2024 Idaho General Draw! 10 days until the MADNESS!

It's awesome for deer, though, because we residents can pick them up as 2nd tags and hunt them without the unit-specific limits.
That’s total kickassness.
My calculations indicate that in the long run, it might be cheaper and less brain damage to just buy a residency, as opposed to trying to buy these otc tags.

CorbLand

WKR
I dont see it going that way at all as far as the draw is concerned what are the odds to get a deer tag in montana? Buy a couple preference points and good odds you draw. Idaho would be no different sure some of the better areas will have lower draw odds. But that's the risk you take.

the current method sucks Outfitters buying lots of tags. people flying in to get tags. A normal draw would absolutely put everyone on the same playing field and would take everyone that wants a otc tag out of the equation for the limited quota tags I am trying for haha
A - Idaho doesnt have a points system, so there is no buy a couple points to get good odds...you start at 0 every year.

B - I can agree on the Outfitter part but that will not be fixed with a draw. Those outfitters will just encourage people to apply in the draw.

C - If enough people are willing to fly in that it screws up the odds...how many can log on and click a couple buttons?

D - That is exactly how it will go. Wait for the draw to happen and this thread changes to "we need a point system" thread.

I agree that there could be changes but going to a draw is not it. You want to say that they shouldnt allow people to buy tags for others...now that is something I can get behind.

Last edited:

Archer86

WKR
A - Idaho doesnt have a points system, so there is no buy a couple points to get good odds...you start at 0 every year.

B - I can agree on the Outfitter part but that will not be fixed with a draw.

C - If enough people are willing to fly in that it screws up the odds...how many can log on and click a couple buttons?

D - That is exactly how it will go. Wait for the draw to happen and this thread changes to "we need a point system thread."

I agree that there could be changes but going to a draw is not it.
Well aware that Idaho doesn't have a point system I was just pointing out that going to a draw isn't going to hurt odds that much. If it all

I am not sure its so much people flying in I am willing to bet its more guys driving into get tags from Oregon washington and Utah nothing against them I would do it also. If I lived in those states

I hope that no one pushes for points random works well i have benefitted from it a couple times.

But if Idaho keeps the non refundable license and application fee so 200 to enter the draw it will keep some from applying knowing they are gambling 200 for the chance at a tag

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got tag after being in line. Observation in line, a very high percentage are guys 55+ and a lot of grey hair. Was talking to the guy behind me and he commented the same. I predict a decade from now a downturn on numbers due to this.

CorbLand

WKR
Well aware that Idaho doesn't have a point system I was just pointing out that going to a draw isn't going to hurt odds that much. If it all

I am not sure its so much people flying in I am willing to bet its more guys driving into get tags from Oregon washington and Utah nothing against them I would do it also. If I lived in those states

I hope that no one pushes for points random works well i have benefitted from it a couple times.

But if Idaho keeps the non refundable license and application fee so 200 to enter the draw it will keep some from applying knowing they are gambling 200 for the chance at a tag
There are plenty of people that do not even try to get tags because of the current system being a "cluster." You take it to a draw and more people will try. I live 15 minutes from the border and I can tell you at least 6 people that dont even try but would if it was a draw. Driving, flying it doesnt really matter how they get there. The bottom line is a draw would make it even easier and less time/money for people to apply.

You take it to a draw and people will push for points. They already do with the current draw that Idaho does.

People will pay the 200 bucks for a chance. People do it all the time in other states.

Like I said, I will not disagree that changes need to be made but people need to stop thinking that taking everything to a draw is the answer for everything.

Last edited:

KHNC

WKR
Are there 40k elk living in Idaho nowadays? I heard wolves ate 2.2M of them already.

KHNC

WKR
Got tag after being in line. Observation in line, a very high percentage are guys 55+ and a lot of grey hair. Was talking to the guy behind me and he commented the same. I predict a decade from now a downturn on numbers due to this.
You gonna stop hunting at 65 then? :D

@KHNC that puts me at 70 would likely be done with elk sadly ….let’s just say fitness was not high on the vast percentage of people in line, and combined with age they are not hurting many elk 🤣
That is my go to logic for low percentage units. I am 57 but I am willing to put in the work. In these tough lower percentage units like the Middle Fork I am hoping to increase my odds by putting in the time and miles on my feet.

KHNC

WKR
@KHNC that puts me at 70 would likely be done with elk sadly ….let’s just say fitness was not high on the vast percentage of people in line, and combined with age they are not hurting many elk 🤣
Elk population should see a nice rebound then. LOL