7saum popularity?

That one is a little harder to understand the logic of with saum, SS, and 284 brass out there already..

Agreed-- sort of a solution without a problem. My guess is they will sell a bunch because it will ride the popularity wave of the 6.5PRC and folks won't realize there are pre-existing, better options.

That is a lot of velocity out of 6.5 PRC case with a 180gr bullet. The 6.5 struggles getting a 156 there with anything shorter than a 24" barrel, and maybe not even then.
Yup! I think there was some discussion about case capacity basically right around the 284win and how in that range it was reaching those velocities. No load data or reamer info was present.

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
7 saum and wsm are awesome rounds. I shoot a wsm but would will do a saum on next go around due to the adg brass for the saum. Baffles me why adg, peterson or lapua won't make wsm brass. Saum will also run a little better in a short action. Should be able to shoot 180s just fine in a SA with wyatt extended box mag.

fatbacks

WKR
I didn’t read all of the previous posts. I built a 7 Saum this year because I wanted a 7mm rifle and ADG made brass for it. Premium brass was basically the deciding factor.

After putting the whole package together it was the easiest load development I’ve ever done. Shoots 175 ELDx like a dream over H4350. Looking forward to shooting a sheep with this in August!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Anybody shooting one in a 22” or shorter barrel? What bullets and speeds are you getting? Ideally I’d like 20” to offset the suppressor.

Mine is 22”. Damn barrel seems to keep speeding up and finding pressure earlier and it has over 200 rounds through it now so I’m going to start over with a different powder/bullet combo. Was trying to shoot a 175 eldx in the low 2800s over h1000 but even after stepping down the charge it was climbing up to around 2860 FPS. That would probably be pretty safe with RL26 but it’s hot with h1000 in my rifle.

Jakeweb09

WKR
Mine is 22”. Damn barrel seems to keep speeding up and finding pressure earlier and it has over 200 rounds through it now so I’m going to start over with a different powder/bullet combo. Was trying to shoot a 175 eldx in the low 2800s over h1000 but even after stepping down the charge it was climbing up to around 2860 FPS. That would probably be pretty safe with RL26 but it’s hot with h1000 in my rifle.

What barrel are you using?

Go for it. I have a 7mm WSM and it has great with 150 TSX 160 accubonds and 168 bergers. I am sure the 7 saum will be just as good.

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
Anybody shooting one in a 22” or shorter barrel? What bullets and speeds are you getting? Ideally I’d like 20” to offset the suppressor.

Mine is a 22” bartlein CFW #4 8.5 twist. Planning on using my Dominus CB, fingers crossed they both should get here at the end of next month! Starting with ADG brass, Berger 175 Elite Hunter over R23...

Jakeweb09

WKR
Mine is a 22” bartlein CFW #4 8.5 twist. Planning on using my Dominus CB, fingers crossed they both should get here at the end of next month! Starting with ADG brass, Berger 175 Elite Hunter over R23...

Be curious the velocity you get with this set up! If I build a shorter barreled one I was thinking 168s to get velocity up, and I plan on running a dead air nomad

carter33

WKR
I have one currently being built with a 20” barrel and am planning on starting with the 145LRX or similar weight hammer. From what I have gathered it should be able to push them 3000fps+. Anyone pushing lighter bullets with shorter barrels?

I may take it moose hunting which is why I was leaning towards going with the monos and a little lighter since speed is their friend especially if shooting game at longer ranges.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I have one currently being built with a 20” barrel and am planning on starting with the 145LRX or similar weight hammer. From what I have gathered it should be able to push them 3000fps+. Anyone pushing lighter bullets with shorter barrels?

I may take it moose hunting which is why I was leaning towards going with the monos and a little lighter since speed is their friend especially if shooting game at longer ranges.

i looked at the lrx and planned to shoot them in my 300wm, but the bc in those eldx are too much to pass up! How long until you’re build is done? I’d love to hear some speed results. I really want a 20” barrel but I’d like to stay in the 2800+ range on the 175 eldx. Not sure I can get there with a 20”.

Man I’m glad you posted this OP! I’ve been kicking around the same build idea with my tikka 300 WM and have had a lot of the same questions you’ve asked. I want to go 22” barrel if I do build it. I contacted Oregon Mountain Rifles a couple weeks ago asking if they would do a saum build and they do, I’ve since seen them post a few pictures of rifles and groups they’ve done of tikka 7 saum.

deadwolf

WKR
4275f20a32f66072f01df9d2e592d5ae.jpg

I think you’ll like the SAUM, do yourself a favor and build on a medium action!

Mine likes H1000 and Berger 180s at 2800fps. Gonna try some PVA 170 Cayugas when I get time.

Lone Peak Fuzion Ti
Manners EH1
Trigger tech
Proof Sendero 22”
Hawkins bottom metal and brake

Usually shooting through a TBAC ultra 7 and topped it with a NF NX8 2.5-20

I disagree that the following of the 7 SAUM is due to marketing, as there sure aren’t any factory options really anymore, so certainly no one marketing them, they’re all customs. The hype comes from the easy load development, near 7 rem mag performance (better in my opinion) and for me the ability to shoot the 180s at a decent speed out of a short barrel. Is it a 28 nosler? No, but it uses a lot less powder, with less recoil. If I didn’t reload though, I wouldn’t get one : )

deadwolf

WKR

Any chance you have a carbon ring? Pressures and speeding up would make me want to check for one.