2023 Colorado Secondary Draw Results

Hnthrdr

WKR
Serious question for those in the "kids should get full preference in the 2nd draw because we need more kids out hunting" camp. Why not then, give them full preference in the initial draw? Let them draw first, then us adults get our own draw after the kids have grabbed up whatever they want? Or, are we only cool with giving them preference on what is, let's be honest, a few good tags from reissue and a bunch of tags nobody wanted to spend points on. I'm not being facetious either, seriously wondering what people think.

I have drawn in the 2nd draw. Albeit a tag that isn't "special" by any means. What really gets me, and others by reading this thread, is when I miss out on a first choice that would have taken my points and then it shows back up on the 2nd draw. I understand the process and rules, but it is still annoying.

What we could do if we want youth preference in the second draw is run the youth 1st choices through. Then adult first choices. If any left, youth 2nd choice, adult 2nd choice, and so on.
I’ve always thought they should set aside youth only tags in the primary draw especially for the big units, that in reality are becoming near impossible to draw. Heck 5-10 youth tags every of units would take care of Most our youth hunters in the 4-5 years that they are considered “youth”

Hnthrdr

WKR
Youth do have preference to some cow and doe deer/pronghorn tags in primary draw.
I know that but give the kids a handful of buck and bull tags until they are 17 and let them have a ball. Not saying doe and cow tags are nothing but you want a kid really hooked let them hunt 201 first rifle

KsRancher

WKR
Serious question for those in the "kids should get full preference in the 2nd draw because we need more kids out hunting" camp. Why not then, give them full preference in the initial draw? Let them draw first, then us adults get our own draw after the kids have grabbed up whatever they want? Or, are we only cool with giving them preference on what is, let's be honest, a few good tags from reissue and a bunch of tags nobody wanted to spend points on. I'm not being facetious either, seriously wondering what people think.

I have drawn in the 2nd draw. Albeit a tag that isn't "special" by any means. What really gets me, and others by reading this thread, is when I miss out on a first choice that would have taken my points and then it shows back up on the 2nd draw. I understand the process and rules, but it is still annoying.

What we could do if we want youth preference in the second draw is run the youth 1st choices through. Then adult first choices. If any left, youth 2nd choice, adult 2nd choice, and so on.
For the secondary draw I could get on board with going thru the 1st choice for youth and then 1st choice for adults. Repeat for 2nd-4th choices.

But I also think that needs done in the primary draw for residents and nonresidents. Go thru 1st choice for residents and when they are all used up or meet the resident quota of 80% (or whatever it is) then move on to nonresidents. If only enough residents applied for 1st choice that it gave them 50% of the tags and enough nonresidents applied 1st choice then they would get the other 50%.

ToolMann

WKR
I thought there is allocated youth for each hunt code. An assumption from seeing the youth columns in the results.
I think there is (although not positive), but not what I was getting at. I meant full preference, as in all youth were drawn first, then it moved to adult draw for whatever was left. I'm not suggesting we do it that way, but was asking how those support the current 2nd choice methodology in Colorado feel about it.

KsRancher

WKR
I think there is (although not positive), but not what I was getting at. I meant full preference, as in all youth were drawn first, then it moved to adult draw for whatever was left. I'm not suggesting we do it that way, but was asking how those support the current 2nd choice methodology in Colorado feel about it.
I don't like it. I would fine with a certain percentage of the primary draw tags set aside for youth (like mentioned above). But not 100% youth preference in the primary

^^^This.

Its literally like a lottery and they don't have to pay out hardly anything real and they get to pocket a ton of cash. What's not to love. What a great business model lmao.

Ddubs20

FNG
And i dont see a way to fix CPW, because even if all the residents woke up to these facts and stopped buying tags they would have no problem selling all the tags to non-residents for even more money.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
I know that but give the kids a handful of buck and bull tags until they are 17 and let them have a ball. Not saying doe and cow tags are nothing but you want a kid really hooked let them hunt 201 first rifle
Not sure why kids have to shoot a monster animal to get hooked. There should be some level of struggle and ladder climbing.

As a youth most of my early hunts were memorable.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Not sure why kids have to shoot a monster animal to get hooked. There should be some level of struggle and ladder climbing.

As a youth most of my early hunts were memorable.
All I’m saying is give them preference in their own draw, should not need to give them preference in the second if the state allocated tags for youth from a separate pile. Yes all of my first hunts were memorable as well