11.5 vs 12.5 "Recce"

Well I impulse bought a Griffin Recce 5 suppressor.
My old Daniel Defense 16" barrel is smoked. But Daniel said they'll replace the barrel for me. So I'm planning on asking for a shorter barrel then using my SBR lower.

I don't really need a "CQB" gun as I've got two SBRs. I don't really want a DMR/SPR. But something for a sorta compact truck hunting/ walking gun and something accurate my kids can work on their tripod shooting for cheap. Something for coyotes gophers and we can shoot deer with 22 cals.

I think this suppressor is 6" so I'm trying to keep the overall length short I can't decide. Obviously 10.3 is too short for this task.

I guess what's the velocity difference in an inch? I've basically watched every YouTube movie on the subject and it didn't help much. But I'm leaning towards the 12.5. I didn't really want a K can because they seem to be pretty loud.

Anyone have any experience or builds to show off?

Haha it's funny but these sort of internal debates distract me from the stresses of life

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Well I impulse bought a Griffin Recce 5 suppressor.
My old Daniel Defense 16" barrel is smoked. But Daniel said they'll replace the barrel for me. So I'm planning on asking for a shorter barrel then using my SBR lower.

I don't really need a "CQB" gun as I've got two SBRs. I don't really want a DMR/SPR. But something for a sorta compact truck hunting/ walking gun and something accurate my kids can work on their tripod shooting for cheap. Something for coyotes gophers and we can shoot deer with 22 cals.

I think this suppressor is 6" so I'm trying to keep the overall length short I can't decide. Obviously 10.3 is too short for this task.

I guess what's the velocity difference in an inch? I've basically watched every YouTube movie on the subject and it didn't help much. But I'm leaning towards the 12.5. I didn't really want a K can because they seem to be pretty loud.

Anyone have any experience or builds to show off?

Haha it's funny but these sort of internal debates distract me from the stresses of life

The largest difference is the ability to use a medium gas length barrel on a 12.5”. I have worn out dozens of 10.3”, 11.5”, and 12.5” mid-gas and carbine-gas barrels. The 12.5” mid gas is the way for a general purpose short field gun. When gassed properly the mid gas 12.5” shoots softer with less recoil and muzzle rise, less gas to face with a suppressor, and can be more reliable.

Properly gassed 11.5’s are good as well, but overall the shooting is better with good 12.5’s.

eric1115

WKR
The largest difference is the ability to use a medium gas length barrel on a 12.5”. I have worn out dozens of 10.3”, 11.5”, and 12.5” mid-gas and carbine-gas barrels. The 12.5” mid gas is the way for a general purpose short field gun. When gassed properly the mid gas 12.5” shoots softer with less recoil and muzzle rise, less gas to face with a suppressor, and can be more reliable.

Properly gassed 11.5’s are good as well, but overall the shooting is better with good 12.5’s.
This is expert advice, and the real issue. Velocity difference is a non issue between 11.5 and 12.5, but gassing is a substantial difference.

RussDXT

WKR

Not a lot of options for a 12.5 middy. Is the Aero chf barrel the way to go? Would you recommend a sa agb?

Avonac

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a lot of rounds with all three lengths. The most noticeable difference is going to come from something longer than carbine gas. 12.5 was my favorite

They were both pretty high, around the 9500/10k. Using a mix of 556 ammo between 62GT and 77OTM. With and without a can.

I was 50yds and in 85% of the time and under 100yds 95% of the time.

I would check my zero (50/200) at the beginning of each month.

Bigwilly556

Lil-Rokslider
Put together a 12.5 criterion core barrel couple of years ago. Liked it so much I just did another. They only have carbine gas and I don't like adjustable gas blocks as it brings yet another failure point into the system. I run a surefire RCII and mini on them with springco blue and H2 buffer. Ejects 1-2 o'clock with a mild load of AR comp and 75 bthp at 2540 fps. 12.5 seems like the sweet spot to me.

-Midwest industries 11.5 combat handguard.
-12.5 criterion core.
-Razor 1-6
-Surefire RCII

GPR rifle used for truck gun, coyotes and whatever else I may need it for. 100 yard target with 75bthp and a Razor 1-6.Compress_20240413_113501_1451.jpgCompress_20240413_114403_3233.jpg