30-06 Rifle options

Decided to go with a 30-06 rifle as my first big game rifle. Came down to the cartridge being able to do everything pretty reasonably, until I am out of school again and can afford more specialized cartridges for what I want to shoot.

What are decent priced controlled round feed rifles that have been reliable for most? Also, what is the shortest barrel that you could go with and still get good performance out of? I will mainly be hunting whitetail in WI, but hopefully a trip or two out west for something. At reasonable, realistic, hunting distances.

I’ll preface my suggestion by saying that I know next to nothing about controlled vs. push feed. However, if you do expand your criteria to push feed, Tikka makes a damn nice rifle for the price. The actions are great, and it’s a highly customizable platform that you could upgrade as money allows. Huge fan of the stock Tikka trigger. I have a semi-Custom Tikka 30-06 that I am very pleased with.

DunnCoHunter

Lil-Rokslider
What is your price range you are looking at?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no experience with Kimber, but most who have kimbers speak highly of the Montana. Other than that, a model 70.

Generally, people don't go shorter than 22" on an '06 or you start to get into 308win performance territory.

I'd go with a model 70, maybe the extreme weather version if you have the budget. A Kimber Montana would be a great choice if you want something really lightweight.

Or save money on the rifle and get a push feed Tikka '06 and spend the extra on a durable scope

rootacres

WKR
Tikka or Bergara

I have first hand experience with both of these. They are both great. The T3X gets loads of love on Rokslide and for good reason. The B14 Hunter is late to the party but makes a great starter rifle and is gaining in popularity.

My Dads T3X in 300 WM was sub MOA out of the box. We threw a brake on it and killed a solid bull elk in 2020.

I had a Bergara B14 Hunter in 308 (great starter cartridge too if you're looking at a 30-06). Great trigger for the price point. You can grow with it, meaning trigger options, stocks etc. It shot sub MOA also. I got my 600 yd certification at my club with it and then ended up selling it to roll the funds into a higher end rifle.

*Christensen Arms Mesa is a phenomenal option too if you can bump to a $1250 budget or find one in the classifieds. I had a Ridgeline in 300 WSM that was awesome and my brother still has a Mesa in 308.

EDIT:

I just saw the part about "controlled round feed". I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Ruger Hawkeye. I wouldn't limit my search to controlled round feed over push feed for what you intend to do. I have that M77 Ruger action on my 450 Bushmaster. I like the action and the factory trigger is pretty darn good.

Last edited:

Ruger UL

FNG
Surely if you look you can find a 30-06 on a commercial Mauser action. I have one on a FN. Interarms makes a good one also. The new Rugers are controlled feed also. Last the model 70 Winchester is a good rifle, pretty too. I hunted with a 30-06 on a custom Springfield for 30 years. Not only a great shooter but a lucky rifle that still comes out when the end of season nears.

As Steve from GA said, the tikka is a heck of a rifle. I have a custom carbon fiber stock & barrel with action blue printed, etc off a tx3 action, But I still kept the factory trigger. Cant say I would have done that with a rem 700, savage, or most any other rifles.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah for $1000 or less and if the controlled feed is a must, I'd get a model 70. Winchester, made by miroku, is high quality

Vern400

WKR
I like my Remington 700 rifles but not sure where they are now for quality. Tikka has a good reputation. Real good. Bought a savage varmint 223 that shoots good but the Barrel took 200 rounds before I could pop 30 rounds without copper fouling. Unless you're going for dangerous game push feed is adequate. Absolutely Game Reaper mounts and a good scope. Don't go cheap there. Leupold has treated me well.

Good choice on the ought-six. It will do a lot, and handloaded it's pretty impressive for a 115 year old. And remember a 270 can be loaded to be trajectory equal to a 6.5 CM with a .277 bullet and a lot more punch. Plus she's only a 94 year old! Seriously either is a fine choice. I'm a 308 shooter primarily.

After you get rich, the 280 AI is pretty impressive and unless I'm mistaken it's a good rebarrel. But you should buy another rifle :)

Controlled feed points to Winchester M70.

GreenOne

FNG
You are an old soul and will not regret your choice. You can’t get much more classic than an -06 in a CRF Winchester. I have a Winchester classic stainless bought in the late 90’s that has been around the world with me. If you can stretch it I would pick up the M70 extreme weather in the Bell and Carlson stock. Great rifle that I recommend to a lot of guys looking for a CRF up here in Alaska. If you don’t want to spend that much you can not go wrong with a tikka.
The hunting your taking about, a CRF isn’t necessary. Back in the good olds a CRF was popular because some push feed rifles were unreliable these days any rifle from a reputable manufacture isn’t going to have issues. For me I don’t worry about CRF until I am looking at the bears of North America or toothy critters of the world.
If I was in your situation I would go with the tikka and give yourself options to grow into the rifle and put some good glass on top with the saved money.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJ19

WKR
Great caliber choice. Tikka or browning xbolt for newer rifles. Winchester model 70 or remington model 700 for older used rifles. In my opinion.

There are plenty of other good choices out there but those are sure things i think.

I have no experience with the tikkas and bergaras however from what it looks like both have decent aftermarket options. From what I remember, the tikkas bolt locks in the safe position. I am not sure if the remington clones like the bergara do that? I know alot don't care about that however if trekking miles, you don't want a gun to go out of battery and not fire due to the bolt lifting. Winchester and kimber will not have that issue due to their 3 position safety.

Now I have been out of school for 20 years or so however knowing what the western bug did to me in my mid 30's, I would not stow away money for more specialized cartridges if you have a 30-06 (less tag money lol). That gun will do anything you need it to do in North America and will continue to do so for a long time. Unless you really like to tinker and shoot (which could point you more in the direction of a remington clone for rebarreling, etc due to aftermarket support) I would invest in a quality scope and start to accumulate gear for a lifetime of adventure. Nearly any animal you shoot would not know the difference between a 30-06, 270, 308, etc.

Jmho

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
They should have stopped cartridge development after the '06 was introduced...

I've had Tikka, Winchester FW, HVA and Remington. All great rifles.
For a pure classic, I'd go with the Winchester M70 (the Alaskan would be nice).
Tikka is a great beater 'do the job' rifle.
My Remington is a long-range model with the 26" heavy barrel - 200gr partitions at 2800 will stop anything.
The HVA was a 20" bbl beast - might as well as had a 308.

One Man
One Rifle
One Land

Decided to go with a 30-06 rifle as my first big game rifle. Came down to the cartridge being able to do everything pretty reasonably, until I am out of school again and can afford more specialized cartridges for what I want to shoot.

What are decent priced controlled round feed rifles that have been reliable for most? Also, what is the shortest barrel that you could go with and still get good performance out of? I will mainly be hunting whitetail in WI, but hopefully a trip or two out west for something. At reasonable, realistic, hunting distances.
Im assuming based on your screen name that you're a Forestry student.. Steven's point?
As a western Forester I'd steer you towards a Tikka, but also consider the 270 that and the 06 are 22" barrels which is perfect

Spoonbill

WKR

Ruger m77 mkii or hawkeye is probably the best budget option for a crf gun.

Why CRF? Before getting stuck on it search a thread on here called “Mythbusting CRF”. That being said I love my push feed Tikka T3x in 30-06. And I have been able to get some decently hot speeds out of a 22” barrel with 165 grain bullets.