$1000 Glass-Off

Looking at glass, around the $1000 price range, as everything I've tested below that isn't that much better than my 70's Zeiss pair that were my old man's!

Looking at:

Nikon Monarch HD
Maven B 2
Leopold BX-5
Zeiss Conquest
Swarovski EL / SLC

I've listed them in order of cost.
Generally everyone's feedback is you get what you pay for with glass, so just buy up!
Truth is the Swarovski are creeping out of budget but I just tried pair of Swarovski NL PURE at a local shop and they are clearer than looking though my own eyes!! (Scratches on my dominant eye lense). Incredible. $2.5k + isn't going to be in the budget any time soon though, if ever.

So around a grand, what are your experiences fellas, of quality of glass, functionality and durability?

Last edited:

crich

WKR
I settled on refurb Monarch HGs for the overall win. Very light, great ergos, light transmission is good as well as edge to edge clarity. I got a pair of Kowa 10x42 on sale from cameraland for 999 but ultimately sent them back because I wanted to save the weight. They're a but bulky but damn they were amazing. Probably should've kept them.

#noregerts

I bought a pair of leupold bx4 10x42 to hold me until I could really scratch the optics itch. I’ve used alpha glass and the bx4s are really good to my eyes. Especially for under 450.

OP
Anglo-American
I settled on refurb Monarch HGs for the overall win. Very light, great ergos, light transmission is good as well as edge to edge clarity. I got a pair of Kowa 10x42 on sale from cameraland for 999 but ultimately sent them back because I wanted to save the weight. They're a but bulky but damn they were amazing. Probably should've kept them.

#noregerts
Interesting, I've seen a couple of positive comments on here about Kowa, but I didn't know about the company before that.

Other than the weight, were the Kowa better than the Monarch HG's for you?
Clearer image?
Better light gathering?
Better for eye fatigue?

My view on weight is this, I try not to buy heavy stuff, but ultimately the weight is the weight. I've tried to be the ultimate weight weeny with mountain marathon running and it works until it doesn't, usually due to gear failure. So lightweight gear ultimately just failed as it wasn't tough enough.
So I run less, and lift more and don't worry about what I can't change.

OP
Anglo-American
I bought a pair of leupold bx4 10x42 to hold me until I could really scratch the optics itch. I’ve used alpha glass and the bx4s are really good to my eyes. Especially for under 450.
Obviously I was joking saying under $700-$1000 glass was no better than my 1960/70's Zeiss.

But, eye fatigue does set in quite quick for me with the $500 and less glass I've tried.
I have not had a chance to try any Leopold however.
My right eye is my dominant eye but due messing about in my youth I have some scratches on the lense. Not an issue generally but I seem to get eye fatigue really quick with cheap glass in my non dominant eye and it's an issue. I think it's effecting the way my eyes are compensating around the problem.

Obviously I was joking saying under $700-$1000 glass was no better than my 1960/70's Zeiss.

But, eye fatigue does set in quite quick for me with the $500 and less glass I've tried.
I have not had a chance to try any Leopold however.
My right eye is my dominant eye but due messing about in my youth I have some scratches on the lense. Not an issue generally but I seem to get eye fatigue really quick with cheap glass in my non dominant eye and it's an issue. I think it's effecting the way my eyes are compensating around the problem.

I’ll have more time with these in a few weeks. I’ve used them around home, but not on a goal oriented glassing session, we’ll see!

MThuntr

WKR
I have a pair of Nikon HGs...got them after a smoking deal through stacking coupons via Active Junky and an LL Bean coupon. I want to say my price was just around $600 (maybe a touch less but I want to say they started out around 799 which is way less than what I see current prices are at). The price beat out ultra premium. I couldn't justify the extra $700 for Swaros for minimal benefit. The weight savings is awesome and in my AGC KISS it's almost like there is nothing inside. I don't know what a pair of Swaros looks like but I know my Nikons beat the Zeiss Conquest to my eyes and again weigh less.

Kowa and Meopta are high on my list. The Meoptas are supposed to be better than Nikons and very close to Swaros but for less $

fatlander

WKR
Not being a Debbie Downer but, where are you finding SLC's for $1,000?

Online. £1430 for 8x42. New.
The Swarovski were blowing the budget, unless finding something second hand.

Finding new SLC 8’s or 10’s is getting really tough anymore. Even used ones that were the latest variation aren’t dipping under 1350 second hand, and they’re going quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Anglo-American
I have a pair of Nikon HGs...got them after a smoking deal through stacking coupons via Active Junky and an LL Bean coupon. I want to say my price was just around $600 (maybe a touch less but I want to say they started out around 799 which is way less than what I see current prices are at). The price beat out ultra premium. I couldn't justify the extra $700 for Swaros for minimal benefit. The weight savings is awesome and in my AGC KISS it's almost like there is nothing inside. I don't know what a pair of Swaros looks like but I know my Nikons beat the Zeiss Conquest to my eyes and again weigh less.

Kowa and Meopta are high on my list. The Meoptas are supposed to be better than Nikons and very close to Swaros but for less $
Second recommendation for Meoptas.

OP
Anglo-American
Finding new SLC 8’s or 10’s is getting really tough anymore. Even used ones that were the latest variation aren’t dipping under 1350 second hand, and they’re going quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Difference between the US and UK, I'd assume.
Not loads of options here, but some.
Mainly European and some Japanese brands
Very little options for 2nd hand American brands like Maven and Leopold.

Blue72

WKR
Nikon….plus whenever I resell optics the Nikon’s sell the same day

I just sold a Nikon ED50 the other day in less then 45 minutes after listing it. With plenty of back up offers

I’ve had several different high end glass to look through. I currently have a set of Leica Trinovid 10x42 BA that I like very much. They are an early 2000s model. You can get them second hand (of course) for around the 600 dollar range.
At one time I owned a set of Cabelas Euro HD’s (meopta meostars) that I would put up their just as high as my Leica’s they had a tripod mounting screw on them so they could have been mounted as well if that’s something. You’re interested in. I’ve also used some Leupold Gold Ring HD that I liked really well.

if it were me I’d look heavily into the Meopta Meostars. They punch well above their price point. When I get the chance I’m going to buy some 10x42s and retire my Leica’s ( my dad gave them to me)

OP
Anglo-American
OP
Anglo-American
Have you looked at the Vortex Razor HD 10x42?
I've decided to avoid, Vortex.
Two reasons;
- I don't respond well to advising and they advertise everywhere!
- Alot of people post and comment about having faults with their different model vortex.

Now tbf to Vortex they sell alot of units, so some of those product returns are just due to that and not JUST a higher percentage of problems.
And, every single person, EVERYONE always adds that they were 100% looked after by Vortex regardless of the issue, even in cases that Vortex were not responsible for. So they offer really, really great customer care.

But, I don't want really good after care to look after problems. I just don't want the problems.
Build it right, build it once.

DrewskiMT

FNG
I like my Conquests in 8x32 more than my Nikon HG in 8x42. But you cannot go wrong with either, and both will resale just fine. I avoided Kowa and Meopta due to heavy weights. The new Opticron Aurora are supposed to be as good as the aforementioned binos, and retail in the UK for 800 pounds, $1000 USD. The FOV on the Nikon 10x42 HG is really nice and wide too. I come from both a birding and hunting background and the most widely recommended binos for purchase sight unseen/ untested that work well for "Most" users are the 8x32 Conquest and the Nikon Monarch HGs for eye placement, eye relief for glasses and facial structure, and very high quality optics. Cant go wrong!