour of cardio today and some light weights. Gotta move every day.

I like a little loose fit for underlayers and trapped air. The old Swedish surplus wool pants never worked for me with the tapered and buckled legs, the German surplus worked great. I had seen the Micklagaard--glad I didn't spring for them.

fwafwow

WKR
I can't comment on the first pair but the big bill pants are what we have always worn. Woolrich were identical. The length is usually set by cutting and sewing the hem as needed. You wear them with long underwear. They may be boxy but maintain a layer of warm air between the wool pants and the underwear. I hunt days at a time below zero and very comfortable just like all the hunters and timber fallers before me. I would be very reluctant to wear tight fitting wool pant and expect them to keep me warm.
ALL the pants I buy need to have the legs hemmed to proper length. I just took a pair of Codets and Big Bills to the seamstress. To me it's just normal. I've the problem of gaining too much weight these last 10 years, but I've got King of the Mountain the local sellers spouse did the shortening work for me, Filson, Day One--those I had cut correctly as I ordered them, LL Bean, still have one surplus pair from somewhere in the world- a brown wool. If I gain more weight it's gonna cost me in more ways than one. If I loose weight I'm covered for lots of clothing.

I'm working on it, did at least an hour of cardio today and some light weights. Gotta move every day.

I like a little loose fit for underlayers and trapped air. The old Swedish surplus wool pants never worked for me with the tapered and buckled legs, the German surplus worked great. I had seen the Micklagaard--glad I didn't spring for them.
Good points. Returning the (the Big Bill pair) would be a bit of a hassle, and I got them for a pretty good discount. I will take them to a seamstress today and see if she can make some changes. I am also reluctant to wear tight fitting pants. The Micklagaards are supposed to (from the pictures on their website) fit as loose at the top of the leg as they fit below my knee in the above picture.

Thanks for the encouragement to get less fat. I need it.

fwafwow

WKR
Do you wear suspenders with yours? I’m thinking of doing so.

Thanks everyone for the great recommendations

Looking for a midweight pair for layering with long johns and rain pants if it's really soggy for hiking/camping/backpacking in north central Idaho during the winter. Down the road may use for predator hunting as well as I learn. Wouldn't mind if they were casual enough to wear to the office occasionally and need pockets that are baggy enough to conceal carry in
You end up picking a pair of wool pants? Curious if you did and if you’re happy with them.

I have been kinda considering a pair for similar reasons, winter lion calling and wearing under rain gear in the fall or winter when it’s cold and rain, and I plan on being stationary

I’m really interested in the origin stealth wool pants, I got the jacket and love it, and the same material layout with pants would be perfect wool pants for what I want. My only hang up is the sizing, I have the medium jacket and it’s a smallish medium, which is fine for my use, but I am a 31 waist but 34” inseam, so I don’t have much confidence in any standard size fitting me, but if I wasn’t shaped so mutant like, I would have bought them already

Emailed them and the answer I got is I can return them if they don’t fit, so I’ll probably wait awhile and email them after the busy holiday season in hopes someone can give me some dimensions. If the medium aren’t a long inseam, I will probably try large based on the jacket size… seemingly cool option for a reasonable price. Traditional feeling wool exterior and soft merino fleece interior, blocks the elements well and is a mid weight material… much heavier than something like the obsidians, but not super heavy… about perfect for chilly weather covering country

Fwafwow, I wear spenders I got from a loggers supply. They are heavy duty and are easily adjusted. I have worn size 38 since I was 12. At one time I was size 36 but have shrunk to 35. I have worn them at -20 and in pouring rain. I'm always warm and dry. I get 10-20 years per big bill or woolrich pants. The weakest link for a cowboy is the crotch and butt. I have sewed the crotch back together on a few and sewed enough patches to extend the life 5-8 years.

They never get too hot or cold and sit on saddles and logs in snowbanks nearly every day of the season.

Same hunting uniform since 1963.

fwafwow

WKR
Sorry to the OP for continuing to hijack this thread. I will be cleaning up my posts above when in front of a computer, and may do a separate thread. Micklagaard has been great in communicating and coming up with a solution, and the sizing mistake was mine. I also had the Big Bills hemmed, and ordered the Sarma TSTs, so I will be able to compare all three.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I received my Sarma TSTs and they are pretty good.

Take to a seamstress, or get them modified. Remove cargo pockets, install side hip zip vent. Cut pockets in half, and resew on front of thighs.

Those mods make them way better.

fwafwow

WKR
Take to a seamstress, or get them modified. Remove cargo pockets, install side hip zip vent. Cut pockets in half, and resew on front of thighs.

Those mods make them way better.
Thanks for this detail. I had not focused on the cargo pockets being on the sides of my thighs, but putting them on the front would make them much more accessible when sitting. Do you mean to cut them in half to make them less deep, or vertically to make them more narrow?

The Micklagaards I have coming have the cargo pocket on the front, and side hip vents. I may wait on those to see what I think, but at the moment I'm "long" on heavy wool pants.

In case anyone else is interested, here are some more thoughts on the Sarmas and Big Bills:

Sarma TSTs:
  • Positives -
    • great fit, including some wiggle room in that the waist has some velcro adjustment straps
    • narrow (in a good way) ankles by default (in comparison to the Big Bill pants) plus another set of velcro adjustment straps, which I've really grown to like from my Fjallraven pants
    • the reinforced areas are not as noisy as I expected, but obviously noisier than wool
  • Negatives
    • the color choices are pretty limited
    • the cargo pockets have an unusual combo of a button and velcro, so opening those pockets could be noisy (but makes for a more secure pocket)
  • Neutral - the wool is lighter weight than the Micks or Big Bills. IIRC it is ~11.8oz/yd for these compared to 18oz/yd for BB and almost 25oz/yd for Micks.
Big Bills

I had these hemmed, but I think I need a better tailor/seamstress. The width of the ankles is still crazy (as warned) and will just allow cold air to enter. I asked the tailor about taking those in and he said it would run another $50, so I passed. Maybe I will go back or just wear them around camp, but as of now they aren't as good as they could be.

I have worn the woolrich twins to big bills since the 60s. With long underware under them you never notice any cold air coming up the legs even at -20. As I was growing up a common wool pants were the swedish army surplus out of our army navy surplus stores. I always thought they were kind of light as were the Filson woolies. I recently was gifted a pair from a USFS uniform that I will likely never wear.

The woolrich / Big Bill wool pants were the staple of the logging industry I grew up with. The bigger legs were less constrictive than jeans and you could cover more country comfortably. If you aren't in snow the lighter wool pants may fit your needs better.