6.5 PRC or 7mm SAUM

My vote would be for the 7 saum. Great case design, great bc bullets available, more efficient powder burn than most 7mm cartridges, low recoil, and very very accurate. Just have the barrel throated so you can load those big pills way out there, to make room for more powder. I'm pushing the 175 eldx at 3005 fps, with excellent case life (10+ reloads).
View attachment 186673

How long of barrel and what powder?

R_burg

WKR
My vote would be for the 7 saum. Great case design, great bc bullets available, more efficient powder burn than most 7mm cartridges, low recoil, and very very accurate. Just have the barrel throated so you can load those big pills way out there, to make room for more powder. I'm pushing the 175 eldx at 3005 fps, with excellent case life (10+ reloads).
View attachment 186673
I like this build - what are the specs?

PowellSixO

Lil-Rokslider
I like this build - what are the specs?
Tikka action, proof 26” 1:8 twist, McMillan ultra lite game warden stock bedded, tikka trigger with spring, nf rings, nf nxs 5.5-22 scope. Shoots amazing. Around 8lbs with sling, ammo, bipod, and everything.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
What barrel lengths are you guys using for the 7 saum? I have a T3 300wsm with a 19.5", the previous owner had it shortened down. I am thinking of rebarreling in 6.5prc or 7 saum, I predominately chase mature Canadian WT. I'm looking to get a bit closer in recoil to my 25.06.

Is there a recoil calculator that people prefer?

Thanks.

Just picked up a tikka for a donor build for a lightweight 6.5 PRC or 7mm SAUM. Will be running as a long action so no worries about magazine issues. Going to be used from antelope to elk. For you guys that have had both with do you prefer. I’m thinking I’d run Berger 168 or 180 in SAUM and 140 or 156 in PRC
I’d go with the 6.5 PRC

carter33

WKR
I have a 6.5PRC that I absolutely love. I have been running the 143 eldx(hand loads) through it and have had some odd results admittedly. The first animal I shot was a caribou at about 250 yards. My first shot was through at least one lung but never exited, the caribou didn’t even act like I had hit it, second shot about an inch back dropped it but again no exit. A few weeks later I shot a goat just shy of 100 yard and had a complete pass through with what seemed like great performance but never recovered the bullet. Last animal was a caribou again at 470yds quartering away and it took both lungs and exited, worked perfect.

Still not sure what to make of the bullet but I do love the rifle. That being said caribou are usually not a hard animal to put down and that first caribou has me questioning the cartridge. I am having a 7SAUM built now on an XLR chassis and am planning on shooting the 145 barnes lrx or an equivalent hammer bullet. I think with this combo I would feel comfortable shooting even a moose but cannot say I would feel good with the 6.5 PRC. If elk is gonna be a yearly thing at some point I think you’re better off stepping up to a 7mm.

Bullet choice matters though and maybe my questioning my 6.5PRC is from the bullet...

jfs82

WKR
I have a 6.5PRC that I absolutely love. I have been running the 143 eldx(hand loads) through it and have had some odd results admittedly. The first animal I shot was a caribou at about 250 yards. My first shot was through at least one lung but never exited, the caribou didn’t even act like I had hit it, second shot about an inch back dropped it but again no exit. A few weeks later I shot a goat just shy of 100 yard and had a complete pass through with what seemed like great performance but never recovered the bullet. Last animal was a caribou again at 470yds quartering away and it took both lungs and exited, worked perfect.

Still not sure what to make of the bullet but I do love the rifle. That being said caribou are usually not a hard animal to put down and that first caribou has me questioning the cartridge. I am having a 7SAUM built now on an XLR chassis and am planning on shooting the 145 barnes lrx or an equivalent hammer bullet. I think with this combo I would feel comfortable shooting even a moose but cannot say I would feel good with the 6.5 PRC. If elk is gonna be a yearly thing at some point I think you’re better off stepping up to a 7mm.

Bullet choice matters though and maybe my questioning my 6.5PRC is from the bullet...
From what you are describing... I've read a lot of reports like this based on that exact bullet.

rootacres

WKR
The 6.5 PRC is all the rage right now but I do really like the bullet options in the 7mm line up. Also it may be worth considering a 7mm WSM. With you running a long action the 7mm WSM is going to give you a little bit more than a 7mm SAUM. Just a thought.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not OP, but for me the decision is between a 7 saum, 7wsm, 6.5 prc or just sell the T3 and find a Finnlight in 7mm-08.
Regardless of what I go with it will have a 20” barrel or very close. I actually want the rifle for still hunting more than long range. But where I hunt it doesn’t hurt to have the option to reach out to 4-500 yards. But out of the last 8 deer I have taken, the furthest was just inside of 250 yards and most inside of 50.
What kind of recoil difference are we talking on avg?

N2TRKYS

WKR
My 7 SAUM has a 22” barrel. I’m shooting 160 grain Partitions @2960 and 160 grain Accubonds @2950.

FFastEddie

Lil-Rokslider
Decide between 7mm or 6.5. Just remember, this is America, you can have both!
I've got a soft spot for 7s but, the big 6.5s are cool too.
Some think the saum is not big enough for the 195s. If not, the 184s and 180s will do just fine.

I had a hard time deciding as well so I actually ended up with both haha. I picked up a bighorn origin long action and a 22" proof carbon prefit in 6.5prc and then picked up a 24" proof prefit in 7 saum. Really like both offerings but the saum barrel is on more often that the prc

BPollard

Lil-Rokslider
I went 7SAUM. It made sense for me. I already have a few 264 caliber rifles. I wanted an every day backpacking Coues rifle that could do sheep, bears, caribou, goats and the occasional backpacking elk hunt if needed. I was tired of lugging the heavy, long, and heavy recoiling 30s around, but wanted more punch than my lighter 6.5CM. My hunting partner just bought a CA Ridgeline TI in 6.5PRC. We're doing break in on it tomorrow. My Saum is on a med length action and was a full tilt everything I wanted build. I think the 7saum is here to stay. It will never be as popular as a 6.5PRC or 28nosler, but it has a purpose. Many find them, like the 280ai, to be a great compromise between ballistics and recoil. I also kicked around the idea of 7max, but can always go that route later. The factory offerings for ammo hold no weight with me, but that probably plays a role in many people's decisions.
I’ve been thinking about building a seven saum because I want to be able to shoot heavier bullets than my seven Weatherby will allow because of the age and twist rate of the barrel. I have a 65 creed and a 65 300 to cover those bases. I also shoot a 300 saum. Which I thought was a no-brainer 7 mm bullet is definitely a champ. No matter what you do you’ll enjoy it and have fun

brocksw

WKR
Just picked up a tikka for a donor build for a lightweight 6.5 PRC or 7mm SAUM. Will be running as a long action so no worries about magazine issues. Going to be used from antelope to elk. For you guys that have had both with do you prefer. I’m thinking I’d run Berger 168 or 180 in SAUM and 140 or 156 in PRC
don't over think it. If you don't reload, I'd go 6.5 PRC. If you do, figure out the bullet weight you want to shoot, figure out which caliber offers the best BC for that bullet weight, boom you've got your answer.

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
6.5 prc. there are a lot of bullet choices, (future) good brass selection, supposed to be more forgiving to load for.