6.5 C or 308?

KenLee

WKR
What specifically does that 0.02" additional bullet diameter give you?

That's the thickness of a fingernail.
More confidence based on the terminal performance I've witnessed. Shorter runs with similar shot placement. Better bloodtrails with similar shot placement. I've literally ran types of the same factory ammo in both chamberings to compare results.
One thing I've learned in 50 years of hunting is that confidence in your equipment is a big deal. I've moved off alot of equipment that buyers were happy with their bargains because that particular equipment didn't give me the "warm and fuzzies".

Marshfly

WKR
More confidence based on the terminal performance I've witnessed. Shorter runs with similar shot placement. Better bloodtrails with similar shot placement. I've literally ran types of the same factory ammo in both chamberings to compare results.
One thing I've learned in 50 years of hunting is that confidence in your equipment is a big deal. I've moved off alot of equipment that buyers were happy with their bargains because that particular equipment didn't give me the "warm and fuzzies".

I 100% agree that confidence trumps everything else, as long as that confidence is not false as was the case with my friend who’s miss I relayed above.

These two rounds are so similar that none of this really matters at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woods89

WKR
I just spend several days at a lodge where they shot 6.5 for a precision shooting class all day. We shot 5 cow elk over 2 days, 4 with a 6.5 and one with a 28 Nosler. According to the these guys who have seen hundreds or even thousands of elk killed, a lot with the 6.5, and what we witnessed I am now a firm believer the 6.5 is seriously under gunned for elk out past a few hundred yards. They all said they have seen a lot of elk die very badly with a 6.5. One of the hunters at 550 yards put 3 rounds right though the lungs and that elk did not flinch and did not want to fall. Finally after a 4th shot it went down. Not saying it would not kill it, of course it did and will, just saying it by no means knocked that elk off it's feet. Every guide said they cringe when the guests want to use the same 6.5 they used on the range. I won't do it ever again, no desire to track an elk even 50 yards when a big caliber will knock it down even with a misplaced shot. I would not want a 6.5 in my hands for an elk of a lifetime. The 28 Nosler killed the elk instantly at 600 yards, even though the 6.5 was better placed.

You're really gonna be horrified when you run across the 223 thread......

I'd love to know what bullet was involved. Over in the 6.5/260 thread we have quite a few drama free elk kills, and it seems like the lesson is that bullets matter.....

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
No way man. I don’t believe it. You can Texas heart shoot an elk with a 28 Nosler and it will literally blow end over end. DRT!

Gut shoot an elk with a 28 Nosler dead where it stands. DRT.
Hell, sometimes you don’t even have to hit them with that 28 Nosler. You just close enough to an elk and that dang ole bullet displaces enough air that elk will die from lack of oxygen DRT of course.
Texas heart shot is one of the most deadly shots on game. I was a chronic offender years ago when I was in shape to do alot of walking and jump shots.

amassi

WKR
You're really gonna be horrified when you run across the 223 thread......

I'd love to know what bullet was involved. Over in the 6.5/260 thread we have quite a few drama free elk kills, and it seems like the lesson is that bullets matter.....

Bet money it’s a mono or bonded so it wouldn’t bounce off those armored shoulders

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
My God, where to even start.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous and ignorant statements I’ve ever read anywhere
“no desire to track an elk even 50 yards when a big caliber will knock it down even with a misplaced shot.”.

Unless you’re sure shooting some type of field artillery, there’s not a bullet that’s going to be launched out of a centerfire rifle that is going to knock an elk down unless you shoot it in the brain or spinal column.
Fuddlore will never die.
You missed the point 100%. It's not always 50 yards, notice the key word "Even" in that sentance. I simply pointed out the opinion of elk guides who have seen hundreds or thousands of elk shot and tens of thousands maybe 100s of thousands of 6.5 rounds over the years, as well as one of the most famous hunters in the planet. I'm not even sure how many elk are taken off that ranch each year, 50-100 is my guess. Everyone one of them had the exact same opinion, would be irresponsible to not listen or at least take into account their opinions. It's the first time I have seen a 6.5 used on an elk and I was not impressed at all. The 6.5 always has a fanboy base, just not sure why the base gets so emotional. I love shooting it as much as anyone else. Also, yes some elk drop in their tracks, that's not true at all, people claim to do it every day. Sorry respectfully disagree.

Last edited:

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
No way man. I don’t believe it. You can Texas heart shoot an elk with a 28 Nosler and it will literally blow end over end. DRT!

Gut shoot an elk with a 28 Nosler dead where it stands. DRT.
Hell, sometimes you don’t even have to hit them with that 28 Nosler. You just close enough to an elk and that dang ole bullet displaces enough air that elk will die from lack of oxygen DRT of course.
The 28 Nosler stopped it dead in it's tracks with 1 shot at a further distance that the rest of the elk we were hunting, other 5 with a 6.5 all had to be shot multiple times.

Marshfly

WKR
The 28 Nosler stopped it dead in it's tracks with 1 shot at a further distance that the rest of the elk we were hunting, other 5 with a 6.5 all had to be shot multiple times.

Had to be? Or were because the shooters were still on target and could? Big difference.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Had to be? Or were because the shooters were still on target and could? Big difference.

I will post the video if I can....One of the elk took two 6.5 right in the lungs and didn't seem t even know she was shot. She finally fell on the 4th shot .Again just my limited opinion, I wasn't impressed. I'm as guilty as anyone of shooting game with too small a round also. I'm not defending it, I'm sure I have lost an animal or two as well because of it. Shot Zebra with a 7mm-08 which was pretty dumb honestly, I paid the price a few times. All the elk were retrieved, 2 at a decent distance, just didn't seem to hammer them the way the 28 did. Like I said If I have the elk of a lifetime 15 min before dark I would want something bigger if I had the choice.

woods89

WKR
I will post the video if I can....One of the elk took two 6.5 right in the lungs and didn't seem t even know she was shot. .Again just my opinion I wasn't impressed. I'm as guilty as anyone of shooting game with too small a round also. I'm not defending it, I'm sure I have lost an animal or two as well because of it. Shot Zebra with a 7mm-08 which was pretty dumb honestly, I paid the price a few times. All the elk were retrieved, 2 at a decent distance, just didn't seem to hammer them the way the 28 did. Like I said If I have the elk of a lifetime 15 min before dark I would want something bigger if I had the choice.

Again, which bullets in those 6.5s? It makes a difference.

If the bull of a lifetime walks out in front of me I want the rifle that I shoot 100s of rounds through in the course of a year.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Again, which bullets in those 6.5s? It makes a difference.

If the bull of a lifetime walks out in front of me I want the rifle that I shoot 100s of rounds through in the course of a year.
Sorry 140s ELD, not sure what was used on the 28, assuming the 175 Accubonds. Valid argument for sure on hundreds of rounds...I supposed I agree on that front as well. These were all custom range rifles that were beyond accurate, and all data know. When a 15 year old kid can jump on a rifle and hit 1200 yard small targets by the 10th round of a lifetime....You get the point...

OP
B

BCD

WKR
My God, where to even start.

This has to be one of the most ridiculous and ignorant statements I’ve ever read anywhere
“no desire to track an elk even 50 yards when a big caliber will knock it down even with a misplaced shot.”.

Unless you’re sure shooting some type of field artillery, there’s not a bullet that’s going to be launched out of a centerfire rifle that is going to knock an elk down unless you shoot it in the brain or spinal column.
Fuddlore will never die.
This is not accurate. I dropped my bull right where he stood with one shot from a 300WSM and I did not hit the brain or spinal column. I understand your point though.

The 6.5 CM will get the job done. That is established. Personally, I would prefer a cartridge with more velocity and/or diameter.