308win vs 6.5 CM - thoughts and questions

JRMiller

WKR
In my 15yrs with 308 and 6 or so with CM, here’s the pros/cons of each from my vantage.
308 bullets are easily found and come in countless variations.
6.5 bullets are easy to find but cost about %20 more and in not nearly as many variations.
308 factory ammo can be found in any shop, almost anywhere in the world.
6.5 ammo is definitely more common now but no where near like 308. Won’t find overseas.
308 has bullet commonality with many .30 cal platforms which is nice.
6.5 has bullet commonality with many 6.5 platforms which is nice
308 typically ( not always) has more kinetic energy needed for bigger game.
6.5 typically ( not always) has less energy, but more velocity, so the range at which it can still reliably expand a bullet can be farther
308, being heavier bullets, has more bullet drop, so at longer ranges drop calculations must be more precise, as well as more is required
6.5 being lighter bullets, have less drop and so point blank range and zero can be farther
308 will typically have higher recoil impulse
6.5 will typically have less recoil, much less if you do wish.
308 and CM share all the specs on a rifle except the barrel, so good interchangeability between the two
Other than that, I have found load development easier on the CM. It’s just easier to be accurate with.
Of all these, the reasons I prefer it for hunting last few years is accuracy, less bullet drop, farther point blank range.
In other words it takes less concentration to make a quick accurate shot with good placement
Ymmv

For typical hunting distances and >200 lb game, 308 is the boring winner. I figure the 6.5 has it's place, but it's not with me. I would just rather hunt to within 200 yards.

My first two questions would be 1) have you ever even shot 1000 yards (most people who talk about it, haven't and probably won't, but it is fun to think about), and 2) have you ever shot enough rounds to burn up a barrel? And if so, how did you know the barrel was burned up?

That said, you already have a .308 you can use for elk hunting if you feel you need a .308. So just build the 6.5 CM and go have fun. If you use a barrel nut, you can swap barrels yourself once the time comes.

When you buy a creedmoor, you will get this urge to tell everyone you have a creedmoor. You will begin to throw out 1000 yards like it is a chip shot, your hat brim gets flat and you start saying bro, tight and phat.
you won't tell them you have a creedmoor. you'll tell them you're "running" one. ;)

When you buy a creedmoor, you will get this urge to tell everyone you have a creedmoor. You will begin to throw out 1000 yards like it is a chip shot, your hat brim gets flat and you start saying bro, tight and phat.

When you buy a Creedmoor that is also a Barrett Fieldcraft, this urge is unavoidable. It would be physically damaging to your health to try and ignore it. Embrace it before it overwhelms you. Here is the 6.5 I am currently running. 😁 👀

20191205_150835.jpg

16Bore

WKR
Why do I feel like your apology is as hollow as a Clinton campaign promise?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Hello,

I need a little advice.

I’ve finally paid off some massive debt and now want to have a little fun building a new
rifle.

Thought it was pretty solid advice, maybe I misunderstood the need to mention the prior debt.

Then again, WGAF?

CO-AJ

WKR
Couple other points to all of the above sage advice. If you are hunting in way rural somewhere and you need ammo, so you stop into Slappy's Service station assuming he carries ammo he will have .308 on the shelf. While 6.5 has gained in popularity likely Slappy may not have 6.5 CM. Second, you can find much better prices on .308 and reloading is easy as the references are plentiful. If I was only punching paper at 1000+ I would consider the 6.5, although I think 6mm is best for high precision applications. For hunting applications hands down the .308.

Hello,

I need a little advice.

I’ve finally paid off some massive debt and now want to have a little fun building a new
rifle.

Thought it was pretty solid advice, maybe I misunderstood the need to mention the prior debt.

Then again, WGAF?
It nice to have someone make you look l
Hello,

I need a little advice.

rifle.

Then again, WGAF?
I guess you shouldn’t Assume...

OP
Oregonboy

Oregonboy

WKR
Thanks for the helpful advice and concern for my financial well-being. I guess I opened a can of worms with that “paid off my debt” comment.

For the record, I’ve been a home owner since 2014. The debt was mostly from college. I worked hard to pay everything off so now my only monthly obligations are mortgage and bills. I bought my bow in 2011 (mid range hoyt) and haven’t upgraded. My 308 is stock and was bought in 2012 or 2013, can’t remember.

I’ve saved cash for this “build” and am ready to have some fun after years of financial discipline.

Regardless, after digesting the comments and taking time to think about what I want in a rifle, I’ll be keeping the 308. Maybe I’ll invest in a limbsaver and/or a suppressor if my shoulder can’t learn to live with the recoil. if I want to make it more custom I can always get some after market parts (stock, trigger, etc).

thanks again guys, the wisdom and willingness to share is very much appreciated.

Thanks for the helpful advice and concern for my financial well-being. I guess I opened a can of worms with that “paid off my debt” comment.

For the record, I’ve been a home owner since 2014. The debt was mostly from college. I worked hard to pay everything off so now my only monthly obligations are mortgage and bills. I bought my bow in 2011 (mid range hoyt) and haven’t upgraded. My 308 is stock and was bought in 2012 or 2013, can’t remember.

I’ve saved cash for this “build” and am ready to have some fun after years of financial discipline.

Regardless, after digesting the comments and taking time to think about what I want in a rifle, I’ll be keeping the 308. Maybe I’ll invest in a limbsaver and/or a suppressor if my shoulder can’t learn to live with the recoil. if I want to make it more custom I can always get some after market parts (stock, trigger, etc).

thanks again guys, the wisdom and willingness to share is very much appreciated.

You can also shoot lighter bullets and reduced recoil loads if that is a real issue. I "run" a 30.06 in addition to the 6.5 and never have had the slightest thought on recoil, just figured this was how shooting guns worked.

Dont forget "sick for it"

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I get a lot of enjoyment out of reading some of these. The term "I digress" seems applicable. However, I digress.

To the OP, grab yourself a 6.5. They are tons of fun, and reaching 1,000 yards is an accomplishment that is far too casually bandied about. The 308 is also a phenomenal round. As is the 300 win mag, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm-08, .25-06, .243, 6mm CM, and the list goes on. Good luck finding what you love. It turns into a lifelong pursuit for most of us.

Honestly, either get a suppressor or put on a muzzle brake. Being able to spot your shots thru your scope can help with follow up shots. It really helps if you ever get into PRS shooting competitions. I do not really compete, but I really enjoy shooting in the matches.