.204 insert and collar systems

iwinters

FNG
Hey guys, I’m new around here, I usually lurk and read forums for more information but it’s my turn to ask some questions.

I got an SR350 this off-season and have been shooting it with some arrows set up for 3D shoots. With my other bow I’ve only used .166 diameter arrows for hunting but I’d like to switch to .204 for my new bow considering I went up .5” in draw length for the new one.

I think I’m dead set on running Rip Tkos with a 10gr wrap and TAC driver 2.25 vanes. Any recommendations for an insert system with a collar that won’t break the bank? I got short arms so I’d like to keep total arrow weight sub 470gr to keep my speed above 280ish.

Thank you guys in advance!

Bump79

WKR
I'd recommend a HIT system. I actually just listed some collars that might work for you - I've got some standard aluminum HIT inserts & brass HIT's as well. PM me if you're interested.

nphunter

WKR
A RIP TKO with a 50gr insert and 25gr collar should get you right at your desired weight, you can get the 10gr collars as well. I'm shooting a 26.75" arrow with 100gr inserts and 10gr collars and my arrows are 488gr with a 100gr point.

OP
I

iwinters

FNG
A RIP TKO with a 50gr insert and 25gr collar should get you right at your desired weight, you can get the 10gr collars as well. I'm shooting a 26.75" arrow with 100gr inserts and 10gr collars and my arrows are 488gr with a 100gr point.
Do you use the iron will system? I’ve been eyeing the iron will system for a bit will probably build 1 dozen arrows at a time. Other than iron will would a 50gr brass insert and the 15gr titanium collar from podium archer be compatible?

nphunter

WKR
I do use IW in most of my arrows, I have some other inserts that are brass from another company, the only real advantage of IW over the others IMO is that IW can be removed and reused, they are also over twice as expensive so it's kind of a wash. I've never used any other collars, I agree with 5MB, collars aren't necessary, I've hunted a long time without them with zero issues. They can get hung up in bag targets which is a PITA, honestly, I don't think there is any realistic gain by using them unless you just want more weight up front, I started with 100gr inserts and 25gr collars. I have had 1 collar save an arrow when hitting a rock, however, the brass HIT that was inside of that arrow still bent so the collar only kept the carbon from breaking, the arrow still essentially was useless for hunting because it no longer spun true.

2soups

FNG
Hit insert (16 grain to 100 if you want) then for a collar I use iron will 10 grain ones

I've been shooting RIP TKO 250's the past 2 years with just 75gr brass HIT's and no collars without any issues. I've been shooting .204 arrows for 16 years now and haven't experienced a need for collars.

what broadhead are you shooting? I was looking at RIP TKO's last night, but i'm contemplating switching to some longer mechanicals and have concerns about the leverage those could place on the unsupported carbon.

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
you could use regular rips and save a boat load of money and get much better components than what comes with the tko's. There is no collar on them though. Regular rip comps are stainless vs the aluminum that comes with the tkos.

nphunter

WKR
what broadhead are you shooting? I was looking at RIP TKO's last night, but i'm contemplating switching to some longer mechanicals and have concerns about the leverage those could place on the unsupported carbon.

I use to shoot VAP's, I deflected and hit a limb one time and the arrow hit a tree like 10yds away sideways out of a 77lb bow. The broadhead broke off flush with the end of the carbon, the arrow ended up sticking like 1" deep in a tree nock first and the broken broadhead was sticking into the tree next to is like a Chinese star. The carbon in front of the hit looked perfectly fine with no collar.

Bigboone1988

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using the aluminum hit inserts with ethics archery collar for .204 arrows. Definitely cheaper than the iron will collars.

gelton

WKR
I shoot the RIP TKO's with 125 grain IW and a 50gr IW insert and haven't had a problem. Shot a cow last year, blasted through her front scapula destroyed her thorax had a passthrough. The arrow broke in half but the business end was fine with no damage up front.

I find they are much tougher than a .204 Axis that would commonly mushroom and fail upfront without a collar system.

I use to shoot VAP's, I deflected and hit a limb one time and the arrow hit a tree like 10yds away sideways out of a 77lb bow. The broadhead broke off flush with the end of the carbon, the arrow ended up sticking like 1" deep in a tree nock first and the broken broadhead was sticking into the tree next to is like a Chinese star. The carbon in front of the hit looked perfectly fine with no collar.
what broadhead?

I would echo the recommendation to use a hidden insert (HIT) with a .204" shaft. Easton's 16 gr aluminum HIT would be the cheapest option; they also offer a brass version in 50 and 75 gr. I personally don't think a collar is necessary, but if you wanted something cheap to provide a little external reinforcement, you could use a Top Hat protector ring as a miniature collar.

You shouldn't have any trouble staying below 470 gr total arrow weight. RIP TKO shafts are around 9 gpi. Shaft (240-260 gr depending on how long you cut it) + nock (10 gr) + wrap (10 gr) + vanes (15-20 gr) will be under 300 gr combined.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Ethics Archery has a code Rokslide10 if you care to try them.

I'd also not hesitate to use Iron Will's system, or a random HIT with Valkyrie collars.

I've used ethics collars for a few years now and have had zero issues. I use .204 with HIT / Collar exclusively. The insert system for the GT Airstrikes works with collars too. It almost looks like a RPS insert for .204 shafts.

Standard Easton HIT inserts and an Ethics or GoldTip collar are the easy button. Both are very affordable and should keep your arrows in that weight range.
Trying to take the next jump up in durability gets rather expensive. I went down that rabbit hole with my previous setup and found the gains weren't worth doubling the cost of each arrow. My new setup with Ethics or GT collars and standard HITs has proven to be very durable.