Affordable Base Layers?

Jplus4

FNG
You said you had the 250. I wouldn't have thought you were crazy if you said you had the 230!
Sorry for the confusion. In my OP I said 230 with 250 in parentheses since I couldn't remember and am not in front of them.
I think I've spent waaay too much time on the KUIU site lately looking at all of their gear.
Back on the topic... I will be buying something cheaper in the 180 merino since it's a base layer and doesn't need to be camo.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
How often do you guys just wear your base layers? I'd imagine that if I'm hunting in August in Utah it'd be pretty often, but if I'm in Colorado in September I'm probably gonna have a base layer and mid-layer on when stalking?

How often do you guys just wear your base layers? I'd imagine that if I'm hunting in August in Utah it'd be pretty often, but if I'm in Colorado in September I'm probably gonna have a base layer and mid-layer on when stalking?

I always wear a base layer. When it's hot, they wick away moisture really well, and when it's cold, they keep me warm. I almost only use Merino Wool. I prefer Kuiu, but to keep things affordable, I sometimes look on Sierra Trading Post for merino wool base layers that have a high rating and a low, special price. I have gotten some great deals there!

sk1

WKR
if you're looking for camo and a good deal i dont think you will do better than core4, if you decide to spend more money, id go firstlite as far as your camo peices are concerned anyways. i do not care for my kuiu merino pieces so far, at least the 185....just not very durable compared to firstlite, the 250 is fine.

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
You guys that own Core4 stuff, can you dry it without it falling apart?

RUTTIN

WKR
You guys that own Core4 stuff, can you dry it without it falling apart?

I've always just hung mine up to dry, you know afraid that it will shrink being wool and all. Hanging it up to dry only takes about 5 min if it is outside.

JNDEER

WKR
I prefer my first lite (next to skin) over the core4.
My core4 is cut small on the bottom back and shrunk a tad when I dried it. I now hang it.
I have worn and washed it probably 10 times with no issues.

I wear the firstlite next to skin with the core4 zip (merino layer) over that. If it is colder I then wear the core4 medium weight poly shirt over that and their jacket if need be.
Hiking in the local hills here hunting pigs this system has worked out very nice.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Ive used First Lite, Kuiu, Smartwool, Minus 33, Red Ram and Icebreaker - I'd say the cheaper end Minus 33 and Red Ram 100% Merino wool are the way to go. The first lite is a tiny bit softer then those two but its pricier too. I've beaten my merino shirts up from those companies with tons of use and they have held up great.

If just using a as a base layer and not concerned about the camo pattern I'd stay with a mountaineering merino shirt like the smartwools, red ram, icebreaker. Cheaper and works great

OP
R

rhendrix

WKR
Picked up the pivot top, two 190 base layers, gloves and a hat off of camp fire today for less than 150.

My only need now is a puffy vest or jacket and maybe rain gear, I'm still debating if I should just use my APX Gale jacket for a rain coat or if I should invest in a dedicated rain top and leave the gale jacket at home.

OR Archer

WKR
Well if you aren't against using non camo clothing you can pick up some great deals on BackcountryGear.com in their clearance section. They carry a lot of great gear over there. Great people to deal with.

Wrongside

WKR
The stuff at Costco is priced well, but from what I remember, it's not 100% merino wool. I have some Core4 and some Stoic, love the merino, but the 185 weight stuff seems a little fragile.

coues,

It may have only been a local thing, but our COSTCO carried a merino/poly blend, as well as 100% merino, Made in Canada, products. Well priced at $20.00 per piece too. I grabbed two tops, just to try out, and now wish I'd stocked up instead. The stuff seems to be every bit as good as my MEC or KUIU merino, and has already proven to be more durable than the much more expensive KUIU.

R3B3

FNG
Backcountry.com has Stoic brand merino on sale right now.
I've used it for a while now and have no complaints.
Cabela's also had some First Light on sale.

I am looking for the same but I think I am going to pull the trigger on kryptek merino elephant skin, although I was going to buy the top but I can't find it on their website now, $59 is not a bad price.

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
Sierra Trading Post has Redram (by Icebreaker) merino in stock right now. The camo color is a neutral earth tone. I have used Redram in the past and believe the quality is good. I bought 7 more pieces today. The keycode KJR0954P will give you an additional 30% off the sale prices today and tomorrow. T-shirts $20.96, long sleeve t or leggings $25.86, long sleeve zip t $30.80, boxer briefs $13.65. Hard to beat those prices for a good piece that is 100% merino.